ASUS A8V Deluxe upgrade/replacement??

steeeler58

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Greetings, I have an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard that has been giving me troubles. A few months ago, I tried to install additional USB ports and after putting the card in, the computer wouldn't boot. So I took them out. Nothing. Then took out the sound card and it started up. So I figured something was fried on teh motherboard btu the computer was working so I just used the onboard audio. Now, I added a 3rd HD and now the computer boots but not successfully everytime. Last time, I unplugged the new HD and it booted up. Re-added the HD and it's been fine. Also, I've been moving the computer around a bit and that also seems to effect the success of booting. So, I called Asus and can send the motherboard in to get repaired. I'm thinking of doing this but don't want to be without a comp for a few weeks. So my question is, does anyone know fo a motherboard that I can buy new to replace the existing Asus A8V Deluxe.

Here are the specs of my existing mobo:
Supported CPU: AMD Athlon64 and Athlon64 FX Series Processors
Chipset: VIA K8T800Pro + VT8237
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB
IDE: 3x ATA 133 up to 6 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,SPDIF Out,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),2xIEEE1394(Rear 1),Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC850 8-Channel Codec
Onboard LAN: Marvell 88E8001 GbE
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2xSATA by VT8237, RAID 0/1/JBOD; 2x SATA & 1x ATA 133 by Promise 20378, RAID 0/1/0+1/Multiple RAID
Onboard 1394: VIA VT6307

I really don't care for onboard audio and LAN. I appreciate your help with this!

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Its easy to replace a mobo if your hdds arent using raid. If they are then you would need the same NB chip mobo.
I would suggest a cheap gigabyte, albatron. These mobos can overclock really nice and are really cheap. Look for those that have nForce3 Chipset, those have AGP if you want ot ruse your agp card if not then go with an nforce4 mobo.

*edit

Didnt see you have 3 hdds if they are sata than look for at least 4 sata connectors. Some cheap mobos have only 2.

toosober

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Are you sure it's your motherboard that is the issue? Something sounds fishy when you state that moving around changes things. I would take a good hard look at your powersupply, and any possible grounds, screw floating on top or under the MB. I have a PC with the A8V Deluxe, and never have had a problem with any additional cards, hard disks ETC.

steeeler58

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
What specifically can I do to check out the power supply? I initially thought that was the problem but a techie friend of mine said it was the mobo.

Thanks

steeeler58

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Found out some more info tonight. I took the comp apart to clean it and take a look at the connections and all. After putting it back together it wouldn't start, like before. After turning it off and turning it back on a few times I got a error stating that the system couldn't start because of CPU overclocking or something along those lines. The mobo has voice enabled error codes so I heard it. I still couldn't boot it up so I took it apart again, moved the ram to different slots and then it started up and I got to the BIOS and was hoping to shut off OC all together but the only options were auto, manual and then 3%, 5%, and so on. I left it at auto and shut comp down with the power switch rather than letting it boot up. Not a good idea. It won't boot again. I'm done fighting with it tonight but does that make sense to you? Mobo? or just an OC issue? Thanks for your help with this.