is my AsRock 775Dual-VSTA a bottleneck, or my CPU??

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I gotta 400watt iCute power supply, this AsRock Dual-VSTA mobo, a Intel Pentium D805 (Running at stock speed, NOT oc'd) and 1gb of dual channel Corsair DDR2 ram running at 667mhz speed, and I've got an PCI express EVGA 7800gt OC card...yet when I play NBA Live 07... and I'm getting the same framerates I used to get in my old system, AND NO I DO NOT HAVE VSYNC ENABLED.... im gettin a crappy 50fps.....
my old system was an overclocked AMD Barton 2500+ Mobile (running at 3200+), and 1gb of Samsung DDR400 ram and XFX 6600gt AGP..........
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat in the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge is going on here?? I just also ran 3dmark06 and I'm getting a 3835 score, I dunno if thats normal for a 7800gt OC... but I noticed for both of the CPU tests I got 0 or sumtimes only 1 framerate!! is this normal ??? my cpu score is 1298??
one thing I'd like to point out is that, this motherboard only runs my PCI express at 4x and not the 16x speed that PCI express typically runs at? could this be the problem ??
and also since I've updated to the latest BIOS which is 2.10 for this MoBo, it has killed my DVI connection to my 21 inch widescreen LCD... I've tried it with another X800xl agp card and DVI would only show a black screen.
so so far I know one thing, that the motherboard killed my DVI connection which I need badly, cuz Im running a high resolution quality widescreen and analog vga connection just doesnt cut it...
now I'm wondering if this MoBo is also killing the framerates I should be getting considering the equipment I have inside my PC... and also, why is my cpu seem to be getting 0 framerates in 3dMark06 ?
any suggestions??

Have you used the online results browser to check what other people are getting...

You'll find that everyone gets 0-1FPS in the cpu tests, thats becuase they are cpu tests nd they are using the cpu as a gpu to render the entire scene.

For reference my 7900GTo scores about 5500 on '06, another poster with a 7900 xx(can't remember what) was scoring 6600ish. Which would tell me that your 7800GT might be about right at 3800.

Use the online results browser to look for similar systems, and take a close look at them, ignore the absurdly high scores as they are probably SLI, you'll probably find that you are about where you should be.

One thing that I would say though, a 400W PSU on an 805 (not know for being light in its power usage), and a 7800GT OC (Also not exactly a light user) are you sure you've got enough amps on those 12V rails.

As for the DVI issue, I'd regress back to 1.90, I had problems on 2.10 (FSB changed to 256 from 266 default) there is a beta version that corrects this, I'm waiting for the full update.

as for the FPS limit, don't know, coul dbe related to power?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
A strange choice of setup here.

Most Dual VSTA users don't have a PCI-E graphics card and DDR2 memory. This is because the idea of the board is to allow people with either AGP or DDR or both to upgrade without spending too much money.

Also most people that have bought it in the past 3 months or so have a Core2Duo stuck inside it.

You have no use for this board imo. You also have quite an expensive graphics card and half decent memory so i can't think why you cheaped on the mobo.

The 805 is a power hog as well, although you won't really overclock it far with this board, but yes check your power supply.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Isn't 3D Mark for testing the video card not the CPU? 50 FPS on a game is great. The human eye won't notice an diffrence between 45 FPS and 60PFs. After 45 FPS you will notice no diffrence. There is also a chance that the game it self can't provide more then 50FPS. It's not like there is alot of detail that need to be rendered that would require more frames. If the DVI connector isn't working then it's your video card that's the problem. The Motherboard has nothing to do with that.

You are wrooooooong. Seriously play a game at 45 fps then 60, then 90. If you don't notice a difference, pop down the opticians for an eye check. 8O

edit: found the link i wanted :p
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

check that out ;)

Adon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
hey 13th monkey.... I know eh, the 2.10 bios are just not cutting it....
but I tried reseting the bios, taking out the battery and resetting the CMOS... but the only thing that it changes is the time... it still stays at 2.10... how do I revert back to 1.90 bios ????
djgandy.. yea i know im doing some partial upgrading here....
what my next upgrade will be is another mobo, and a E6600 core 2 duo....
with that i need a new power supply....

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Ooops. Forgot about the "already on the upgrade path" angle!

If it's a true 400watt supply then it will be fine ;)
I'm on the 1.90 bios, was considering going 2.10 this morning after seeing it on asrock site last night.
Might be lucky i was browsing from my laptop if you are having trouble with it. I guess if it's not broke don't fix it :\

crone and myself have had the 256FSB problems, leading to a non-auto setting to get to 266FSB on 2.10.

crone had a dos only upgraded beta version of the bios sent to him and it works fine, he reckoons the FSB is more stable than it used to be, although I have noticed no problems.

ali_d

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
...As for the DVI issue, I'd regress back to 1.90, I had problems on 2.10 (FSB changed to 256 from 266 default) there is a beta version that corrects this, I'm waiting for the full update.....

Many thanks for spotting this I was wondering how my e6400 was slow clocking

asimons999

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
didnt a new bios come out recently? like newer then the 2.10.. i wonder if it fixes all these little problems people have been having..

yes there is a new one 2.2 its on their website.

No its doesn't fix things as far as I can tell. It is meant to be a quiet fan function fine tune, but as far as I can tell this means it is on all of the time at a higher level. might do more testing with it. Also the FSB is still reduced to 256, although like for 2.1 there is a 2.2b/c that resolves this part of the issue.