Unable to write to blank DVD+RW

lee

Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files n
stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to send
anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD drive
is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
Thanks, Lee

PS… I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner XP
Pro 3
and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW show
Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs and I
should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and buy
a more reputable brand.

Using Nero, perform a full erase of your new DVDs, then try
recording to them.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Lee" wrote:

| Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
| have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files n
| stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to send
| anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
| copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD drive
| is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
| haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
| Thanks, Lee
|
| PS… I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner XP
| Pro 3
| and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
| noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
| you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW show
| Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs and I
| should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and buy
| a more reputable brand.

lee

Hi, thanks for the advice but unfortunately it didnt't solve the problem :(
thanks anyway :)

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using Nero, perform a full erase of your new DVDs, then try
> recording to them.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Lee" wrote:
>
> | Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
> | have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files n
> | stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to send
> | anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
> | copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD drive
> | is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
> | haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
> | Thanks, Lee
> |
> | PS… I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner XP
> | Pro 3
> | and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
> | noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
> | you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW show
> | Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs and I
> | should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and buy
> | a more reputable brand.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Nero or looking for a more
recent update to Nero

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
> have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files
> stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to
> send
> anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
> copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD
> drive
> is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
> haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
> Thanks, Lee
>
> PS. I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner
> XP
> Pro 3
> and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
> noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
> you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW
> show
> Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs
> and I
> should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and
> buy
> a more reputable brand.

Windows doesn't understand writing to DVDs, only to CDs. To write DVDs, you
MUST use a 3rd party prog, like Nero...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group