Your question

G80 has perfect AF

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 6, 2006 10:55:04 PM

For your enjoyment.
Link

More about : g80 perfect

November 6, 2006 11:50:50 PM

I wouldn't call that perfect... however in a game.. i doubt I could say such a thing.

:) 

good find
November 7, 2006 12:32:48 AM

Nothing's perfect, but that's damn good. I just wonder what kind of performance hit that entails.
Related resources
November 7, 2006 1:24:08 AM

Nice find.
November 7, 2006 1:36:03 AM

Quote:
Nothing's perfect, but that's damn good. I just wonder what kind of performance hit that entails.

Word on the street claims 20%
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 1:45:09 AM

Looking forward to tomorrows reviews. Order yours yet?
November 7, 2006 2:11:06 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to tomorrows reviews. Order yours yet?

Hey Paul

I havent been able to locate a BFG 8800GTX yet. Hope to catch one for $650

I saw the MSI for sale but I want the lifetime warranty and service that bfg and evga offer. I'd pay $700 to get the BFG over a competing brand.

I buy BFG over Evga because BFG is a local midwest company and offers equal service in my experience. The stepup wont be to useful at this time, even though I have used it in the past. Also, the recall on (mainly) evgas kinda puts the nail in the coffin for me.. I'll take a BFG if you see one pop up!

Ordering some new ram, 2GB of Patriot and this 8800GTX. Patriot memory is engineered and manufactured wholly in the USA. The module is American and the ram is from Micron (American). Micron is a US company and has foundrys in the USA and Taiwan.

I have my 3ghz settings set to hotkey 2 on boot.. I think I can stretch out this rig with 2gb of ram + the 8800gtx + 3ghz FX till K8L (and whatever core2 models are available then as well). Should be a good enough machine for Vista as well with the extra memory.

So I have 2x512MB of DDR500 Geil for sale and a A64 3200+ if u know any interested parties. Ram goes for $70 shipped and the CPU can go for $30 shipped (cpu runs 2.5ghz rock-solid and 3D stable on a DFI).
Continental US of course. /end plug :wink:
Going up on ebay soon, just thought I'd mention these!!
November 7, 2006 2:30:30 AM

besides making the game look better, what specifically does AF do?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 4:41:03 PM

sharpens texture would be my best description
November 7, 2006 4:46:36 PM

So AA sharpens jagged edges and AF sharpens "textures". what exactly do you mean by textures? examples...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 4:56:51 PM

Image quality

especially this one:

Someone may have a better comparison, Note this is GeForce vs Ati but look at the texture on the tiles, you see squares...
November 7, 2006 5:50:37 PM

That review is way outdated, and inaccurate. The squares on the tiles aren't from low quality anisotropic filtering, but compatibility issues.
November 7, 2006 6:02:41 PM

thanks. i get it now. so will we see AF of over 16 with this coming generation?
November 7, 2006 6:45:46 PM

Quote:
im sure he gets the picture although that is flawed as the ATI has twice as much AF.

ditto
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 7:07:41 PM

Oh, didn't really read the review, apologize... Still it gave him a general idea, note that you'll get squares but that the textures will be sharper...

Anyone got proper screenies? on the other hand there should be plenty of them tomorrow in the review.
November 7, 2006 7:16:29 PM

sorry to be the one that asks the stuped question but,

even if the 8800 cards come out doesnt that mean that we still have to wait for games to come out that support 16x af? or can current games be patched?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 7:31:31 PM

Yup AA and AF can be forced directly thru the driver. Still I know some games that offer it in the menu and recommand not forcing it thru the driver.

@themelonator, no problem theres no stupid question only stupid answer or semi uneducated/too fast one in my case =)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 7:40:12 PM

Lol.

Quote:
spoken like a true crack rock kitty

Spoken like a true:...you know what I thought your avatar was :oops:  wont say it though
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 7:46:23 PM

lol, me too, tell your dog I apologize!
:D 
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 8:01:23 PM

Quote:

Anyone got proper screenies? on the other hand there should be plenty of them tomorrow in the review.

What... like theses? 8)

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/quality_setti...

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/r520-part4-a....

Look at the second one to see the AF mipmap diagrams to compare. The new nV has better uniformity of the transitions. It'll be interesting to see a head to head comparison, like you say in Oblivion with HQAF vs the new nVAF. I currently use 2-4X HQAF, because it does make a significant difference.

Remember that the old Fx's had similar non-angular dependant AF when ATi had the angular dependant version, however there weren't as many differences in quality at the time and the performance hit was large (as a result we had the brilinear issue). Even for ATi HQ is a taxing AF mode, so it'll be interesting to see the performance hit of the new nV method, and as for the 20% is that 20% versus no AF, or 20% in addition to the angle dependant performance?
November 7, 2006 8:10:41 PM

This card would be perfect for the upcoming game Crysis.
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 8:15:29 PM

Well, it is what they ran the demos on, so looks like Crytek agrees.

What's the best when it finally ships is another story though.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2006 8:26:20 PM

Thanks TGGA!, but what I was trying to find is acutally screen shot from game that shows sharper/smoother looking texture with different AF mode. The one I link was quite visual but I didn't bother reading hehe to find out it was glitchier then anything! The performance vs quality mode does send the right message though.

Anyway it was more out of curiosity as I understand the actual difference.
Thanks for linking me Digit life, forgot about this web site, HQ stuff over there!
November 7, 2006 8:43:42 PM

Quote:
Well, it is what they ran the demos on, so looks like Crytek agrees.

What's the best when it finally ships is another story though.

Yeah you are right. G81 will prob be the top dog then. 8)
Sup Ape? I have cash in hand ready for my 8800GTX.

I'm more excited about this launch than I was for the GF7, or even the GF6.
I must say, that NV taking the undisputable lead in IQ + performance is exciting to me. IMO, and I think the general consensus is that overall NV and ATI had near equal IQ before.. and ATI ended up with a touch of a lead as far as minimum frames is concerned.. with NV holding gold standard drivers.
Now it appears we've finally taken everything, and with a 3-6 month lead time on the competing part.

I feel this is the first $500+ video card that is actually worth it. The most I've spent previously is $400 on my Voodoo1, and $400 on my 7900GTX. This purchase ($650) I'm even more confident about due to the massive IQ/feature/performance enhancements.
IMO, all things being fairly assessed, this is biggest and best release since the Voodoo1. That -might- be pushing it.. but why not go out on a limb.

Of course I'm interested in official reviews, but I believe alot of this late-arriving info, at this point.

And I actually have games that I cant wait to play: Medieval 2 Total War, Dark Messiah and HOMM5 (longtime favorite series). Of course I played HOMM on the 7900s.. but will be nice to see it on the GF8. :wink:
And my usual CounterStrike Source, which is par for the course as you know (for me).

BTW, the RAM has sold. Still have a A64 3200+ that hits 2.5ghz stable for $35 shipped (or whatever price I said earlier in the thread).

I'm going to sit with the FX55@3ghz, 2GB, 8800GTX rig till K8L. See what Quad Cores are out from Intel and AMD at that time and upgrade again!

Happy man right here! :D 
November 7, 2006 8:58:06 PM

i believe the demo was on a crossfire x1900xtx and not a 8800gtx tho i could be wrong but i doubt it
November 7, 2006 9:30:53 PM

Overt fanboy? What was so overtly fanboy? I know Ape. I dont know you, dumbass.

I know my rig will blow your POS rig away, want to bench your slow ATI card with horrid IQ versus my AF-crown holding G80 tomorrow?
Your "insult" to Nvidia might come back to bite you in the ass.. for one there was no clear "superior" card last gen.. maybe in your mind.. and secondly f@ggot- this isnt a solo competition.. there IS competing product out and its getting slaughtered.. there is no "fair game" here besides who has the fastest and best chips out. Not to mention, its going to be hard for R600 to beat the G80 that comes out tomorrow, let alone the 512MC+ GDDR4 respin they are ready to produce on R600s launch.. and G81 in June.

You think because ATI could possibly release a response chip in volume 6 months to a year later thats equal or slightly better than NV's offering that somehow they are better?

Lets see what ATI can release TODAY to match the GF8?
Oh wait, they dont have anything. That sucks. They do have chips out there, even recently released models.. they get raped.

I'm sure if Matrox had 20 years later to beat G80, they could as well. But its pointless to even say such things.
Unless you're an overt ATI fanboy.

Dark days to be one of those, you little bitch. :twisted:
November 7, 2006 11:15:49 PM

Oooooo! So this is how geeks fight. :roll:
November 7, 2006 11:56:48 PM

Quote:
Overt fanboy? What was so overtly fanboy? I know Ape. I dont know you, dumbass.

I know my rig will blow your POS rig away, want to bench your slow ATI card with horrid IQ versus my AF-crown holding G80 tomorrow?
Your "insult" to Nvidia might come back to bite you in the ass.. for one there was no clear "superior" card last gen.. maybe in your mind.. and secondly f@ggot- this isnt a solo competition.. there IS competing product out and its getting slaughtered.. there is no "fair game" here besides who has the fastest and best chips out. Not to mention, its going to be hard for R600 to beat the G80 that comes out tomorrow, let alone the 512MC+ GDDR4 respin they are ready to produce on R600s launch.. and G81 in June.

You think because ATI could possibly release a response chip in volume 6 months to a year later thats equal or slightly better than NV's offering that somehow they are better?

Lets see what ATI can release TODAY to match the GF8?
Oh wait, they dont have anything. That sucks. They do have chips out there, even recently released models.. they get raped.

I'm sure if Matrox had 20 years later to beat G80, they could as well. But its pointless to even say such things.
Unless you're an overt ATI fanboy.

Dark days to be one of those, you little bitch. :twisted:

Don't feed the troll.. he's just one of the many AMD/ATI fanboi's who can't get their heads around the fact that their little world has been blown away by Intel and nVidia, and ATI as a company doesn't even exist any more.
November 8, 2006 12:02:23 AM

No it really doesnt.. thats what you dont get.
Sure there are prob a lot of unnecessary cuts towards you mixed in, because you are obviously asking for it..

but the fact is that if you want to say such ridiculous things.. then if R600 is faster than G80, its not "fair" because they're dominating without a response from Nvidia.

Besides, you are pretending that ATI owned the last few gens. They havent been on top of anything since the 9700/9800 days.

I write a note to a friend in the thread and you attempt to change the topic.. this thread is about G80 AF, or at least the G80 in case you didnt notice.
November 8, 2006 12:04:41 AM

Um.. yeah.. you are a troll, you dumbass.

Your "contribution" to the thread-

Quote:
hmm, how anyone can listen to such an overt fanboy i don't know. here's a comeback though. how does it feel knowing that the only time you can be leaders is when the competition don't have a equal gen card out. must hurt to know you only reign supreme in a solo competition.

What a whining spoiled bitch. :roll:
November 8, 2006 12:05:03 AM

LOL. It'd come to slapping if he were in person.
November 8, 2006 12:07:07 AM

Rampage, you're comparing a DX10 card to a DX9 card. Yes, DX9 cards are the best that AMD/ATI has out currently-and as such, Nvidia will hold the crown for a while...and when AMD/ATI comes out with their DX10 card, it'll be close again. I won't say who will win that.

But in all honesty, you may as well be comparing a 7900GTX (or similar) to an X800...any model. It's no contest, and it's not supposed to be.

I'm done.
November 8, 2006 12:13:25 AM

Quote:
Rampage, you're comparing a DX10 card to a DX9 card. Yes, DX9 cards are the best that AMD/ATI has out currently-and as such, Nvidia will hold the crown for a while...and when AMD/ATI comes out with their DX10 card, it'll be close again. I won't say who will win that.

But in all honesty, you may as well be comparing a 7900GTX (or similar) to an X800...any model. It's no contest, and it's not supposed to be.

I'm done.

I agree.

My point to his retarded "point" is that R600 is 3-6 months off, no one really knows.. and I'd wager given enough time.. anyone could top G80.
Good job, I guess.

Either way, G80 is what people want today.. and when R600 is out word on the street is that NV is preparing for a 512MC respin + GDDR4 on R600s launch, just to take the wind out of their sails if need be.

Comparing a card that is as powerful, with the IQ that the G80 has to a card that will probably be up to 6 months out is so dumb.

By that time G81 will be near, so it comes down to the fact that he wants a fast ATI card and is licking his moms butthole to get it.
While I just want a fast card and will pay anything to get it.. so the G80 is here.. ATI has nothing to offer.

His "facts" are just his imaginary dream world that doenst exist, just like R600 vaporware. I suppose the ATI fanboys can keep dreaming...

since its alot better in dream world rather than reality right now for them. :lol: 
November 8, 2006 12:20:16 AM

You need to get a freaking life Kinney....this all means so much to you.

