eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have never built a system before today. I put the parts together, did everything computer building manuals told me to, and the computer didn't turn on. I have no prior experience in building computers aside from installing a power supply, ram, and a graphics card. If anybody has any ideas as to why my computer won't turn on, that would be very helpful.
Here are my specs:
Core 2 Duo E6400 Processor
Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard
Scythe Infinty Cooler
7200.10 Seagate 250 Gb Hdd
7950 GT KO EVGA Graphics card
Antec True Power 550 PSU
Lian-Li 65-A Case

You didn't list any memory but I'm assuming you did put some in it right?

When you say it won't start does that mean when you push the power button absolutely nothing happens?

You have hooked up the front panel connection wires to the motherboard?

Check all connections and make sure additional power supply motherboard connections are made.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
My bad, I have 2x512 mb dimms corsair 800 mhz ram
And I do think I put in all of the front pannel connections. I am just not sure if I put them in the right place. The psu connections are fine. And yes I press the button and nothing happens at all.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
is it a new psu? you can test it alone by shorting out the green wire with any black one on the main motherboard connector (make sure a hdd and the optical drive are connected for power, remove the motherboard and video card power connectors to be safe) or short out the two pins that the case power wires connect to on the motherboard.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I'm pretty sure that it's not the psu because I think that when I turn on the psu I think I hear a slight humm when I turn it on. But I still might want to try what you said but I'm not familiar with the different colored wires. All I am really familiar with is what psu wire goes to what.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I would just like to confirm that the front pannel connections are the things such as the hdd light, power light, restart, etc. If so, then I don't know if I put them in the right place because there are no labels as to what plugs go where. There are just colors. I have no ideas what these colors correspond to. All I know is that the different cables I stated before plug into the bottom right hand corner of the motherboard. IF you can tell me if there is a specific plug for eachplug, that would be helpful. Also, I am aware that there is a possibility of differnt computer parts being dead. Is there any way to check if parts are dead aside from what waylander said before?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I would just like to confirm that the front pannel connections are the things such as the hdd light, power light, restart, etc. If so, then I don't know if I put them in the right place because there are no labels as to what plugs go where. There are just colors. I have no ideas what these colors correspond to. All I know is that the different cables I stated before plug into the bottom right hand corner of the motherboard. IF you can tell me if there is a specific plug for eachplug, that would be helpful. Also, I am aware that there is a possibility of differnt computer parts being dead. Is there any way to check if parts are dead aside from what waylander said before?

it is possable that you have a bad part. remember that just because its new, doesnt mean its good.

but check your mobo owners manual and double check the
front panel connects that you were talking about.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I did check the mobo manual. All it shows me is a picture of the motherboard and the major plugs and inputs. It doesn't say what the F_something that I don't remember. I checked multiple sites. For some reason this thing seems to be the thing that everyone overlooks.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
all im saying is if you cross some of the front panel connects.
well = no boot.

but im blind anyway so its always a problem for me.

if i get any blinder ill need contacts so thick i cant close my eyes :lol:

brokenticker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
did you try downloading the manual from the gigabyte site?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=17335

Assuming I'm looking at the right board, the info your looking for on the connector pins for the front panel are on page 23. Sometimes I find the manuel in the box can leave a little to be desired. If those are correct then you might have either a bad mobo or psu is my guess. Also try resetting the bios by pulling the battery. I've had a couple of builds trip on me and suddenly it wouldn't start up. Goodluck

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
After looking through three MB manuals, I still can't find the case gnd pin on any of my MB's.... And I always chuck out those metal crappy standoffs that come with most cases in favor of some nice nylon ones.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I'm beginning to think it may be the mobo or psu too. I plan to go to a comp hardware store and get a psu tester to see if it is the psu. I may have a problem if I do just have a bad mobo. When I installed my insanely large hs/f I decided that it was quite large so I decided to try and take it off and replace it with the intel stock. I couldn't get the hs/f off. Isn't it supposed to be possible to take the hs/f off for future upgrade? If I can't take off the hs/f am I stuck eating the cost of a cpu, mobo, and hs/f? Or is there some special way to take off a hs/f?

advcomp2019

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Did you put the motherboard stand-offs at the right locations and did not use too many motherboard stand-offs? That will ground the motherboard to the case and you do not want it to do that.

Its very important that these connections are made properly if the Power Switch is not connected to the power switch pins on the M/B header the computer will not start.

The M/B panel connector header is in your M/B manual and lists each location to plug the front panel wires into and should give a reference orientation to the + and - orientation to the wires.

What may be unclear to you is the wires from the front panel say the power switch wire is usually Black - and Red + some cases use White for - just remember the colored wire is most always the + connector.

brokenticker supplied a link to your M/B manual with instructions that the panel connector information is on page 23 and it is, if thats the same as what your actual M/B manual shows, then you see a M/B diagram and a schematic layout next to it, go by that schematic layout next to the M/B picture.

Disregard the chart below because it gives some screwed up information as to pin 1 and 2 orientation

Panel pin orientation:

Thats the pin reference on the panel connector header whether theres a metal pin in the location or not.

HDD LED or IDE LED = 1+ 3-
RESET SWITCH = 5- 7+
Disregard NC pin 9
POWER LED = 2+ 4-
POWER SWITCH = 6+ 8-
SPEAKER = 14+ 20-

Remember colored wires are +
Black is always negative and usually with a Red positive
White is negative when used with a colored wire like green
If you ever run into a Black and White, Black is negative

If your case connection wires have a 3 pin POWER LED theres a separate connection header diagram location on page 22, pin 1+ 3-

I hope this helps you!

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I did what you told me and now I noticed something that happens when I tutn on my computer. There are two led lights in the front of my computer and they turn on for a split secnd the first time I turn on my computer. I mean that I could keep hitting the power button and they won't turn on again. I'm still culeless so I assume that I put the F_Panel plugs are in the right place. Also I think that that would also rule out the psu. Any furter information would be apprecieated.

eatinpaper

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I hooked the cpu fan to the slot "CPU FAN." I plugged something that looked like the right plug into "FAN Something." And I did take off the protective plastic.