Unable to write to blank DVD+RW

Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files n
stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to send
anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD drive
is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
Thanks, Lee

PS… I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner XP
Pro 3
and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW show
Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs and I
should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and buy
a more reputable brand.
4 answers Last reply
More about unable write blank

    Using Nero, perform a full erase of your new DVDs, then try
    recording to them.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Lee" wrote:

    | Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
    | have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files n
    | stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to send
    | anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
    | copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD drive
    | is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
    | haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
    | Thanks, Lee
    |
    | PS… I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner XP
    | Pro 3
    | and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
    | noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
    | you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW show
    | Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs and I
    | should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and buy
    | a more reputable brand.

    Hi, thanks for the advice but unfortunately it didnt't solve the problem :(
    thanks anyway :)

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Using Nero, perform a full erase of your new DVDs, then try
    > recording to them.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Lee" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
    > | have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files n
    > | stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to send
    > | anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
    > | copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD drive
    > | is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
    > | haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
    > | Thanks, Lee
    > |
    > | PS… I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner XP
    > | Pro 3
    > | and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
    > | noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
    > | you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW show
    > | Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs and I
    > | should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and buy
    > | a more reputable brand.

    You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Nero or looking for a more
    recent update to Nero

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I just bought 15x Blank DVD+RW from Tesco, they are MR.DVDs that they
    > have just started selling. I wanted these to copy just over 50Gb of files
    > stuff so I can format my hard drive. But for some reason I am unable to
    > send
    > anything to the DVD Rom while these DVDs are in. It just says preparing to
    > copy thats stays for a minute or two then vanishes and thats it. My DVD
    > drive
    > is a Philips DVDR824P DVD+RW recorder. It is enabled to write to dvds so I
    > haven't got a clue what is wrong. Your help will be much appreciated. Many
    > Thanks, Lee
    >
    > PS. I have just tired to burn files on to the DVD using Nero, CD Burner
    > XP
    > Pro 3
    > and without success. So I put in a blank TDK DVD+R that I have spare and
    > noticed that when you open the CD folder obviously its blank but does tell
    > you the capacity: 4,700,372,992 bytes - 4.37GB where as the new DVD+RW
    > show
    > Capacity: 0 and 0GB. So I guess the DVD+RW is not reading these DVD+RWs
    > and I
    > should just give up and try and take them back to Tesco for a refund and
    > buy
    > a more reputable brand.

    Windows doesn't understand writing to DVDs, only to CDs. To write DVDs, you
    MUST use a 3rd party prog, like Nero...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group