Sign in with
Your question

So is the chipset REALLY that big of a deal?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Chipsets
  • Nvidia
Last response: in Motherboards
November 6, 2006 6:54:35 PM

I've heard before and read a couple of places that nVidia cards seem to run/perform better on a board with the nVidia chipset. Can the same be said for ATI cards with the 965 or 975 chipset? Does it really make a big difference?

I guess what I'm really digging for here is, if I go with an ATI card, like the X1950Pro, should I get a certain chipset to go with it? And I may still go with the 7950GT depending where prices are in a couple of months. I'll probably never use SLI or Crossfire, but it seems there's not a huge price difference between the single and dual gpu boards.

I know I'm not building for the next 2-3 months, but that means 2-3 months worth of research. :p  In other words, it won't be my last question! But hey, I do respect the opinions and the knowledge I've found on these boards!

More about : chipset big deal

November 6, 2006 10:26:35 PM

I prefer Salt and Vinegar Chipsets personally.
November 6, 2006 10:57:44 PM

Single card solutions - no problem. If you think you might go to crossfire or sli - big issue. Otherwise chipsets are critical components for overclocking in terms of abilities and limitations. Sounds like you are looking at decent out of the box stock settings, in which case you can choose any reliable mid-level board with features that you want. Intel, MSI, DFI, ABIT are all decent. Asus is a little more adventurous because they give you so many things to tweak (or screw up) on your own. Good luck
Related resources
November 6, 2006 11:52:59 PM

Quote:
I prefer Salt and Vinegar Chipsets personally.

lol, QFT!
November 7, 2006 9:36:55 PM

Yes like he said if your gonna to run one card and only one card it doesnt matter what board you buy. However you sometime down the road wanna run Crossfire or SLI then you need the spefic Crossfire Rdy mobo or SLI certified mobo.

I got the 975XBX for this reason Crossfire rdy with 3 PCI-E slots although im gonna use only one card i do plan on using ATI GPU pyshics which require another card. So it all depends what your going to do in the future.
!