About to pull trigger...speak now or forever hold your peace

Qeldroma

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Two things.....

1.) The new G80 is suppossed to launch tommorrow. I would say wait till tommorrow and just see what the market does. You'd regret buying that card to have it drop $50 tommorrow. Or some crazy marketing that they sell the G80 for the same price as the 7950GT.... Unlikely but you never know.

2.) I have never heard of supertalent ram. What made you choose that? Corsair has their dominator series DDR2 800 for $300 on the Egg right now.

Besides that, looks great.

sailer

Splendid
Hold off on the graphics card and get a G80. What is "Supertalent" ram? Never heard of it. Look for something from Corsair or OZC, you'll be happier.

I don't think you can run 2 Raid 0 arrays off the onboard raid controller. Onboard stuff may run good, but not that good. Of course, the question must be asked, why do you want to run 2 RAID 0 arrays?

karimkb

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
1. Yeah, but i think if the price drops i'll just call up newegg and have them adjust it
1a: G80...how much is that gonna cost...im not payin more than 300$ for a card.

2. I've been getting that response a lot about the RAM :p I came across it from a reviewer, and looked up the reviews online, in which every reviewer praised the ram. I don't think this ram was available in the US until now....

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
After a quick review - Your PS will need an extender. Go to the Newegg reviews and search for P180. You will see someone else who had that issue. I really like my PS from Fortron - see signature below.

I would also settle for either the 7600GT or 7900GT (or ATI 1900?) for less than $200. These will treat you well for the time being, give the G80 series time to settle down in price, and save you money in the long run.

It's your cash. Do what you will.

Cheers.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I have a set of 512mb dual channel sticks from Super Talent (PC3200 DDR) It overclocks like crazy and runs 2-2-2-4 timings at stock voltage. They use Samsung RAM chips on the sticks, I paid very little for it a few years ago and expected very little. I was pleasantly surprised!

karimkb

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
hmm..ok i understand what u guys r sayin about the video card...if i can get the 8800GTS for 400 i would buy it...but i know it'll prob be close to $500 for the GTS...and new technology, i dont wanna end up being a beta tester for the new 8800 series...so prob another 2-3 months user reviews are out....

Ok, so lets say i decide to wait and buy a 7900GS for the time being to hold me over....would my current Power Supply be adequate for the 8800 and all the other equipment i have there?
Avarice: Yea i read that review about the extender and it being a VERY tight fit in the p180 case, might look at another PSU, but i want it to be modular.

Also, will the 8800 be available for purchase tomorrow? From newegg? If so, i dont mind waiting till tomorrow to see the price...and it'll save me from havin an extra 7900gs just layin around or having to resell

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I would have to agree with the modular cable decision - it was the hardest thing about my build - I have these extra cables that I had to tuck away near the PS. Fortunately it does not block the airflow or look like crap - well - when the doors are closed that is.

I am a fan of FPS - but they are not modular and they are expensive. I believe that mine could handle a G80. Go for an under-rated 600W PS or to be sure - choose a 700W. You probably will not need anything more than 700W.

karimkb

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Yea, im gonna read up a little on power supplies and choose one by tonight.
As far as the Video card goes, i think im gonna go with the 7950...as i'll prob update to a g80 next yr when it'll actually be used/needed for games.

Another question: Would it be better (since raid 0 would have a greater chance of failure) if i bought the 150gb (or maybe the 74gb) Raptor for my main drive, and one of the seagates for my Storage drive?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Another question: Would it be better (since raid 0 would have a greater chance of failure) if i bought the 150gb (or maybe the 74gb) Raptor for my main drive, and one of the seagates for my Storage drive?

Thats my set up a 80 gig for storage and a 74 gig for performance.

Seraph95Zero

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Hey I like the build and yea, personally 1) I'd stick with a top end DX9 card for the reason that DX10 will be new and pricey, 2) but I would look into getting a different power supply, the Hyper is great dont get me wrong; but plan ahead for upgrades, look into some higher rated PSU, personally i chose a Thermaltake ToughPower and have been pleased. 3) I think that you need to drop the need for Raid 0... for most people it is actually pointless unless you plan on doing several large file transfers(gb size), the increase of it is little to none. Instead of Raid 0, I'd personally suggest getting a raptor for the OS, and main utils, and 1 for storage. This being that now each drive will not have to read multiple sectors when multi-tasking, copying, ect. I have 2 drives at the moment, one for os and games, another for storage, and i have it set so that my mem swap drive is my storage drive, works great.

Do some reading up, but I did my homework and chose what I thought about be the best solution for storage for me(not needing Raid 1).

Just my 2 cents...

~Seraph

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I know its quite a bit more money, but if you want a good quality modular PSU, I would go for the Seasonic M12. It comes in 500, 600, and 700w variants, it runs quietly, and it has gotten great reviews (even better than the S12).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+50001697+1297819680&Subcategory=58&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

I have an M12 and it is great. The modular cables are very handy and my old PSU didn't have a bottom 120mm intake or cable sleeving, so it is much better.

crashed97tsi

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
1. Yeah, but i think if the price drops i'll just call up newegg and have them adjust it
1a: G80...how much is that gonna cost...im not payin more than 300$ for a card.

2. I've been getting that response a lot about the RAM :p I came across it from a reviewer, and looked up the reviews online, in which every reviewer praised the ram. I don't think this ram was available in the US until now....

I have DDR 400 of supertalent. Picked it up from some russian dudes at a computer show. Honestly, it's nothing spectacular. It's stable, but its not fast by any means. If I had to rate it, it would be artound average to slightly below average. The best thing going for it was the price. (I got a gig of it for something like 47 dollars. Ah the good old days (last Year))

karimkb

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Alright, i took some of your suggestions and went with Corsair RAM, one 74GB Raptor and one 320gb Seagate (I changed my original post to show the difference)
Power supply, well, in the future when i upgrade to a 8800GTS...how much power would it need? I was reading online and said that atleast a 400W power supply for a single GTS card, so why would the 580 Hiper not be enough?
I was looking at other modular supplies, also since i've never really heard of Hiper, and came across this Corsair model (520W)
CORSAIR HX520w ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply - Retail
Also, the fortron looks good (although not modular), has 12V rails @ 15Amps...i dont exactly know what that means but for the video card im getting it says that "Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps.)"

I have 2 questions:
1. What exactly qualifies as a High Rated power supply?
2. The Video Card will be attached to a 40inch 1080p Sony LCD. But I also have a 19" LCD that i use for gaming, would I be able to attach both Displays to my video card and be able to choose which display i want active/primary?

I was going to buy it yesterday, but i believe i have a better setup now, especially hard drive wise, only thing holding me back is the PS. :p