I just upgraded to an Intel Core Duo 2.13 ghz. I have Kingston 512x2 DDR2 ram, 1 SATA 120GB hd and another 320 SATA2 hd. Also have a Geforce 7900 GT. Whenever I use my DVDROMS my computer lags to hell. I usually only burn my DVDs at 4x, but it won't go over 1.1x with this new computer. I never had this problem with my older computer. Installing programs/games takes around 10-15min.
My CPU usage hits up to around 50% automatically. Looking in my task manager shows that one "cpu" is full out and the other isn't doing anything. Any suggestions on a resolution to this? I don't seem to have problems with this lag with anything else other then just CD/DVDs.
Are you using the appropriate chipset drivers? Oftentimes w/o the drivers windows may fail to "see" the dvd roms correctly, You might also see if there is an intel update driver for your processor, I know amd has one to optimize the dual cores
I'm guessing your DVD drive is operating in PIO mode instead of DMA mode. To check:
1. Right click the MY COMPUTER icon and click properties
2. Click the Hardware tab, then click the Device Manager button.
3. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers group.
4. Right click the Secondary IDE Channel and select Properties; I assume that's where you connected the DVD drive.
5. Change the transfer mode to "DMA if available"
If that doesn't work, or you cannot select "DMA" then you'll need to load the drivers for the IDE controller from that CD that came with your motherboard. For example, if the secondary IDE cannel is controlled by the JMicron chipset, then you need to install the drivers.