Firewind

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
I am new at building computers. I recently built my own, but there are some problems with the memory which I do not like.

I bought myself some CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory and an Asus P5W DH Deluxe after reading the reviews on Newegg.

I fired up the computer, and it ran fine, quite well even. But after I checked out the settings, I found that the memory was running at DDR2 667 5-5-5-18. This wasn't what I paid for. So I attempted to fix the problem by manually setting the memory to DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-12 clock speed and the recommended 2.1v.

After I did this, the system grew quite unstable. It took me 30s-2 minutes to open some basic applications (like ATI Catalyst, CPU Z, Wordpad) and the system would sometimes crash as well. Since the only thing I altered was the memory, I deduced that it is probably the memory causing the issues. I did download the memory to DDR2 711 at 1.9v, but I do not feel comfortable doing this as a novice.

Do I have bad memory, or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Here are the rest of my specs

Core 2 Duo E6700
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails
ATI 1900 XTX Crossfire
ATI 1900 XTX
WD 250GB 7200 RPM HardDrive
Xi-Fi Fatal1ty sound card
Antec Superlanboy case

I am asking this for a couple of reasons. One, is that I ned to know whether to replace the ram, or alter a setting to correct the poor performance.

The second reason is that my father wants me to build him a computer. He specifically stated that he wants a high quality machine with NO overclocking. He wants 4 gigs of ram as well. I want to make sure to get him high quality ram that can be plugged in, and perform exactly as it's supposed to, without having to worry about adjusting the voltage and potentially making the system unstable. I could use recommendations for a MB/ram combo for this as well, since I didn't do so well with my last combo.

Thank you very much for your time,

Martin