Sign in with
Your question

750MHz AMD Duron

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2006 1:58:09 AM

I am new to overclocking and have a 750MHz AMD Duron processor. Can anyone give me a guide and overclocking rating on this specific processor?

More about : 750mhz amd duron

November 7, 2006 2:20:48 AM

Sorry to tell you,but you're wasting your time trying to overclock a duron processor.I know cause I have a 950 duron and it absolutely sucks for oc'ing.I got into the athlon xp series and was never disapointed with my overclocking.I was able to achieve up to 30% oc with just about any athlon xp,and my gaming was awesome.But seriously,try to find an athlon xp 2500+-3200+Barton cores and you'll always have fun oc'ing.Anyways,Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
November 7, 2006 2:22:09 AM

Sorry to tell you,but you're wasting your time trying to overclock a duron processor.I know cause I have a 950 duron and it absolutely sucks for oc'ing.I got into the athlon xp series and was never disapointed with my overclocking.I was able to achieve up to 30% oc with just about any athlon xp,and my gaming was awesome.But seriously,try to find an athlon xp 2500+-3200+Barton cores and you'll always have fun oc'ing.Anyways,Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2006 2:25:21 AM

Dont expect to get that much out of it. I had an athlon 800mhz that I OCed to 978mhz, which is pretty good as a percentage of original speed, but not that much in pure clock increase by todays standards where overclocks of more than 1GHz are not all that rare if you have the right stuff and the know-how.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1282&p=1

Heres one guide. Google overclocking a duron and you will find plenty of info about it. Be warned that you can damage or destroy your cpu if you do something wrong at a hardware level, ie. if you physically modify the pins or other electrical components on the cpu. However, simply upping the cpu frequency has an almost 0% chance of causing any damage. Also watch your temperatures, if they get too high and you keep it like that over an extended period, you will almost definitely shorten the lifespan of the cpu.
November 7, 2006 2:32:23 AM

I found an old 750mhz Duron at work not long ago, I got it upto 825mhz I think it was, that was by changing the FSB switches on the motherboard (overclocking like a real man :p  ). Can't remember what the setting were sorry but yeah, 825mhz was the highest i got and after that the next preset was a huge jump and way to high so it stayed on 825, it never got used and only bothered priming it for 10 mins.
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2006 3:27:01 AM

Quote:
I found an old 750mhz Duron at work not long ago, I got it upto 825mhz I think it was, that was by changing the FSB switches on the motherboard (overclocking like a real man :p  ). Can't remember what the setting were sorry but yeah, 825mhz was the highest i got and after that the next preset was a huge jump and way to high so it stayed on 825, it never got used and only bothered priming it for 10 mins.

Did you try upping voltage? I unlocked my multiple (the good old "golden bridges" trick) and upped it to 9x (from 8x) to get 900mhz, then just upped the fsb in the BIOS (using an ASUS A7V). Couldnt get it to run prime95 at 1ghz (10x) but could boot and play a bit of COD2 on it with a geforce 4 ti4400 (yes, it could play COD2, at about 18fps, but hey thats not too bad for a 6 year old system :wink: )
November 7, 2006 4:06:48 AM

And I thought I was stuck in the stone age trying to oc my Barton 2500+ last month. Makes me feel a bit better bout my rig. Thanx. I had a Duron 1200+ but didn't know much bout OCing then...
November 7, 2006 4:25:18 AM

Ya and you should get 2.19 ghz. outta that bad boy.In fact if you tweak the voltage a bit you can get up to 2.3ghz.stable.All that from 1.833ghz.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
November 7, 2006 4:28:53 AM

I've had it running on 2.2Ghz for the last month now stable at stock voltages and cooling. Considdering it's 2+ years old and my case cooling sucks, I'm all happy.
November 7, 2006 4:48:52 AM

Durons have their multiplier "locked" outside of the processor.
You could actually connect the laser cut tracers (as easily as with pencil led) and be able to adjust the multiplier.
I think other members can verify this and even supply a link.

I'm just to lazy this evening to look.

A little FSB and a little Multiplier should let the smoke out with no problem :lol: 
November 7, 2006 5:04:36 AM

Does that include the fire that goes with smoke??? :wink:
November 7, 2006 5:52:25 AM

Nah didn't bother trying anything else, no options in the bios for overclocking only those switches on the motherboard and i didn't want to fool around to much as i wanted it to still work as an Internet radio :p 
November 7, 2006 6:11:49 AM

My dad still runs a Duron 1.1ghz (soon to be replaced by a PowerMac G4) which, no matter what I try, idles at 50 degrees.

