what rubbing alcohol

woodchuk

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Please only use at least the 91 percent alcohol, I get it at Walmart for
two bucks. Other products have OIL and if you're using Arctic Silver
(like you should) you will get a substantially better bond IMHO.

Rovemelt

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I just use the isopropyl rubbing alcohol you can buy for a few dollars at the supermarket. It's cheap and works fine. Doesn't need to be ultrapure. Lots of other solvents will work (acetone, hexane, toluene), but they are not as readily available and are more dangerous to handle.

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The only thing I can get locally is ethanol alcohol at 96%. Seems to work fine for cleaning lcd monitors, etc. Damn expensive at US$7 for 100cc, though!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Always wondered what i needed to clean my lcd. Was told no windex and thats all i have so its been getting pretty dirty :-/

Also i probly have only used nail polish remover for removing the goop. But it sure smells nasty.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
ANY good non-oily solvent will be good. Some will be better that others. I'd recommend against nail polish remover, because of the aromatic oils included...

Acetone, isoproponal, ether, all would be good.

The difference between the various percentages of isopropanol is the included amounts of water... So the drying times vary. Not by much...

Ether, acetone, lacquer thinner and isoproponal are all very hygroscopic. (This means that they absorb water....) So as soon as you crack the seal on a very high percentage, it will start absorbing water.

I can remember a thread a while ago where someone used peanut butter as a HS compound, quite effecively.

On the other hand, Wusy will hand lap his hitsinks and the top of the CPU to a high polish prior to applying paste.

Whatever works, guys, for you. Just get it clean, preferably dry, prior to applying your compound. If you use something with oils, (I've heard of lighter fluid being used) then try to remove the oil first. Isopropanol, water, and a dot of detergent, followed by some drier isopropanol to clean up the mess...

On another note, isoproponal at 50% is recommended by most LCD manufatcurers for screen cleaning...

I use 70% isopropanol, and patiently wait for the 60 to 90 seconds to dry. Works for me.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Accourding to what i read around the web windex on a LCD is vary vary bad. something about it eating away at the screen and degrading its praformance.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
I used
stolichnaya_vodka.jpg

Works everytime 8)

Mondoman

Splendid
If you're really worried, just use one of the little spritzers sold for cleaning eyeglasses. Eyeglasses also have all sorts of fancy coatings these days, so it will be safe.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I'd be a bit worried about windex, whether on my glasses or on my lcd... Not sure what the current concentration of ammonia is, nor what concentration 's 'safe.'

Ammonia has a tendency over time to fog certain plastic films. I don't think that the film on my LCD is teflon...

cavornex

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Try to use ACETONE - the ones used to remove manicures from fingernails. It cleans more effectively and evaporates much faster. :idea: