realm249

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
I have a client that has a computer that is having problems. I have eliminated as many things as possible and I now need to troubleshoot the processor. She has a dell dimension 4400 with a 1.7ghz pentium processor in it.

I have two questions:

1. Can I test if it is the processor by using a spare 2.6ghz celeron processor that is socket 478 or does it need to be a pentium?

2. One of the bios updates that was done to the pc stated that it provided support for up to 4ghz peocesors. does this mean that I could take a 3.4ghz p4 socket 478 with hyperthreading and throw it in there with no problem?

Sorry if these are simple/silly questions. I'm new to playing with processors.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Andy-

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I have a client that has a computer that is having problems. I have eliminated as many things as possible and I now need to troubleshoot the processor. She has a dell dimension 4400 with a 1.7ghz pentium processor in it.

I have two questions:

1. Can I test if it is the processor by using a spare 2.6ghz celeron processor that is socket 478 or does it need to be a pentium?

2. One of the bios updates that was done to the pc stated that it provided support for up to 4ghz peocesors. does this mean that I could take a 3.4ghz p4 socket 478 with hyperthreading and throw it in there with no problem?

Sorry if these are simple/silly questions. I'm new to playing with processors.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

-Andy-
Yes, the Celeron 2.6 will work IF the BIOS supports CPU's at that speed(which you stated it does). Most newer P4 motherboards(but not all) support hyper-threading, and therefore the 3.4GHz P4 might work....again..assuming the motherboard/current BIOS support it. The problem with the 3.4 is the 800MHz FSB. A lot of older P4 motherboards will handle 400/533MHz FSB, but not 800. Best to do your homework on that one. So, the 2.6 Celeron should work, the 3.4 P4 is iffy. GL :)

realm249

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
thanks for the reply 1tanker

So when you say that the mb may not support the 800mhz FSB do you mean that the processor (3.4ghz) will just plain not work, or that it will see the 800mhz FSB as 433/500mhz and work but not a full potential?

-Andy-

The processor has to be a socket 478 processor or it will not work.
Socket 478 do not go any further than 3.2 to the best of my knowledge.
800 MHZ FSB should be supported most likely on your motherboard.
Look in the Bios for FSB settings 100/133/200. If you have those settings you can use 800 MHZ socket 478 processors. You cannot use any LGA775 processors on your motherboard.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
So when you say that the mb may not support the 800mhz FSB do you mean that the processor (3.4ghz) will just plain not work, or that it will see the 800mhz FSB as 433/500mhz and work but not a full potential?

Could be work but i'm not sure 100%. Could be dangerous too.

Have you heard overclocking ?
Usually when you overclock the Processor you'll raise the FSB (most processor has locked multiplier). More higher the FSB, more higher clock you gain and more power you'll need.

So, let's do this vice versa.

Your processor run in 3.4GHz with FSB 800 (intel is quadpumped then the real FSB is 200MHz) and it's multiplier is 17. While in this FSB, processor will need lets say 1.45v.
If the FSB is 533 (real = 133), multiplier 17, 1.45v, then your processor will run at 2.261 GHz, but the same 1.45v.
The processor run slower, but it receives lots of power. Where it throw the power ? as HEAT. What happen when the processor is overheat ? well...you know it. It won't run at all, or you'll see some fireworks.

NathanMD

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
According to the Dell support site below, this computer uses an older Intel 845B based motherboard that ONLY supports a 400MHz FSB. Also, only specific processors will be recognized, as listed in the specs in the site below. No BIOS updates will change this. Newer processors, such as the Celeron and Pentium 4 that you have mentioned above likely will not work and, as Slicessoul mentioned, the motherboard could damage them.

The Dell Dimension 4400 Tech Specs page is here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/specs.htm#1101572

What you need is another Williamette-based Pentium 4 processor or, better, you could try the processor in a newer 478-based motherboard to rule it out as the problem.