Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Second Take: Super Sequels

Last response: in Site Feedback
Share
August 21, 2008 11:38:08 PM

Ben and Rob give their list of game sequels that exceed the quality of the originals.

Watch Video: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/videos/second_take_super_sequels.html

Did we get them right? Should we do another episode with more categories?

-Ben

More about : super sequels

August 22, 2008 2:28:52 AM

Where was Freespace 2? best sequal ever.
August 22, 2008 4:17:04 PM

So racing games don't make the list but fighting games do? I agree with most of the other 'rules', but that just doesn't make sense to me.

BTW, what is the chic shortening of "internet"?
Related resources
August 22, 2008 5:00:20 PM

Quote:
BTW, what is the chic shortening of "internet"?


Yes, Rob what is it? Huh? I'm sorry I'm so old fashioned.....
August 22, 2008 5:31:15 PM

Ellimist said:
Where was Freespace 2? best sequal ever.


Good call. We'll take that one under advisement for the next Super Sequel installment, since we still have some genres to explore like adction-adventure, platformer, and space sims.
August 22, 2008 6:09:56 PM

guys, can you tell me what kind of protection your video has?
because 90% of the times I try with firefox, the video will not load, with the new applet you guys use to show your video..
the video seems to load, and get to 100% ( in the lower bar ) but the icon of loading still keeps circling... AND the button of stop-pause-play is frozen..
that happens with IE7 as well.. :/ 
August 22, 2008 6:35:59 PM

"no sims" ... ha! I couldn't agree more.

Would've chosen TF2 instead of HL2, way more revolutionary in terms of new gameplay. The simplified class structure, nemesis notifications, kill/assist system, and graphic style make it one of the most innovative games I've played in an increasingly static genre.
August 22, 2008 7:28:03 PM

You scared me with the "Halo 3" gag... I was almost having to hate you. IMO no console FPS will win ANY competition against their PC counterparts until they start supporting decent control schemes (KB/Mouse). The console controller is CRIPPLING to those games.

Next time throw in the platform genre... there's some good fodder in there for consideration... Tomb Raider series, Crash Bandicoot, Mario and it's various decendents, Ratchet and Clank (my current favorite), etc...

And for the RTS genre you forgot Starcraft 2.... uhhh... oh wait... and wait... and wait... ;) 
August 22, 2008 7:29:30 PM

organix said:
"no sims" ... ha! I couldn't agree more.

Would've chosen TF2 instead of HL2, way more revolutionary in terms of new gameplay. The simplified class structure, nemesis notifications, kill/assist system, and graphic style make it one of the most innovative games I've played in an increasingly static genre.


Team based/multiplayer shoots will probably be a category for Super Sequels part 2 (get it? Super Sequels? Part 2? Ha!).

You'd be hard pressed to get me to vote for anything other than TF2, which has dominated my online multiplayer time for the last year. Love me some TF2.
August 22, 2008 7:37:19 PM

d_kuhn said:
You scared me with the "Halo 3" gag... I was almost having to hate you. IMO no console FPS will win ANY competition against their PC counterparts until they start supporting decent control schemes (KB/Mouse). The console controller is CRIPPLING to those games.

Next time throw in the platform genre... there's some good fodder in there for consideration... Tomb Raider series, Crash Bandicoot, Mario and it's various decendents, Ratchet and Clank (my current favorite), etc...

And for the RTS genre you forgot Starcraft 2.... uhhh... oh wait... and wait... and wait... ;) 


Yeah, the Halo 3 gag was Ben's idea. However, it did make the short list for shooters. Honestly, I think Halo 3 is prety damn good game -- even if it is a console title -- and is far and away the best of the series.

As for platformers, Super Mario 64 has to be up there. Which Ratchet & Clank is your favorite? I really loved Tools of Destruction -- except for the ending. :( 
August 22, 2008 7:46:21 PM

And oh yea... space combat... freespace 2 as mentioned earlier, X3:Reunion (awesome game that never got much press), Tie Fighter (a true sequel to X-Wing).
August 22, 2008 7:52:31 PM

robwright said:
Yeah, the Halo 3 gag was Ben's idea. However, it did make the short list for shooters. Honestly, I think Halo 3 is prety damn good game -- even if it is a console title -- and is far and away the best of the series.

As for platformers, Super Mario 64 has to be up there. Which Ratchet & Clank is your favorite? I really loved Tools of Destruction -- except for the ending. :( 


Tools of Destruction was the first time I can recall a game truly approaching the potential I see in gaming to provide a near "cinematic" experience. There were points where that game was brilliant... like watching a Dreamworks movie and getting to participate.

We just downloaded the new R&C episode and it looks to actually be an improvement on ToD. Though I'm only about half an hour into it, it looks like they've skewed gameplay even more to the story and character development angle... and so far it's working well.

