Trouble Loading XP Pro

I bought a XP Pro disc off of eBay and tried to load it over my Win ME
system. The damn thing only loads to about 27 - 31 % then repeatedly drops
out of the setup to re-boot and start the whole show over again, and again.
Is there anyway to rescue all the "good" files still left on the computer in
my Office 2000 directories? Or am I SOL.??!!

You can try reinstalling your previous operating system to a separate
partition on your hard drive and then copy the files from the old setup to
the new setup. This will require third party software such as Partition
Magic or System Commander but it can be done. Assuming the install you were
attempting was an upgrade over your previous setup, the data should still be
there. If you formatted the partition during this process and used NTFS as
opposed to FAT32, then you would be out of luck though you could try some
data recovery service.

See the third line in my signature, it would have prevented this issue as
well as give you peace of mind in the future.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

In news:yQpwd.4760$Zn6.121@trnddc08,
81mm <res0n8e5@verizon.net> typed:

>I bought a XP Pro disc off of eBay and tried to load it over my
>Win ME
> system. The damn thing only loads to about 27 - 31 % then
> repeatedly
> drops out of the setup to re-boot and start the whole show over
> again, and again. Is there anyway to rescue all the "good"
> files
> still left on the computer in my Office 2000 directories? Or
> am I
> SOL.??!!

Are you talking about data files? If so, worst case, you should
be able to temporarily install the drive as a second drive in
another computer and copy the files over.

Please reply to the newsgroup

81mm wrote:
> I bought a XP Pro disc off of eBay and tried to load it over my Win ME
> system. The damn thing only loads to about 27 - 31 % then repeatedly
> drops out of the setup to re-boot and start the whole show over
> again, and again. Is there anyway to rescue all the "good" files
> still left on the computer in my Office 2000 directories? Or am I
> SOL.??!!

See reply in setup_deployment. When posting the same question to multiple
related groups, do a cross-post instead of multiple posts.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com