Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Recently built my first new build :

ASUS P5W-DH
CORSIAR DDR2 - 800MHZ 2 x 1GB
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 250 GB HD
LEADTECK NVIDEA 7900GS
CORE 2 DUO 6300...

Everything works fine except rebooting / booting. When I shut down the computer... it seems to turn off ok... but then if i click on say the mouse / keyboard the whole pc boots up again..? So it's never really truly off... power's still going to the USB devices.

Also if i hit the mains switch and kill power to the PSU.. when I boot the bios always defaults to try and boot from my external hard drive.... i always have to go into the bios to change the primary IDE drive. Why doens't it rememer the default?

I was wondering whether it had anything to do with the IR remote that comes with the MOBO ... but i've not installed it, and it's un-plugged.

I am a noob.. so hopefully it'll be something stupid and easy to fix!

Thanks for your help

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I had a similar problem to this and it turned out to be the PSU. I had to disconnect the power cable to get it to turn off completely. then, when I connected it again, it would boot without me having to actually press the power button. Any chance you could test with a different PSU?

crichards

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
There isn't simply something in the BIOS that allows wakeup on mouse/keyboard operation that you could disable is there?

kye3k1

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
This is what I think is a cool feature.

When you plug a USB device into the lower second USB port the motherboard detects that as a wake up port.

You should have gotten a little remote with the motherboard, this is where is plugs into so that theoretically you can turn on your PC. But it doesnt seem to work for me. If you turn the PC off by the wall or the PSU this feature wont work.

If you want to stop this happening you just need to switch your keyboard/mouse to another USB port.

You can also wake up by mouse click in the Bios (PS2) just disable it in there.

You need to change the boot order in the Bios to boot from the first IDE device and the power settings.
Change the setting to power on the computer by button only if that's the way you like it. I think it's neat to power on the computer by touching the keyboard, but I guess it's not everyone's case.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I think kye3k1 has got it correct. Two of the USB ports at the back are configured to wake up the PC if the device connected to it are used (that will be where you connect the IR device if you decide to use it). If your KB/Mouse are connected there, that will cause the pc to wake up when you use your mouse/kb

roundboy1987

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i had the same happening, ANNOYING rite!!!! wud move in my sleep and wake upto it being on!!! :( but if you change the power setting sin bios to s3 only it will sort out the problem of booting up from touch..... Job Done :)

hope this helps