How I go in changing my hard drive C

tavo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2005
I just purchased a new hard drive that has 160GB, if I remove my existing hard drive "C" and replace with the new one, how I will be able to resstart my computer, The mechanics on how to change drives I know, the question is how the computer will resstart. I have backup the entire drive "C" on an external drive. I need some help. I adition I do have a separate drive that I call drive "G", but the main drive is "C". Thank you :roll:

Is C: the OS drive?
If you repalce C: drive with the a Ghost image / new OS install drive, the new drive will take it's place.
If you were to reboot without replacing the drive, the OS will reorder your drives for you assigning the next drive letter up to drive C:.

p.S. you could have atleast pretended this post was about a PSU, or case mod... Why post it in this section if you want help.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Only put in your new drive & install windows on it. Then use the external drive or your old drive to copy your documents & such onto the new C.
Jo

sailer

Splendid
You'll probably first need to format the new drive. Then use a utility like Norton Ghost to make an exact image of your present C drive on the new drive. Take out the existing C drive and then use the new drive as your C drive. Should work. I've done that proceedure myself.

Ah I believe I understand the question.

You know how to put in the hard drive, but dont know what the computer will do or how to get windows back up.

1.) unplug all hard drives.
2.) Plug in your new hard drive and power on the comptuer
3.) put in your Windows XP disk and boot from your CDrom
4.) Windows will ask you to format the disk, do so, then begin the install of windows XP
5.) Once you get into windows, Plug in your old hard drives and copy all your backup files to your new HDD.
6.) Good to go.

G

Maybe he means that it's not the C drive booting anymore but the G drive.
That can be set in Bios if that's the case.

You might see by now that you're question wasn't clear....

G

Lol, I thought the picture was funny.

It's a wet kitten on a hard drive with broken ram piece around it. I saw it and went WTF! and put it as my avatar. Does it really look like a goat?

Why do you have a rotax engine?

I do have a rotor engine in my rx-8.

And your avatar looks like a anorexic goat on a scale weighing himself.... woried that his master wil come in and beat him sensless if he is too heavy.

Humm...nice avatar

G

Lol, I would probably change it to the picture you just describe if I found one!!!

How do you like your RX8, my dads friend had one, was in love, then had to bring it to the garage for all sort of stupid stuff, now he's pissed. I think it wa bad luck. I like that car, innovative technology, nice design ROTAX cue everywhere, sweet...

Another thread that went down the car path :sight:

I love it. A few cars from the beginning of the line had problems, which is to be expected with a brand new car design. It drives very well, and its unique. Wouldnt trade it for any other car (except a Lotus Esprit).

I just purchased a new hard drive that has 160GB, if I remove my existing hard drive "C" and replace with the new one, how I will be able to resstart my computer, The mechanics on how to change drives I know, the question is how the computer will resstart. I have backup the entire drive "C" on an external drive. I need some help. I adition I do have a separate drive that I call drive "G", but the main drive is "C". Thank you :roll:
Most new HD's come with a CD with software to copy the image of your boot HD onto your new HD.