XP locks up at user screen

Glen

When I boot up Xp it gets to the user screen where I select a user to sign
into XP with, then displays a Dell logo and locks up. I believe I have a
virus, but can't figure out how to boot up to a dos prompt so I can Fdisk the
drive and reinstall the software. When I hit F8 on startup doing to a dos
prompt is not one of the options. Is there another way to get the system to
boot up (don't have an emergency disk) to reformat the drive ? Or a better
way to try to get rid of the virus ?

Boot to Safe Mode and run your anti-virus scanner.

"Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I boot up Xp it gets to the user screen where I select a user to sign
> into XP with, then displays a Dell logo and locks up. I believe I have a
> virus, but can't figure out how to boot up to a dos prompt so I can Fdisk
the
> drive and reinstall the software. When I hit F8 on startup doing to a dos
> prompt is not one of the options. Is there another way to get the system
> boot up (don't have an emergency disk) to reformat the drive ? Or a
better
> way to try to get rid of the virus ?

Glen

I can't when I try to go to Safe Mode, it locks up when I click on one of the
user names.