Help! Can't boot after adding graphics card! PC just beeps!

Shawcroft

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
I've just bought a graphics card second hand (eBay) but found that it won't boot when i plug it in. It's not faulty, but there is one problem... the power extension cable is missing.

I've researched this card (Gecube Radeon x700) and found that it doesn't use the full 50W of the AGP slot, so why won't it boot without the external power?

Could it be something else causing the problem?

If it is the cable that is required, where can i purchase one from? It's 4-pin but not a normal molex. It resembles a fan connection on the m/b but is 4-pin and larger.

Please help!

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
www.ebay.com
i'm pretty sure it has an external connector for a reason...
btw, if you bought it from ebay how do you know its not faulty?

Shawcroft

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
As i said before, it is NOT a plain molex connection, else i wouldn't be having problems. Does anyone know what type of connection this is and where i could get a converter (from molex). As requested, here are some pics (hopefully!):

img12771pf8.jpg

img12761ll5.jpg

Shawcroft

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
So does anyone know what connection this is and where i could get a molex-to-this converter? Any help would be awesome

irishbloke

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Use a floppy power connector. My 9800 Pro has the same connector.
If you don't have an extra one you can get a molex splitter to 2 floppy power connectors or this:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?ProductID=324

Ah i knew that connector looked familar..ive never seen that used on or heard of that used on graphics card before.

Shawcroft

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
THANK YOU! You guys are AMAZING!!!! :D :trophy:

The connector from my floppy drive just made it to the graphics card and now it boots without a problem! Just gotta get the drivers on now and i'll see if i can run Company of Heroes at least on low settings! :D