Nikon coolscan 3 - how to install on Windows XP?

The Nikon coolscan 3 I'm trying to install has a scsi to parallel port
cable. I'm running Windows XP Pro can't find the right driver to set this
up. Any help will be appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about nikon coolscan install windows

    In article <phk_d.10894$DW.10825@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, wingman
    <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >The Nikon coolscan 3 I'm trying to install has a scsi to parallel port
    >cable.

    Are you sure about that? What SCSI to parallel port adapter is this?
    --
    Kennedy

    "Kennedy McEwen" <rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In article <phk_d.10894$DW.10825@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, wingman
    > <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >>The Nikon coolscan 3 I'm trying to install has a scsi to parallel port
    >>cable.
    >
    > Are you sure about that? What SCSI to parallel port adapter is this?
    > --

    I don't know if it's an OEM part, but the owner says the setup worked on an
    older system (probably Win98) with the scanner connected to the parallel
    pass-through port of a zip drive. Anyway, my plan is to install an adaptec
    2940 pci card and connect the scanner with a scsi to scsi cable. Will XP
    detect and provide a driver for the Adaptec card, or do I need to download a
    driver in advance? Assuming the scsi interface installs properly what
    version of the Nikon Scan software should I use with the scanner? I
    currently have 3.x. Thanks!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <uzn_d.6612$ZB6.4841@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, wingman
    <sbt@silcom.com> writes

    >"Kennedy McEwen" <rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> In article <phk_d.10894$DW.10825@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, wingman
    >> <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >>>The Nikon coolscan 3 I'm trying to install has a scsi to parallel port
    >>>cable.
    >>
    >> Are you sure about that? What SCSI to parallel port adapter is this?
    >> --
    >
    >I don't know if it's an OEM part, but the owner says the setup worked on an
    >older system (probably Win98) with the scanner connected to the parallel
    >pass-through port of a zip drive.

    I am fairly certain that he is telling you pork pies. SCSI and parallel
    ports are completely different structures and, while there may be a
    convertor card to interface the two, they can't just be connected by an
    interface cable..

    >Anyway, my plan is to install an adaptec
    >2940 pci card and connect the scanner with a scsi to scsi cable. Will XP
    >detect and provide a driver for the Adaptec card, or do I need to download a
    >driver in advance? Assuming the scsi interface installs properly what
    >version of the Nikon Scan software should I use with the scanner? I
    >currently have 3.x. Thanks!

    XP does not have the drivers to operate the SCSI card directly and if
    you try to install the scanner software it will fail to detect the
    scanner at all. You need to download and install the ASPI layer driver
    from the Adaptec site. Once you have that installed, the Nikon software
    should detect the scanner when it is connected to the SCSI bus.

    By the way, there is an update for the Coolscan 3 firmware (to Version
    1.3.1) available on the Nikon Technical Support site, and the latest
    version of the software that is compatible (Nikonscan 3.1.2) is
    available there too.
    --
    Kennedy
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > In article <uzn_d.6612$ZB6.4841@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, wingman
    > <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >>
    >>"Kennedy McEwen" <rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> In article <phk_d.10894$DW.10825@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, wingman
    >>> <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >>>
    >>> Are you sure about that? What SCSI to parallel port adapter is this?
    >>> --
    >>
    >>I don't know if it's an OEM part, but the owner says the setup worked on
    >>an
    >>older system (probably Win98) with the scanner connected to the parallel
    >>pass-through port of a zip drive.
    >
    > I am fairly certain that he is telling you pork pies. SCSI and parallel
    > ports are completely different structures and, while there may be a
    > convertor card to interface the two, they can't just be connected by an
    > interface cable..
    >
    >>Anyway, my plan is to install an adaptec
    >>2940 pci card and connect the scanner with a scsi to scsi cable. Will XP
    >>detect and provide a driver for the Adaptec card, or do I need to download
    >>driver in advance? Assuming the scsi interface installs properly what
    >>version of the Nikon Scan software should I use with the scanner? I
    >>currently have 3.x. Thanks!
    >>
    > XP does not have the drivers to operate the SCSI card directly and if you
    > try to install the scanner software it will fail to detect the scanner at
    > all. You need to download and install the ASPI layer driver from the
    > Adaptec site. Once you have that installed, the Nikon software should
    > detect the scanner when it is connected to the SCSI bus.
    >
    > By the way, there is an update for the Coolscan 3 firmware (to Version
    > 1.3.1) available on the Nikon Technical Support site, and the latest
    > version of the software that is compatible (Nikonscan 3.1.2) is available
    > there too.

