Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Selecting A Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2006 2:44:30 PM

Hey everybody. I'm a longtime system builder with very little experience in the GPU department. My main system is still using integrated graphics. I'd like to have the ability to display Aero in all its glory when Vista rolls out. Also, I haven't really been too pleased with DVD and DivX video output. As far as gaming goes, I'm not going to lie to you, I really don't use my PC for gaming. I'm sure that will make me an outcast. :D 

Here's the setup:
AMD Athlon64 3500+
Gigabyte K8N51PVM9-RH w/ integrated GeForce 6150B
1GB (2 x 512MB) Corsair ValuSelct PC3200
WD Raptor 36.7GB SATA 1.5
WD Caviar 200GB SATA 1.5
Ultra X-2 550W PSU

Here are the options that I was considering:
PowerCooler Radeon X800GTO 256MB ~$87
eVGA GeForce 7300GT 256MB ~$86
eVGA GeForce 7600GS 256MB ~$106
eVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB ~$130

My question is, will I really see much of a benefit from stepping up $45 for my purposes? If I were gaming, I could see the benefit, but then again, probably wouldn't even be in this price range. Since the mobo is nForce 430, would a GeForce card integrate more seamlessly into this system? Or would the X800GTO be a decent choice. I don't want to set off an ATI vs. nVidia war here. I'm just looking for the best card for my needs. What would you buy. Anything missing from my list that's a no brainer? Thanks for your time, guys. I'm posting this message elsewhere, but I'm guessing my best feedback will come from right here.
November 7, 2006 2:53:22 PM

The x800GTO sounds like the best pick. Even if you do some light gaming once in a while, the x800GTO will defintely give yoiu want you want. Also, will run vista peachy. Would recommend another gig of ram though.
!