It's really a pathetic thing to get worked up about :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 12:46:42 AM

Quote:
I must say, that NV taking the undisputable lead in IQ + performance is exciting to me. IMO, and I think the general consensus is that overall NV and ATI had near equal IQ before.

Quote:
Besides, you are pretending that ATI owned the last few gens. They havent been on top of anything since the 9700/9800 days.

I don't really agree with these two comments. If you read enough review sites, ATI has been ahead in IQ for a while. Not in every aspect or every game, but still ahead none the less. And especially with NV's default optimizations turned on. I'll give ya a dozen links if you need them, but I doubt it's anything you have not seen. And I can't see how you are declaring an IQ winner already without any reviews, but from what little we have seen G80 is looking very good. I do expect G80 to offer the best performance and IQ do to best playable settings anyway. I hope they haven't once again tried for a few more fps with their default driver settings(optimizations) at the expense of texture shimmering. That gets annoying for review/testing purposes, but reguardless I am expecting G80 owners to have the power to crank IQ beyond what we have seen.

I imagine no question about it, high end gaming card = G80 for quite a while and ATI/AMD will have to compete in the sub $350 range and hope they can keep a few of their enthusiast followers happy with reasonable priced crossfire. I myself am too cheap to spend more than $350-400 on a card, and prefer sub $250. But if the GTS spanks the X1950XTX in performance without any negaitives appearing to scare me off, and I can find a good price on one like back with my 6800U, I'll buy one. Just unlike you I wont spend $650 for a GTX, and I will want to see it's performance/IQ/reliability, etc. all dug into before I buy. My plan is to wait until next year when Crysis/Vista are out and buy what is best for my budget then. But I can't turn down a great deal if one comes up before that especially once I see what a 8800GTS will do to my X1800XT. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 12:55:05 AM

With NV most likely having a huge high end lead starting tomorrow, it's the perfect atmosphere for Kinney to appear. He will be grinning ear to ear for quite some time. If R600 desptroys G80, or G80 flops in DX10, he will go away or at least be silent. If R600 can't clearly beat G80, he will be here back laughing at AMD/ATI for not being able to leapfrog G80 given all the time they had. Honestly, if he had not shown up I would have wondered what happened to him.
November 8, 2006 12:59:40 AM

You're card isnt any less superior just because it hasnt competed against the R600 yet. So you have no reason to take it personally what he said. In both cases you are both being biased towards a brand. Just remember that for the time being it is the best, but it is fair to say it is competing against a 386 and you just got a core 2 duo.
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 1:37:10 AM

BTW, congrats on finding a BFG. I have been looking but didn't see one yet. How much and where did you find it?
November 8, 2006 3:20:46 AM

Quote:
You need to get a freaking life Kinney....this all means so much to you.

It's really a pathetic thing to get worked up about :lol: 

Aye.. I'd downplay this glorious overthrow if I was Red to ;) 
November 8, 2006 3:26:37 AM

Quote:
BTW, congrats on finding a BFG. I have been looking but didn't see one yet. How much and where did you find it?

I havent found a BFG card yet online. But theres a local shop in town that has them in stock tomorrow for me to pickup.

Oh you know I'm grinning ear to ear. This is a great time to be a PC gamer and a great time to be into 3D hardware. :D 

Its time everyone thank Nvidia for bringing industry leading image quality, and bringing 90% faster performance than the X1950XTX (according to dailytech) is simply amazing.

I'm glad for Nvidia. The innovation, and actual -product release- is refreshing.

Looking forward to continued R600 delays.
Doestn matter to me though, I'll be happily gaming on the worlds fastest GPU.. while team red kicks the dirt using an obsolete and slow X1900 card.
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 5:54:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks TGGA!, but what I was trying to find is acutally screen shot from game that shows sharper/smoother looking texture with different AF mode. The one I link was quite visual but I didn't bother reading hehe to find out it was glitchier then anything! The performance vs quality mode does send the right message though.

[H]ard|OCP has a few examples in their latest reviews, the thing to do is to find relatively equal setups where the difference they show is HQAF versus nV QualityAF, they also have examples of 0X and 4X which shows the effect very well.
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 6:19:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah you are right. G81 will prob be the top dog then. 8)

Could be, the GF8800 is a solid card, be we have no idea what will be top when the game arrives and Crysis got pushed back far enough to have both cards on the table.

Quote:
Sup Ape? I have cash in hand ready for my 8800GTX.

