Thecus N1050 Nano won't show up as external hd!

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
I'm currently using the Thecus Nano N1050 with a 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 IDE hard drive. The light turns on, and I can hear the hard drive clicking (that's normal, right?) but it doesn't appear as an external hard drive. I e-mailed Thecus tech support, and the guy wrote back telling me to go to Disk Management (Control Panel --> Admin Tools --> Comp Management --> Disk Management) and should find it listed there and that I just needed to format it and it'll show up. Unfortunately, it wasn't listed and that didn't work. I'm waiting for a reply, but I decided to post here hoping I can perhaps find a solution quicker here. Any ideas?

I did see a comment in newegg.com that the Thecus was finicky with the Travelstar, but that's it.... :(

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
Actually, I just received word from the tech guy, Kevin, that the reason why it was clicking is because it wasn't receiving enough power (even w/ the USB transfer cable and supplied USB power cable), so I had to use AA battery pack. It works now! =) Nothing wrong with the Thecus, or the Hitachi Travelstar for now.

I feel dumb for making this post earlier.. :oops:

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
Well, sorta. According to Kevin, he said that certain laptop 2.5" IDE hard drives require more voltage to function than what the USB voltage can offer. The Thecus N1050 Nano comes with a battery pack in which you put in 4 AA batteries and it starts up the hard drive. Currently, I'm using the Hitachi Travelstar 7K100, so I guess that particular ones needs more power? But other than that, it does what it should, and I'm pretty happy with it.