Display Properties - No "Desktop" tab

I'm using XP Home, SP2. While attempting to change my Desktop background picture, I find no "Desktop" tab in my "Display Properties" window.
Somehow the tabs must have changed because my current picture is one I chose myself a few weeks ago. I still have "Themes", "Screensaver", "Appearance" and "Settings"; just no "Desktop."
What has my tweeking begot?
Thanks,
Dave

Check your Registry. Run regedit and search for
NoDispBackgroundPage. It would be located in these two places:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane modify the value of NoDispBackgroundPage to 0.
If that key doesn't exist then create one with a DWord value of
0. Back up your registry before making any of these changes.

Nepatsfan

"Dave B" <dbardue@wavecable.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP Home, SP2. While attempting to change my Desktop
> background picture, I find no "Desktop" tab in my "Display
> Properties" window. Somehow the tabs must have changed because
> my current picture is one I chose myself a few weeks ago. I
> still have "Themes", "Screensaver", "Appearance" and
> "Settings"; just no "Desktop."
> What has my tweeking begot?
> Thanks,
> Dave

I've got to read these posts before I hit send. Forget about the
NoDispBackgroundPage. Look for an entry in the right pane for
ClassicShell. If it's there modify it's value to 0. If it's not
then create a new DWord whose value is 0.

Sorry for the confusion.

Nepatsfan
"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
> Check your Registry. Run regedit and search for
> NoDispBackgroundPage. It would be located in these two places:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>
> In the right pane modify the value of NoDispBackgroundPage to
> 0. If that key doesn't exist then create one with a DWord value
> of 0. Back up your registry before making any of these changes.
>
> Nepatsfan
>

> "Dave B" <dbardue@wavecable.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using XP Home, SP2. While attempting to change my Desktop
>> background picture, I find no "Desktop" tab in my "Display
>> Properties" window. Somehow the tabs must have changed because
>> my current picture is one I chose myself a few weeks ago. I
>> still have "Themes", "Screensaver", "Appearance" and
>> "Settings"; just no "Desktop."
>> What has my tweeking begot?
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

Thank you, Nepatsfan.
I did find ClassicShell and it looks like this:
(Name) (Type) (Data)
ClassicShell REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
Just above that line is:
(Name) (Type) (Data)
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't even know how to recognize a "value" to modify it. I'm thinking a value should be in quotes like "---"
Please help if you will.

Thanks,
Dave

Nepatsfan wrote:
> I've got to read these posts before I hit send. Forget about the
> NoDispBackgroundPage. Look for an entry in the right pane for
> ClassicShell. If it's there modify it's value to 0. If it's not
> then create a new DWord whose value is 0.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Nepatsfan
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
>
>>Check your Registry. Run regedit and search for
>>NoDispBackgroundPage. It would be located in these two places:
>>
>>HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>
>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>
>>In the right pane modify the value of NoDispBackgroundPage to
>>0. If that key doesn't exist then create one with a DWord value
>>of 0. Back up your registry before making any of these changes.
>>
>>Nepatsfan
>>

>>"Dave B" <dbardue@wavecable.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm using XP Home, SP2. While attempting to change my Desktop
>>>background picture, I find no "Desktop" tab in my "Display
>>>Properties" window. Somehow the tabs must have changed because
>>>my current picture is one I chose myself a few weeks ago. I
>>>still have "Themes", "Screensaver", "Appearance" and
>>>"Settings"; just no "Desktop."
>>>What has my tweeking begot?
>>>Thanks,
>>>Dave

Actually, I should have pointed that out. Where you see
0x00000001 (1) means it's value is now set to 1. Right click on
ClassicShell. You should see a menu with a Modify line. Click on
that and change the value to 0. Click on OK. In the right pane,
you should now see.
ClassicShell REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
That should fix the problem.

> Thank you, Nepatsfan.
> I did find ClassicShell and it looks like this:
> (Name) (Type) (Data)
> ClassicShell REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1) Just above that line is:
> (Name) (Type) (Data)
> (Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
>
> Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't even know how to
> recognize a "value" to modify it. I'm thinking a value should
> be in quotes like "---"
> Please help if you will.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
> Nepatsfan wrote:
>> I've got to read these posts before I hit send. Forget about
>> the NoDispBackgroundPage. Look for an entry in the right pane
>> for ClassicShell. If it's there modify it's value to 0. If
>> it's not then create a new DWord whose value is 0.
>>
>> Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Check your Registry. Run regedit and search for
>>>NoDispBackgroundPage. It would be located in these two places:
>>>
>>>HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>>
>>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
>>>
>>>In the right pane modify the value of NoDispBackgroundPage to
>>>0. If that key doesn't exist then create one with a DWord
>>>value of 0. Back up your registry before making any of these
>>>changes.
>>>
>>>Nepatsfan
>>>

>>>"Dave B" <dbardue@wavecable.com> wrote in message

Thank you, Nepatsfan,
It worked! I'll condense this info and put it in my little but growing Computing tips folder for future reference.
Thanks again for your patience.
Dave B

Nepatsfan wrote:
> Actually, I should have pointed that out. Where you see
> 0x00000001 (1) means it's value is now set to 1. Right click on
> ClassicShell. You should see a menu with a Modify line. Click on
> that and change the value to 0. Click on OK. In the right pane,
> you should now see.
> ClassicShell REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
> That should fix the problem.
>
> Nepatsfan
> "Dave B" <dbardue@wavecable.com> wrote in message
>
>>Thank you, Nepatsfan.
>>I did find ClassicShell and it looks like this:
>>(Name) (Type) (Data)
>>ClassicShell REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1) Just above that line is:
>>(Name) (Type) (Data)
>>(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
>>
>>Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't even know how to
>>recognize a "value" to modify it. I'm thinking a value should
>>be in quotes like "---"
>>Please help if you will.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Dave
>>Nepatsfan wrote:
>>
>>>I've got to read these posts before I hit send. Forget about
>>>the NoDispBackgroundPage. Look for an entry in the right pane
>>>for ClassicShell. If it's there modify it's value to 0. If
>>>it's not then create a new DWord whose value is 0.
>>>
>>>Sorry for the confusion.
>>>
>>>Nepatsfan
>>>"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXVIII.com> wrote in message

Great! Thanks for the feedback.