A problem I've never seen before.

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I recently help a friend put together a new system and it won't fully boot. All components are recognized correctly. I've gone into the BIOS and adjusted every setting I can think of nothing works. When I try to boot from the Windows XP CD, it will begin the setup, but then go directly to starting windows w/o asking me if I want to do a repair install, etc... Also, I tried hitting F6 to install third party RAID/SCSI drivers and it froze.

Components:

Intel C2D E6400
GSkill 2x1GB 533mhz DDR2
120 GB PATA Seagate HDD
ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A (V5.1)

Has anyone experienced this or have some ideas that could potentially solve this problem?

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
While that is a quite helpful link, it won't work for the machine in question. When the windows cd is in the drive and booted from, it never makes it to the Recovery Console. It sets up the hardware profiles and then goes immediately to starting Windows.

Thanks anyways.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Without more info,the best i can come up with is a corrupt disk or O/S....
you're sure the IDE drives are set correctly as well: master/slave or cable-select...?

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
so are you installing to a drive which already had windows on it or is it a brand new drive? Maybe try fdisking that sucka and starting from fresh??

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Without more info,the best i can come up with is a corrupt disk or O/S....
you're sure the IDE drives are set correctly as well: master/slave or cable-select...?

What more information do you need? I'll provide all I can. Both drives are on separate cables and set to cable select.

so are you installing to a drive which already had windows on it or is it a brand new drive? Maybe try fdisking that sucka and starting from fresh??

I'm trying to use an old drive which already had windows xp installed on it. I can not do anything with the current disk because windows will not boot in any mode and I can't get to a dos prompt.

If a solution can't be found here, I'm going to remove it and hook the disk to my PC and run all the diagnostic programs on it. I may even try booting my pc from the hdd and see if that works. The HDD was previously set up and Windows installed with an AMD 2200+. If we were to start from fresh, a new hard drive is going to be purchased since my friend plans on using the old pieces for a computer for his kid.

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
well there's the problem, I didn't know you took HDD out of another system and trtied to reinstall it in a new system with different hardware........oops.
That wont work, you'll have to transfer the the O/S from the old drive to a new one that is already installed.........it's not recommended you try this, even if it does work you'll have to update all the drivers and reinstall all programs.
Whenever a Windows O/S is loaded onto a HDD the O/s takes a virtual snapshot of the hardware that is configured when it was originally installed, now that you have (tried) transferring that loaded HDD to another system the O/S took another snapshot of the new configuration, compared the 2 systems and said "there's somrething wrong with this picture".........

Qeldroma

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
My dad and I had a problem like this last night. What we found out was the windows disk was bad. Dont ask why.... :roll:

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
well there's the problem, I didn't know you took HDD out of another system and trtied to reinstall it in a new system with different hardware........oops.
That wont work, you'll have to transfer the the O/S from the old drive to a new one that is already installed.........it's not recommended you try this, even if it does work you'll have to update all the drivers and reinstall all programs.
Whenever a Windows O/S is loaded onto a HDD the O/s takes a virtual snapshot of the hardware that is configured when it was originally installed, now that you have (tried) transferring that loaded HDD to another system the O/S took another snapshot of the new configuration, compared the 2 systems and said "there's somrething wrong with this picture".........

Well, when I installed a new processor in my pc, I had to do a repair install to get it to correctly recognize the new processor(amd 3200+ to a AMDX2 4600+). I knew that Windows didn't like too many hardware changes too quickly (especially OEM versions). But I figured I could boot from the WinXP CD and just reinstall the files and be able to maintain everything else. But as previously stated, it doesn't work and reboots everytime before even getting the WinXP splash screen.

My dad and I had a problem like this last night. What we found out was the windows disk was bad. Dont ask why.... Rolling Eyes

Yeah, another friend of mine mentioned that it might be bad. I'm going to bring my copy over there today and see if I can get it to load off of it. If so, then we'll have to get a new copy of WinXP for him.

Thanks again guys, keep the ideas coming. :D

cubber

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You need to wipe the hard drive first before installing Windows. Use fdisk or a partitioning program to remove all the existing partitions.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I would say it's the CD too. If you have it set to boot to the CDROM with a bootable CD then the install should start. If it errors then it will try other bootable devices (which is why the hard drive with Windows is booting).

TheKeg

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I found a CD that worked. I tried to a repair, and we didn't have a floppy for that, so I went on and got the C prompt and tried the link above but that didn't fix it. I also tried adding a new partition to the 120GB HDD in the system, and it would't let me. so, now I guess the only option left is to erase it all and start a new.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I found a CD that worked. I tried to a repair, and we didn't have a floppy for that, so I went on and got the C prompt and tried the link above but that didn't fix it. I also tried adding a new partition to the 120GB HDD in the system, and it would't let me. so, now I guess the only option left is to erase it all and start a new.

Perhaps it wouldn't let you create a another partition because there was no more room on the drive for another partition. The 120 GB space is probably one partition taken up by the old installation of XP. It's best to delete that partition and create a new one since you are installing onto new hardware (you can do this within the setup of Windows).

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
that's because you didn't FDISK before trying to load and/or partition....
Do what we tell you or we will kill the girl....lol