need help choosing a good router!!!

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i have two computers, ones on comcast and ones on dial up ,,,, i need to know what is a good router that is within 60-150 price range and the best performer,,,, also i would rather stick with non wireless just because i want the best connection...

any suggestions would be fine!!! thank u

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Just got a ZYXEL 550 with MIMO from newegg for sonething like $50 after a rebate and it has worked flaslessly. Had to replace a Netgear wireless that kept dropping the internet connection.

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I would highly recommend Linksys or D-Link. I have had so so many horrible experiences with Netgear. There products seem to have no options or features on them. They are all designed for people who don't know what they are doing and just want to plug it up and bam have internet. I am all for a router with an easy setup but it just seems like netgear doesn't allow for too much with there routers. I have owned linksys all my life with NOT one going bad on me as with all my friends but recently we decided to change a little bit and try out D-Link's new gaming router and it is truly wonderful.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158

The router works wonderfully with lots of features to change, customize to how you want it to work and pretty decent wireless on it. Built in Gigabit switch, Wireless G, Gamefuel, and a nice look to it. Take a look and find some reviews if you are looking to spend $100 i would get this thing while it is on sale at Newegg. And you can't go wrong with Newegg.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Can you more exactly tell us what you want to achieve?

If you have one PC with a cable connection, and one PC with a dial-up connection, you have no need of a router....

If you just want to drop the dial-up connection, you just need to do some re-configuring on your nics, and a switch...

So why do you need a router?

nastastic

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Take a look at Zyxel's Zywall 2 Plus ... great router, firewall, and security applicance for basic home. I have it setup with the web page content filtering to help control what my kids can get access to over the net. The subscription to the content filtering is another $60 per year, but working very, very well. You won't find features like that in the Netgear, DLink or Linksys for similar price point.

Great place to by:
www.nowthor.com about $160.

I've been a Netgear user for about 4 years. Recently tried out routers againf from Netgear and DLink. Each demonstrated problems or lack of capabilities I was looking for. In terms of bang for the buck, I have finally settled on the Zywall 2 Plus.

Maybe a little more than some folks want, but it gives me plenty of security and networking options that I was looking for at a yet still very reasonable price.

Good luck in your search.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Take a look at Zyxel's Zywall 2 Plus ... great router, firewall, and security applicance for basic home. I have it setup with the web page content filtering to help control what my kids can get access to over the net. The subscription to the content filtering is another $60 per year, but working very, very well. You won't find features like that in the Netgear, DLink or Linksys for similar price point.

The D-Link DGL series routers (among others possibly -- the same underlying hardware gets around) have a subscription-based parental control options in addition to the built-in stuff.

nastastic

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
The D-Link DGL series routers (among others possibly -- the same underlying hardware gets around) have a subscription-based parental control options in addition to the built-in stuff.

To the best of my understanding, the DLink DGL series have what they call parental controls, but not a true content filtering engine that fiters web sites based upon their content and category rating. I didn't test the DGL series, that was because based upon reading the manual and running the online emulator, I could not find any detail about a subscription based web filtering engine. Again, to the best of my understanding, to get into subscription based services with DLink products, you need to begin looking at their NETDEFEND series of products.

nastastic

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Madwand,
Thanks for the clarification. I had spent quite a bit of time studying the DGL series, but like I said, they don't have any information about web content filtering in the product web pages, datasheet, downloadable manual, or the online emulator ... I had even read many of the help pages in the emulator. Now that you have pointed it out, I can find it in the emulator ... you have to go through a few pages to get to it.

And, in the firmware listing, when they listed 'Added Advanced Parental Control' I didn't interpret that to mean realtime web content filtering ... so many manufacturers use the term Parent Control to describe very limited controls.

So, despite my efforts to review their product, I never came to see this feature they added. If I had seen it, i probably would have considered it further. In that regard, I think DLink is really doing themselves in dis-service in not highlighting ALL the features of this product on its web page.

However, I am actually very happy with the Zywall 2 Plus. I'd still recommend it. It has several features I'm coming to appreciate that are not in some routers.

TRENDING THREADS