Small Form Factor Gaming Computer-Advice plz.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Build:LianLi PC-V300B
Liteon dvd-rw
200GB Seagate sata 1.5gb/s
Kingwin awc-1 (liquid cooling)
Thermaltake TR2 500W
Core 2 Dou e6300
Asus P5B-VM Intel G965 Express Chipset
OCZ S.O.E 2x512mb DDR2 900 5-5-5-12
Asus 7600GS 512mb
Acer AL1916EAbd 19" DVI 5ms LCD monitor

This cost me 975$ without counting the HD and videocard cause i had them already. Just wondering if i made good choices. Also anyone know of video cards that will fit for sure?

Qeldroma

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Seems like a sweet build. That case is sexy. Have you put any of this together yet? Let me know how the install of the Watercooler goes. That looks like a great product.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I havent got the parts yet there coming 2morrow but im excited. Its my first SFF and liquid cooling computer and first intel ive ever built so alot of new stuffy's :)

I like the 'Redneck' RAM you selected. It should fit right in up there in Idaho. Too bad the case doesn't have a window :( so you can show it off. BTW, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm originally from Idaho and I really do think the RAM is cool.

Judging by the water system and RAM, you are obviously going to seriously overclock this system, how far are you planning to go?

Mondoman

Splendid
Just be careful about cooling the northbridge and PWM areas of the MB properly, since your water cooler won't be cooling those areas (as the default Intel-spec CPU heatsink/fan would). You might want to start with the stock Intel hsf, and only move to the water cooling once you're sure everything is hunky-dory.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I like the 'Redneck' RAM you selected. It should fit right in up there in Idaho. Too bad the case doesn't have a window :( so you can show it off. BTW, I'm not being sarcastic, I'm originally from Idaho and I really do think the RAM is cool.

Judging by the water system and RAM, you are obviously going to seriously overclock this system, how far are you planning to go?

Yeah i love OCZ memory their memory has tight timings and it can take alot of voltage. Yeah it is kinda "red neck" memory. I didnt buy it cause of the paint though i just got it cause i know its some of the best stuff around for the money plus its ddr2 900.

Um im not sure what e6300 can do but im hoping for 3.2ghz-3.6ghz with the liquid cooling.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Just be careful about cooling the northbridge and PWM areas of the MB properly, since your water cooler won't be cooling those areas (as the default Intel-spec CPU heatsink/fan would). You might want to start with the stock Intel hsf, and only move to the water cooling once you're sure everything is hunky-dory.

Yeah good point thanks for reminding me ill keep my eye on the northbridge temp sensor when oc'in the system but i think the lianli has enough fans to keep stuff smooth but we will see ill post my results when im done. Im putting it togeather tonight.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well im warning u guys if you wana build sff, cause this motherboard will only do 1.95v on vdimm. And the liquid cooling set needs a 775 bracket (which is my fault for not seeing on neweggs website)

Well im not sure how far ill beable to go because the 1.95v isnt nearly enough volts for memory this stuff likes 2.1-2.2v so i might not be able to take it up to ddr900 sadly but we will see i guess. As long is i can run ddr533 and then up the fsb its all good. I now think ill be able to hit maybe 2.6ish cause of the motherboard.

Try it out and see. I've run my RAM up to 840 on stock voltage of 1.8V (well, 1.8V is stock and I just leave the voltage set to 'auto' in the BIOS, I don't know if 'auto' bumps up the voltage automatically). I guess it all depends on the RAM and how picky it is. You might be surprised.