Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Opinions of Ram trouble?

Last response: in Memory
November 6, 2006 11:24:20 PM

Hi there.............

I have an issue from time to time that I think may be ram related. Have tried everything else I can think of including a new video card and new hard drives.
I have run memtest but everything seems OK ??????

I am looking for the best "stable" 2gb of ram you all know of. I already have for all purposes more than a fast enough system so I would be willing to settle for some basic ram that does not need to be leading edge in performance.....................would rather settle for a VERY stable system. Opinions please :) 

My troubles...........

Every once in awhile, for no apparent reason, reading emails, surfing the net, gaming, my system hangs and then does what the blue screen calls a "memory dump". I restart the system afterwards and most things seem OK but the system takes forever to boot and some settings change in XP.................different everytime??????????????

A fresh install of XP and the booting and shutdown of the system is back to speed. I have run 3Dmark 06 and consistently get high marks.................before and after the system shutdowns........have used both a 7900GT card and now a X1900XT card..............

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated...............thanks :) 

Lenny

More about : opinions ram trouble

November 7, 2006 12:37:36 AM

Quote:
Hi there.............

I have an issue from time to time that I think may be ram related. Have tried everything else I can think of including a new video card and new hard drives.
I have run memtest but everything seems OK ??????

I am looking for the best "stable" 2gb of ram you all know of. I already have for all purposes more than a fast enough system so I would be willing to settle for some basic ram that does not need to be leading edge in performance.....................would rather settle for a VERY stable system. Opinions please :) 

My troubles...........

Every once in awhile, for no apparent reason, reading emails, surfing the net, gaming, my system hangs and then does what the blue screen calls a "memory dump". I restart the system afterwards and most things seem OK but the system takes forever to boot and some settings change in XP.................different everytime??????????????

A fresh install of XP and the booting and shutdown of the system is back to speed. I have run 3Dmark 06 and consistently get high marks.................before and after the system shutdowns........have used both a 7900GT card and now a X1900XT card..............

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated...............thanks :) 

Lenny

I am not as experienced or knowledgeable as some who visit this board but I will give you what I know.

I have had memory problems with my computer. I do not tolerate unstability. I worked on it for about 3 weeks, trying different things and learned that it was my memory. I was running Crucial Ballistix 2-2-2-6 on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe. What I did was to put in my older Crucial cl 2 DDR 333 module and from that point on I had no errors whatsoever.

My point is, you might try replacing your ram, I know that you don't want to do this, but replace it with a STANDARD memory module, I don't know enough to tell you exactly what that is but I am assuming you do or can figure it out.

Now, this may not make a difference in your system, I don't know, but it turned my 3 year old motherboard from junk back to a perfectly operational motherboard. I think there is more to how memory works than just it's advertised spec.

Best of luck to you.
November 7, 2006 1:03:16 AM

Assuming you have one of Corsair's main lines, that's top quality RAM and shouldn't be your problem (unless perhaps you've manually mis-set the memory timing). If you have Corsair's ValueSelect, it's a piece of junk -- sell it on eBay and get some real Corsair RAM.

How long did you run memtest86+? Let it run at least O/N or 24 hours.

Sometimes the problem is a driver, especially a video driver. Update your video driver to the latest available if you haven't already.
Related resources
November 7, 2006 1:03:16 AM

Have you upgraded to the newest bios?

I am running e6600 with P5B Deluxe wifi, and 2 gig of Corsair, had similar problems with hang and not recognizing HD after restart. Saw 2nd drive, but not first. used x1900xtx, now 7900 GTO, same problem.

Updated to newest bios, no problems.

Very finicky with original bios, especially when OC'd.
November 7, 2006 1:31:28 AM

Quote:
Assuming you have one of Corsair's main lines, that's top quality RAM and shouldn't be your problem (unless perhaps you've manually mis-set the memory timing). If you have Corsair's ValueSelect, it's a piece of junk -- sell it on eBay and get some real Corsair RAM.

How long did you run memtest86+? Let it run at least O/N or 24 hours.

Sometimes the problem is a driver, especially a video driver. Update your video driver to the latest available if you haven't already.

I am running Corsair Select ram........................hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................that bad huh?

Maybe I should ditch it then?

I am running the latest bios on the MB.................thanks :) 
!