Personally, I think ToD was the first "Must Have" title for the PS3 and is still one of their best exclusives (MGS is giving my boys some serious competition though).
August 22, 2008 9:30:03 PM

Mararthon 2, Journeyman Project 2, Ultima 4 or 5, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Riven, Neverwinter Nights 2, King's Quest III or VI. LucasArts has to have something in its adventure game collection too.
August 22, 2008 9:56:38 PM

tamalero said:
guys, can you tell me what kind of protection your video has?
because 90% of the times I try with firefox, the video will not load, with the new applet you guys use to show your video..
the video seems to load, and get to 100% ( in the lower bar ) but the icon of loading still keeps circling... AND the button of stop-pause-play is frozen..
that happens with IE7 as well.. :/ 


Two things that may help: First, if you have an ad-blocker on your browser, it may be restricting the file from loading on your browser. You may have to turn the blocker off to watch the video. Second, you might want to upgrade to the latest version of Flash Player. With IE7 especially, having an older version of Flash will keep some videos from loading properly.

Hope that helps,
Ben


August 22, 2008 10:59:14 PM

Pretty much nailed them all, especially Baldur's Gate II (although special mention to Morrowind over TeS: Daggerfall albeit there WAS a pretty big time/technological leap between them).

What I really want to know is...when did it become unfashionable to call it the 'net? Don't worry Ben, you're not the only one. Some of us still remember the days of BBS's and IRC with fondness.
August 23, 2008 5:39:59 AM

Pretty much every one of those games were what I considered best, or atleast one of the honourable mentions was. Having BG2 up there was pretty neat.

But what I was really appreciative of was that Warcraft III got some love. Everyone seems to have that game, and yet it's never talked about, I never see it on "Best of" lists (or even "Best RTS" lists), and people just don't seem to realise how good it is. Whenever I argue in favour of it, people always tell me Starcraft this and that, and WC3 really pummels that in terms of playability and variety, and a much deeper form of micro-management. Plus the hero system turns the genre on it's head in a hugely successful way. I can hardly play normal RTS games any more, where there's no incentive to go out of your base and engage combat until you think you have a bigger army than the other guy. It's also got all the necessary features of a modern RTS, of which Starcraft is sorely lacking.

Certainly seems this list is somewhat PC-slanted (no complaints here...). Is it Rob Wright that's the big PC guy, or are you/they both big on PC gaming? Seems Rob Wright does a lot of the talking and Ben Meier does more of the moderating.

Oh ya, and I would suggest another but you seem to have picked most of the major genres. Though you could go with like third-person shooter and/or tactical shooter, simulation, turn-based strategy, platformer, puzzle, adventure...Just not as interesting as all the big ones you covered in this one.
August 23, 2008 12:22:43 PM

robwright said:
Team based/multiplayer shoots will probably be a category for Super Sequels part 2 (get it? Super Sequels? Part 2? Ha!).

You'd be hard pressed to get me to vote for anything other than TF2, which has dominated my online multiplayer time for the last year. Love me some TF2.


Good.

August 23, 2008 7:03:31 PM

For 3D platformers, I'd go with Jak 3. First and second one on the series were okay, but the third one just nailed it.


Under what genre would Castlevania Symphony of the Night fall though? Somekind of platform rpg adventure hybrid thing?
August 26, 2008 12:11:52 AM

Halo 3? U surely takin the piss..if anything the original's a way better game than it..sure it had those stupid corridors with endless flood but man..the banshee's/the tanks/the ghosts/the scorpion..definitely a great game. Especially the cutscene where you and the enemy are at opposite ends of a bridge with a banshee in the middle? Do you run for it? Do you take a chance at shooting the enemy? what if you miss and he gets there first? Great scene. A memorable scene. 2 didn't have one and neither did 3.

Why not 3rd person? Max Payne 2 anyone? Although one is miles better I suppose.
September 1, 2008 12:53:09 AM

Freespace 2 !!! I still own it..still reload it...still play it. It still survives up against Freelancer etc. I miss space sims....

Castlevania Sym of the night...one of my fav games. I bought a ds for the castlevania games.

Quake 2...best of the series to me

September 1, 2008 12:54:24 AM

Escape from Monkey Island etc...awesome stuff. Why no sequel to Sanatarium !!! damn
September 5, 2008 7:14:32 PM

Was PC Adventure Genre even touched on? I mean on the PC side of things this is where it mostly began (if you dont consider Pong), whether it was Text based Adventure (I realize that would be hard to consider Zork 1 over Zork 2) or Early Graphic Adventure like King's Quest, Space Quest series. Anyway, for Rob being the PC game fan boy he is surprised it was not mentioned in either Super Sequels or Super Sequels the Sequel.
October 23, 2008 5:31:16 PM

I like your reasoning about not being able to include COD4 as a spin off, yet you do the very such thing by including Vice City..haha.

COD 4 is a spin off because it takes place in the future.. But Vice city is a sequel, when it takes place in the PAST with different characters? What? Me smells me some crazy.

!