I'm not surprised, but I think if you can part with the money, then you'll likely be happy with what you get, as long as you don't get a bum card (which should be easily replaceable based on what's been said).

Quote:
I'm more excited about this launch than I was for the GF7, or even the GF6.

Well, I don't thnk it's as important as the GF6 launch which did many things for nV and was a significant card. But of course until we know everything about the G80 it's hard to tell one way or the other. I'm interested in seeing the card, and I'd prefer more DX10 demos to truely expose the capabilities, but IMO it's not as revolutionary for nV as the GF6 series was.

Quote:
I must say, that NV taking the undisputable lead in IQ + performance is exciting to me. IMO, and I think the general consensus is that overall NV and ATI had near equal IQ before.

No, it's pretty well known that ATI had the IQ lead, but as we've mentioned before, it really just depends on the situation as to whether it's noticeable or not. Main thing was the texture shimmering issue for the GF7s. But it's really a quesiton of how it's implemented too. The FX had better potential AF, but far to often used brilinear floptimizations. ATi has better HQAF now, but their 'performance' setting was too agressive and giving worse IQ than nV at about the same performance that both had at default, so never worth enabling. The question is whether or not the apparently better AF does indeed make the image noticeably better. I am very interested in the affect on Oblivion which benifits alot from AF. That will be a good litmus test.

Quote:
and ATI ended up with a touch of a lead as far as minimum frames is concerned.. with NV holding gold standard drivers.

I think you got that backwards. nV held the min FPS lead with the GX2, and the ATi drivers maintained stability, while nV's shift to the 9x.xx series, and their new control panel, and their move to both vista and .net has not gone smoothly (ATi already went through and soved manyof these transition pains). nV will undoubtably get better and back to equal again, but I wouldn't say they currently are the gold standard for anything other than maybe Linux.

Quote:
Now it appears we've finally taken everything, and with a 3-6 month lead time on the competing part.

Doubtful it's 6 months. 3 Months seems most likely.

Quote:
I feel this is the first $500+ video card that is actually worth it.

Well everyone feels that at some point with this stuff, I feel my laptop was worth more than I paid for it, HDTVs are finally 'worth the $2K' , etc.
I'd still be more of a GTS person, or even GF86xx level looker, but if you want to spend the money it's likely worth it more than some options.

Quote:
The most I've spent previously is $400 on my Voodoo1, and $400 on my 7900GTX. This purchase ($650) I'm even more confident about due to the massive IQ/feature/performance enhancements.

Well it should last a while, unfortunately we won't know it's full potential until the software support and games come to us. The hope is that the performance is solid and better than expected from the start (say 70% improvement over last generation) and then we get a nice bonus from Vista/DX10 (like 30% more).

Quote:
And I actually have games that I cant wait to play: Medieval 2 Total War, Dark Messiah and HOMM5 (longtime favorite series). Of course I played HOMM on the 7900s.. but will be nice to see it on the GF8. :wink:
And my usual CounterStrike Source, which is par for the course as you know (for me).

Yeah it's be interesting to see what the G80 offers older games (not that CSS is that old, not like CS) and whether new implementations of AA and AF are more impressive than just 200fps.

Quote:
I'm going to sit with the FX55@3ghz, 2GB, 8800GTX rig till K8L. See what Quad Cores are out from Intel and AMD at that time and upgrade again!

Happy man right here! :D 

Yeah I'm sure of that. Quad core will be nice future consideration too, I do't think it'll be practical on Laptops before 2008+ in anything other than a behemoth like the Acer and Dell 20inch models. But hopefully the benifits will push more programmers/developers to optimize for multi-core.

Well enjoy the card, should be an interesting time playing with new settings and features.
November 8, 2006 6:41:40 AM

yea i was

im gonna take a look =D thought i seen em all, guess not
November 8, 2006 6:43:05 AM

video has been removed :(  WTF! darn it
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 8:31:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not surprised, but I think if you can part with the money, then you'll likely be happy with what you get, as long as you don't get a bum card (which should be easily replaceable based on what's been said).

I'm sure he'll get lucky and his will be a fixed REFURB. :p 
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2006 2:13:46 PM

LOL!

I don't know if he could get a refurb yet, do you think they even have a volume of thechnically 'refurb' products, since they'd have to see a store shelf and then being returned to the mfr in order to be refurb'ed.

And hey if you buy from a big outfit, usually you can just straight-up return it, but tha might not do much if all they have is old stock.
!