Help removing shares

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hello. I used Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and it pointed out that I
have shares set up for a few of my folders. (Windows XP Pro with SP2
installed)
So, I went to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>System
Tools>Shared Folders>Shares.
It says I have shares on ADMIN$, C$ and IPC$.

How do I remove these shares? When I doubleclick on the shares, nothing
happens. When I select the share and then go to Action on the toolbar, the
only options are Refresh and Help. Same thing with right clicking on the
share.

Where is the "disable" or "stop" option?

(I have logged in as both administrator and my regular login and both
produce the same results.

Any help appreciated.

John

Interestingly, MS says there should be a "Disable" option in the right-click
menu, but it's not present on my computer (XP Pro, SP2) either.
If you use the "Help" option in the r-click menu and look under "Shared
Folders" you'll see how to use Explorer to disable sharing a folder. You'll
also see why this may not be a good idea, depending on what you wish to
accomplish.

"John" wrote:

> Hello. I used Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and it pointed out that I
> have shares set up for a few of my folders. (Windows XP Pro with SP2
> installed)
> So, I went to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>System
> Tools>Shared Folders>Shares.
> It says I have shares on ADMIN$, C$ and IPC$.
>
> How do I remove these shares? When I doubleclick on the shares, nothing
> happens. When I select the share and then go to Action on the toolbar, the
> only options are Refresh and Help. Same thing with right clicking on the
> share.
>
> Where is the "disable" or "stop" option?
>
> (I have logged in as both administrator and my regular login and both
> produce the same results.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> John

Hi John,

If you have "simple file sharing" turned on, this is normal. It is disabled
under the advanced section on the view tab of Folder Options (WinXP Pro
only, this is not an option on a WinXP Home system).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone