Verizon Now Selling New Mobile Hotspot for $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

_kardon_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
With these small data limits and high prices Verizon might as well issue a public statement that they are against innovation.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Or, you can root your Android device and get free USB/Wi-Fi tethering and use the data you are already paying for ;) I still will never understand any carrier that charges you extra just to be able to use your phone as a hotspot. It's my data, I will use it as I please. Doesn't matter if it's being used by my phone or laptop, it's all the same data. Please understand this carriers. People like myself hotspot another phone or laptop once in a blue moon, and the less than a hundred megs being used is not hurting the network.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
$50 off upfront so you pay $1200 minimum over two years.

Sadly mostly people would actually see this as a great deal :/

You can tell their taking most of the people who buy this thing as fools when they're offering you something you already get for free.

"A visiting lecturer at a university who needs to have materials available to share with students"

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
...ok..am I missing something here..don't really see the consumer demand for this type of device anymore when we can simply tether with android on unlimited 4G data plans....

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I will jump ship from Verizon the MOMENT another company offers unlimited download for a resonable price. It should be illegal for companies to change for usage, this is total BS. This is for the good the country and innovation that the web is free and not restricting users based on how much data they use. Total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]john15v16[/nom]...ok..am I missing something here..don't really see the consumer demand for this type of device anymore when we can simply tether with android on unlimited 4G data plans....[/citation]

Um, unlimited data with who exactly?

G

It's a niche market. As the author states in the article,
"Hotspot devices are ideal when users don't have a smartphone with hotspot capabilities, or they have a hotspot-capable phone but is limited to the number of connected devices. They're also great if you want to leave your hotspot-capable smartphone open for sending and receiving calls."

So while most people will be happy with just a smart phone for tethering, there are some who may find this device useful. For example, if you want LTE speeds for your whole family but don't want to get them all LTE speed phones and you don't want to drain the battery on your phone. Or, if you want to take your phone with you but you want to leave the LTE internet network in your car for your wife/husband and/or kids to use.
This also makes a pretty good home router replacement. It's a bit pricey compared to a home router/cable internet, but it allows you to pick it up and take it with you if you want. For example, if you have an old iPhone that doesn't support 4g LTE, and can't or won't upgrade yet, but you still want internet in your home and stuff you may consider getting this device.

G

Unlimited data all day long with Sprint as long as you are in one of their 4G areas or mediocre 3G but hey at least it's unlimited..

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Um, unlimited data with who exactly?[/citation]
I'm still on unlimited but I got it just before they got rid of it. I am dreading the day I want to upgrade my phone :/

junger

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]Um, unlimited data with who exactly?[/citation]

I thought Sprint had unlimited, but not sure if it's unlimited or "unlimited."

Status
Not open for further replies.