    Thanks for helpful information. I plan to work on it today so we'll see how
    it goes...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "wingman" <sbt@silcom.com> wrote in message

    > "Kennedy McEwen" <rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> In article
    >> <uzn_d.6612$ZB6.4841@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, wingman
    >> <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >>>
    >>>"Kennedy McEwen" <rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in
    >>>message

    >>>I don't know if it's an OEM part, but the owner says the
    >>>setup worked on an
    >>>older system (probably Win98) with the scanner connected
    >>>to the parallel
    >>>pass-through port of a zip drive.
    >>
    >> I am fairly certain that he is telling you pork pies.
    >> SCSI and parallel ports are completely different
    >> structures and, while there may be a convertor card to
    >> interface the two, they can't just be connected by an
    >> interface cable..
    >>
    >>>Anyway, my plan is to install an adaptec
    >>>2940 pci card and connect the scanner with a scsi to scsi
    >>>cable. Will XP
    >>>detect and provide a driver for the Adaptec card, or do I
    >>>need to download a
    >>>driver in advance? Assuming the scsi interface installs
    >>>properly what
    >>>version of the Nikon Scan software should I use with the
    >>>scanner? I
    >>>currently have 3.x. Thanks!
    >>>
    >> XP does not have the drivers to operate the SCSI card
    >> directly and if you try to install the scanner software
    >> it will fail to detect the scanner at all. You need to
    >> download and install the ASPI layer driver from the
    >> Adaptec site. Once you have that installed, the Nikon
    >> software should detect the scanner when it is connected
    >> to the SCSI bus.
    >>
    >> By the way, there is an update for the Coolscan 3
    >> firmware (to Version 1.3.1) available on the Nikon
    >> Technical Support site, and the latest version of the
    >> software that is compatible (Nikonscan 3.1.2) is
    >> available there too.
    >
    > Thanks for helpful information. I plan to work on it
    > today so we'll see how it goes...

    Discovered that I don't have the right scsi cable.
    Apparently I need a mini DB50male to min DB50male to hook
    the coolscan to the 2940. Is that correct and can you
    suggest a good source for one of these?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <j_4%d.12118$DW.9861@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Swingman
    <sbt@silcom.com> writes

    >Discovered that I don't have the right scsi cable.
    >Apparently I need a mini DB50male to min DB50male to hook
    >the coolscan to the 2940. Is that correct and can you
    >suggest a good source for one of these?

    Sounds right - most PC hardware stores will have them.
    --
    Kennedy
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    > In article <j_4%d.12118$DW.9861@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Swingman
    > <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >>

    >>Discovered that I don't have the right scsi cable.
    >>Apparently I need a mini DB50male to min DB50male to hook
    >>the coolscan to the 2940. Is that correct and can you
    >>suggest a good source for one of these?
    >>
    > Sounds right - most PC hardware stores will have them.

    Well, I finally discovered what the original configuration for the scanner
    was. It was connected to the extra port on a SCSI Zip drive. I mistakenly
    thought it was connected to a parallel port since the "Zip Zoom SCSI PCI
    Card" has a 25pin D-shell connector just like a parallel port. Anyway, now
    I'm wondering if we can recreate this configuration on WindowsXP Pro, i.e.
    can I install a ZIP PCI SCSI card, connect the Zip drive and then attach the
    Coolscan Negative Scanner to the SCSI "pass-through" connector on the Zip
    drive? Would both the Zip drive and the scanner work?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <btabe.567$6z3.47@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, swingman
    <sbt@silcom.com> writes

    >"Kennedy McEwen" <rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> In article <j_4%d.12118$DW.9861@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Swingman
    >> <sbt@silcom.com> writes
    >>>

    >>>Discovered that I don't have the right scsi cable.
    >>>Apparently I need a mini DB50male to min DB50male to hook
    >>>the coolscan to the 2940. Is that correct and can you
    >>>suggest a good source for one of these?
    >>>
    >> Sounds right - most PC hardware stores will have them.
    >
    >Well, I finally discovered what the original configuration for the scanner
    >was. It was connected to the extra port on a SCSI Zip drive. I mistakenly
    >thought it was connected to a parallel port since the "Zip Zoom SCSI PCI
    >Card" has a 25pin D-shell connector just like a parallel port. Anyway, now
    >I'm wondering if we can recreate this configuration on WindowsXP Pro, i.e.
    >can I install a ZIP PCI SCSI card, connect the Zip drive and then attach the
    >Coolscan Negative Scanner to the SCSI "pass-through" connector on the Zip
    >drive? Would both the Zip drive and the scanner work?

    Yes, but you will have to install the ASPI layer driver, available from
    the Adaptec website, to get XP to recognise the SCSI devices - certainly
    the scanner and, probably, the ZIP drive.
    --
    Kennedy
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    >>Well, I finally discovered what the original configuration for the scanner
    >>was. It was connected to the extra port on a SCSI Zip drive. I
    >>mistakenly
    >>thought it was connected to a parallel port since the "Zip Zoom SCSI PCI
    >>Card" has a 25pin D-shell connector just like a parallel port. Anyway,
    >>now
    >>I'm wondering if we can recreate this configuration on WindowsXP Pro, i.e.
    >>can I install a ZIP PCI SCSI card, connect the Zip drive and then attach
    >>the
    >>Coolscan Negative Scanner to the SCSI "pass-through" connector on the Zip
    >>drive? Would both the Zip drive and the scanner work?
    >>
    > Yes, but you will have to install the ASPI layer driver, available from
    > the Adaptec website, to get XP to recognise the SCSI devices - certainly
    > the scanner and, probably, the ZIP drive.
    > --
    > Kennedy

    Thanks Kennedy!

Scanners Nikon Coolscan Windows XP Peripherals