HP 5470c won't communicate with PowerBook G4

I have had my HP Scanjet 5470c for a couple years without any problems
of note. The other day I tried to scan and got the following error
message:
"Sorry, the scanner could not be initalized. (An error has occurred
communicating with the scanner)."
I downloaded the HP software update PrecisionScan Pro v5.3.1 and
continue to have the same problem. I'm running Mac OS 10.3.8 on my
PowerBook G4.
After updating my scanner software, when I turn on my computer the
PrecisionScan software spontaneously starts, turns on the scanner, and
then gives shows the error message I mentioned above. I now must
unplug the USB cable to prevent that from happening. Since HP doesn't
provide support for this scanner any more and I need to scan some
items, I'm tempted to just buy a different one.
Any suggestions?????
Thanks in Advance, Greg

<grosz@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
> I have had my HP Scanjet 5470c for a couple years without any problems
> of note. The other day I tried to scan and got the following error
> message:
> "Sorry, the scanner could not be initalized. (An error has occurred
> communicating with the scanner)."
> I downloaded the HP software update PrecisionScan Pro v5.3.1 and
> continue to have the same problem. I'm running Mac OS 10.3.8 on my
> PowerBook G4.
> After updating my scanner software, when I turn on my computer the
> PrecisionScan software spontaneously starts, turns on the scanner, and
> then gives shows the error message I mentioned above. I now must
> unplug the USB cable to prevent that from happening. Since HP doesn't
> provide support for this scanner any more and I need to scan some
> items, I'm tempted to just buy a different one.
> Any suggestions?????
> Thanks in Advance, Greg

Looks like the scanner died.

Time to buy a new modern USB model.

A word to the wise, HP scanners are not as good as they once were, and there
are reports of bad service.

I have no personal experience with HP scanners, but there are several
messages about bad service. Also reports of bad service from HP in the NG
comp.periphs.scanners.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com