msconfig, taskmanager just pops up and dissapears when lau..

I have downloaded freeware and shareware utilities to tweak windows xp sp1a
home but after that I am having trouble to shutdown my pc and when msconfig
or taskmanager or cmd is launched it just pops up and dissapears, so now i
cannot go to recovery console for repairing. Your help will be much
appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about msconfig taskmanager pops dissapears

    Hi

    Run a virus scan on your system. Which program did you download and use?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Radha wrote:
    > I have downloaded freeware and shareware utilities to tweak windows xp sp1a
    > home but after that I am having trouble to shutdown my pc and when msconfig
    > or taskmanager or cmd is launched it just pops up and dissapears, so now i
    > cannot go to recovery console for repairing. Your help will be much
    > appreciated.

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
    Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
    definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
    on-line scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp