Windows Mobile Phone Edition lacks of latest phone functions

February 17, 2005 2:12:21 PM

I just got my Motorola MPX with a pocket pc on it. This baby is great but
lacks of cool phone function such as

- Ringtone ID
- Picture ID
- Send/Receive Fax function
- Media Player supporting MIDI playback

I mean if other OSs can do it, why can't Microsoft.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:12:22 PM

"Amer Hazuan" <junk@idsfinance.com.my> wrote in message
> I just got my Motorola MPX with a pocket pc on it. This baby is great but
> lacks of cool phone function such as
>
> - Ringtone ID
> - Picture ID
> - Send/Receive Fax function
> - Media Player supporting MIDI playback
>
> I mean if other OSs can do it, why can't Microsoft.

ummmm...if you knew it lacked these supposedly
essential items, why did you buy it?
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:12:22 PM

Amer,

is the MPx released in the US? If so can you tell me where you got it
and the carrier?

Thanks,

Ed,

Amer Hazuan wrote:
> I just got my Motorola MPX with a pocket pc on it. This baby is great
but
> lacks of cool phone function such as
>
> - Ringtone ID
> - Picture ID
> - Send/Receive Fax function
> - Media Player supporting MIDI playback
>
> I mean if other OSs can do it, why can't Microsoft.
February 17, 2005 4:41:02 PM

Hi, Amer,

The MPX is among the most advanced devices out there, you should keep in
mind it sports Wifi, bluetooth, and a cell phone plus a PocketPC all in a
compact size. When designing such a device, the company has to accept some
tradeoffs, in this case, focus on some aspects and dismiss others. Anyway,
the functionality you are claiming for can be added via third party
programs. Perhaps the fax functionality is, IMHO, the most desirable. I
think Motorola has focused to an enterprise-ready, road-warrior device, with
strong connectivity (how many phones with WiFi capability have we seen?).
It's a PocketPC with Phone functionality, and not a phone with a PDA. I
certainly believe you can find some of the required functionality in
programs available online, or contact your cellular carrier to ask for this
(seems that your are in Malaysia, right?).

Best regards,

Carlos PĆ©rez
MVP

"Amer Hazuan" <junk@idsfinance.com.my> escribiĆ³ en el mensaje
> I just got my Motorola MPX with a pocket pc on it. This baby is great but
> lacks of cool phone function such as
>
> - Ringtone ID
> - Picture ID
> - Send/Receive Fax function
> - Media Player supporting MIDI playback
>
> I mean if other OSs can do it, why can't Microsoft.

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:56:25 PM

yeah, good question. too bad, I was attracted to it I forgot to check the
full functions. anyway since this is a new gadget, Microsoft should consider
including those features in pocket pc. those features are quite common
nowadays.

"V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "Amer Hazuan" <junk@idsfinance.com.my> wrote in message
> > I just got my Motorola MPX with a pocket pc on it. This baby is great
but
> > lacks of cool phone function such as
> >
> > - Ringtone ID
> > - Picture ID
> > - Send/Receive Fax function
> > - Media Player supporting MIDI playback
> >
> > I mean if other OSs can do it, why can't Microsoft.
> >

> ummmm...if you knew it lacked these supposedly
> essential items, why did you buy it?

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:56:26 PM

"Amer Hazuan" <junk@idsfinance.com.my> wrote in message
news:o d7iv0LFFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> yeah, good question. too bad, I was attracted to it I forgot to check the
> full functions. anyway since this is a new gadget, Microsoft should
> consider
> including those features in pocket pc. those features are quite common
> nowadays.

Midi playback? That is so dependent on the wavetable synthesis available on
the machine that I thought it had fallen out of favor. But it is cool that
someone mentioned it, and the files are indeed small enough.

Are you a musician perhaps?
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:39:56 PM

"Amer Hazuan" <junk@idsfinance.com.my> wrote in message
> I just got my Motorola MPX with a pocket pc on it. This baby is great but
> lacks of cool phone function such as
>
> - Ringtone ID
> - Picture ID
> - Send/Receive Fax function
> - Media Player supporting MIDI playback
>
> I mean if other OSs can do it, why can't Microsoft.

Try posting this in the PPC-Phone Edition ng
(microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition). You'll get a broader response.
All of those functions are available through add-in programs by non-MS
developers. Different add-ins contain various functions, so you have a
choice rather than being stuck with whatever MS put together and dropped
into the OS. I have an O2 XdaII and it has a few extras bundled with the
basic WM2003 that add the Picture ID function very nicely. Different brands
of hardware have different bundles of extra applications. That's the way
it's always been in the WinCE/PPC/WM arena. That's one way the various
manufacturers differentiate their products, by what their software bundle
contains.

My first PDA in 1998 was a WinCE 2.11 Philips Nino - it had voice command
built into the ROM. No one else has had that, even today, as far as I know,
except as an add-in applicaton. But most of the top phones have it pretty
standard.

I've just had a play with PPC-PE or WM2003 on my XdaII. It plays midi files
thru a bundled multimedia app, it plays mp3, wav, and wma thru MS Media
Player. It plays mpg video thru Pocket TV, part of the bundle, too. Plays
wmv video thru MS Media Player. Did your previous phone do all that?

You may want to spend a little more time with your users manual before you
start spouting off about what your new gadget can and can't do. It sometimes
is really a case of what the operator can and can't do, not the OS.

Bill K.
just a experienced user
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:00:58 PM

nah, I'm not a musician but nowadays most phone can use midi as ringtone.
talk about mp3, files are huge. midi is perfect for ringtone. great sound
with small file size. there are some 3rd party midi player outside. but it
would be nice if windows media player can incorporate midi as well.

news:o W$mpUSFFHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!