newbie to computer cooling...fan question

ledzep228

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Been reading over many, many case cooling solutions. My question is this: is it neccessary to have a designated fan for CPU, GPU, PSU as well as 3 or 4 other case fans? Or will just the fans specifically for the CPU, GPU, PSU suffice? Thanks!

-ledzep

If you do not exhaust the hot air out of the case by more means than just the P/S fan, your system will run extremely hot and possibly crash from the heat buildup, thats what case fans are for, to pull in cool air and exhaust the hot air, to keep an environment inside the case that the CPU and GPU can use to keep cool.

I assume you're a Zeppelin fan?

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
For an average PC, you'll need at least 1 exaust fan on the back of the case (along with CPU/GPU/PSU fans) to force hot air out of the enclosure or as ryan said your components could overheat.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
You are asking a generic question without consideration of any of the real variables such as specific CPU, GPU, PSU, case, ambient temp, etc.

There is no answer without applicable details. Some systems can run from ONE lone fan, others cannot. Since you are a self-described newbie, I recommend you not try to outthink the conventions used to cool a typical system and stick with those, until you have specific reasons to believe you can alter a specific system config (already existing system) for a specific reason.

In general, it is worse to have fewer fans. The fewer you have, the higher the RPM has to be to remove heat from each part, and from entire system . For example, two low speed 80mm fans moving (really moving, NOT the free-air rating which is non-applicable to an actual device implementation) 15 CFM each, 30 CFM total, with have a lower additive noise (perception) than one 80mm fan moving same 30 CFM. Certainly this idea could be taken to extremes beyond any real benefit, beyond a certain # if your parts are still too hot there's usually another case like inadequate heatsink or 'sink-part junction, or those pathetic attempts at stamped-out-metal grills seen in some poor cases.

3 or 4 case fans are seldom necessary, but could be quieter than fewer fans, if the case does't allow larger (like 92-120mm) sizes. Remember that the key is having no dead zones around hotter parts and that the typical case design is such that fans exhaust out the back, making it more beneficial to have ample air intake areas in the bottom front, to passively cool the hard drive (rack).

Beyond that, addt'l fans are added as needed, if other parts aren't staying cool enough. It's also possible that if a case doesn't need fans in all it's potential fan mount locations, that these locations should be blocked off, not just left as open holes (with the exception of the bottom front intake, it's practically always needing to be a passive intake).

ledzep228

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
You are asking a generic question without consideration of any of the real variables such as specific CPU, GPU, PSU, case, ambient temp, etc.

There is no answer without applicable details. Some systems can run from ONE lone fan, others cannot. Since you are a self-described newbie, I recommend you not try to outthink the conventions used to cool a typical system and stick with those, until you have specific reasons to believe you can alter a specific system config (already existing system) for a specific reason.

It is quite possible that I was simply in search of a generic answer, which you did eventually give me. Thank you.

Please do not succumb to the perjoratively elitist attitude that runs rampant among so many self-indulgent techies. :roll:

Playing into your desire for applicable details, this is the system I have been considering thus far:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
x1800 or better GPU
550W PSU
Asus P5W DH Deluxe

This is as far as I have gotten, therefore making these all the details I can provide you with.

Thanks,
ledzep

ledzep228

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Please do not succumb to the perjoratively elitist attitude that runs rampant among so many self-indulgent techies.

And by the way its pejoratively :wink:

How did that "r" sneak it's way in there!? 8O

Great just cruising THGF and trying to help some of these guys with problems, I know they get frustrated at times a computer is great when its up and running, but it can really be a pain when it isn't and you can't figure out whats wrong with it. Take care buddy! Ry

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
It is quite possible that I was simply in search of a generic answer, which you did eventually give me. Thank you.

Please do not succumb to the perjoratively elitist attitude that runs rampant among so many self-indulgent techies.

If there were a valid, generic answer, there would be only one case config, one fan config, etc, etc.

What's elitist about doing it right? You asked the question, if you didn't care then why even bother asking?

Be humble in ignorance and willing to provide the details without attitude. The answer I gave was not complete, not necessarily the best for your particular system but you have run out of time and must insert another quarter into the slot.

If there were a valid, generic answer, there would be only one case config, one fan config, etc, etc.

What's elitist about doing it right? You asked the question, if you didn't care then why even bother asking?

Be humble in ignorance and willing to provide the details without attitude. The answer I gave was not complete, not necessarily the best for your particular system but you have run out of time and must insert another quarter into the slot.

:lol: Ouch!

SPARTAN-117

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Depends on what you want do with your rig. If its going to be stock with no OC'ing then a case will generally have 6-7 fans in it for the PSU, CPU, GPU, Chipset and 2-3 case fans. If you're like me and want quiet, high performance stuff, low temps, OC some, and care about your HDD's your system will have 13-14 fans. I currently have 1 PCI Fan, 3 Case fans, 1 PSU Fan, 1 CPU Fan, 1 VGA Fan (will have 2 in the future for SLI), 1 Chipset Fan, and 3 HDD Fans with a Phys-X card Fan coming when they get one made for it. And it all hums at full load at around 30dba (my Raptor HDD is louder than PSU Fan and its a Delta 8O ).

Hope this helps.