Imagine that but with cranked vcore and speed. Good luck.
November 7, 2006 6:22:08 AM

there was an article in THG's overclocking section years ago, on how to unlock multipliers on organic packaged Athlons - in short, you added a protective layer over the existing bridges and re-traced them with a conductive pen (the kind used to repair broken circuitry) which allowed... free multiplier.

Still, if you got your hands on a 166MHz-FSB Athlon, you are given considerable leeway to overclock it (166-220 MHz for its FSB).

As to a Duron 750/850, those models had a maximum theoretical clock speed of 1.2 GHz; I have a late 950 (same chip design as above), and I run it at 1 GHz; 1.15 GHz is possible too, but only when heavily overvolted (and cooled) and not really stable.

I had a friend who had gotten a Duron 600 and unlocked it (with some pencil lead), and reached (on air) 1.2GHz... But this kind of overclock doesn't happen often. You could hope to reach this kind of speed (it's respectable enough for an old piece of junk...), and with a good motherboard and some fast memory, keep a 1/1 FSB/RAM ratio; in such a case, it can rock and be almost useable in today's less demanding games (forget about playing FEAR on it, but Doom3 is possible)
November 7, 2006 6:44:52 AM

I have run it at 220 but I had to put a fan next to my case. Can't do that now, it's a very hot summer this year in SA.

I don't have the best mobo for ocing (crappy asus cheapo with VIA chipset - don't laugh, it was an emergency replacement) Can only raise the volts to 1.85 from the 1.65 stock.

Luckily I got some nice corsair ram from a friend which handles the OC with no problem at all. Haven't played with the timings yet.

I just love how XP and CPU's see my CPU as a 3200+ when OC'ed to 200fsb.
November 7, 2006 7:02:57 AM

in regards to the original author don't bother.

I know it's not very helpful but in reality it kinda is.

if your only comp is a 750 duron then absolutely don't bother it won't make any practical difference..... if you can find some add some ram try and get up to 1024mb if you can for a very low price.

following that save your coin and get something, at this point almost anything will be vastly superior.

if you really want to overclock with a platform that will make a difference and remain on a budget Intel is almost giving away P4 dual cores, AMD is pretty close to giving away Sempron's, and Single core Athlon 64's all that is required are the right motherboards with the right settings.

memory isn't nearly as important as it once was in regards to overclocking although quantity matters with 1024mb being minimum in todays apps.

back when I was using socket A's I had a few that were hitting 2500mhz with water cooling at stock voltages.

if I was stuck with air cooling I tried my best to hit 2300mhz as that was some kind of sweet spot for the CPU it was almost like it opened up like a boat planing on water but heat was an issue recquiring the side panel removal a 2nd fan above the heatsink and at the time I was using a Thermaltake copper heatsink.
November 7, 2006 7:13:35 PM

Thanks for all those that responded. I'm getting a $1500-2000 laptop in February/March, so obviously it will be a LOT faster, I just plan on using this machine to do experiments with....if it blows up somehow, it blows up :D  lol. I have 640MB of PC133 ram on this, it's old, but it's all i have right now. My mother is a Compaq 06E4h, if I recall correctly it can support an Athlon 1.3GHz processor at most.
November 13, 2006 12:50:07 PM

Quote:
I have run it at 220 but I had to put a fan next to my case. Can't do that now, it's a very hot summer this year in SA.

I don't have the best mobo for ocing (crappy asus cheapo with VIA chipset - don't laugh, it was an emergency replacement) Can only raise the volts to 1.85 from the 1.65 stock.

Luckily I got some nice corsair ram from a friend which handles the OC with no problem at all. Haven't played with the timings yet.

I just love how XP and CPU's see my CPU as a 3200+ when OC'ed to 200fsb.

I Used to have a 2500+ Barton, and I think I had a great specimen... too bad someone thought they could use it better than I could :( 
Has mine up to 2400MHz, no sweat, stock voltage and cooling. Dunno how prime stable it was tho :oops:  never tested it then, and I only ran it like that for a few hours, just had it at 2200MHz 24/7

You are right dade, it is a hot summer here this year.
a b K Overclocking
November 13, 2006 8:57:36 PM

Quote:

Global warming... now its affecting our overclocks too! 8O :evil: 
November 14, 2006 2:46:16 AM

Quote:

Global warming... now its affecting our overclocks too! 8O :evil: 
LMAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
!