Sign in with
Your question

6 Years and time for a rebuild!

Last response: in Systems
November 7, 2006 3:52:23 PM

I am sitting here just registered on my p3 800mhz / 256mb/ tnt2 pc, yes an rebuild was needed and the time has come!

I followed for years what would fit with what and compatability, now its the first time im introduced to the new 1xxx ati series and 7xxx nvidia series, espeically SM4.

First of all I have a buget of 10000kuna, which is roughly 1400 euro.

I am totally confused when it comes to matching all new hardware around here,

Here are some basic ideas for the new pc

19inch LCD Asus monitor
x1950 ati video card ( need help choosing model + fan )
which motherboard ? :roll:
2gb of ram, totally lost in this too...
preferably an amd processor ( 64bit time or no ? )
dvd-writer wont matter much so not in discussion atm
and of course im considering a big tower for cooling and sparkly lights :twisted:

I would really appreciate someone helping with best config of a new pc, as i said 1400euro budget 8)

Oh and it is meant to be a gamer pc!

All help is appreciated :) 

More about : years time rebuild

November 7, 2006 4:14:09 PM

Scrap the AMD plan and go Intel Core 2 Duo

Get:

Intel E6400
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (look for corsair, ocz with preferably 4-4-4-12 timings)
Abit AB9 or Gigabyte DS3 motherboard (good overclockers)
ATI X1950 Pro, just look to see who offers longest gurantee etc...

what about HDD ? PSU ?
November 7, 2006 4:18:17 PM

Quote:
Scrap the AMD plan and go Intel Core 2 Duo

Get:

Intel E6400
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM (look for corsair, ocz with preferably 4-4-4-12 timings)
Abit AB9 or Gigabyte DS3 motherboard (good overclockers)
ATI X1950 Pro, just look to see who offers longest gurantee etc...

what about HDD ? PSU ?

These are the ones i missed, probably a baracuda 200gb drive at 7200rpm, power supply unit, how much will I need ? As I said I haven't been following the market for sometime. So its definately intel to go for atm is it ? Btw the 4-4-4-12 settings lost me completely, OCZ i heard is preferred atm, and of course overclocking. I have NEVER done it to any component, should it be done to my mean lean monster fps machine ?

:twisted: Thanks for the fast reply, all info is greatly appreciated!

EDIT : why the E6400, this has only around 2.5ghz power ? Am i meant to overclock this baby or what ? :roll:
Related resources
November 7, 2006 4:33:24 PM

you can if you want but i heard the Intel core 2 duo doesnt count on hertz like the used to. also i hear they overclock like mad.
November 7, 2006 5:01:04 PM

If you want SM4.0 support you'll need a DX10 card... meaning an 8800GTX or GTS. The X1950 only supports SM3. Beware that those cards are gonna be helluva expensive... so you may in fact want to drop the C2D, get an Athlon X2 3800+ w/ Zalman cooler and overclock it to FX speeds. It will beat an E6300 and E6400 (at stock speeds of course... overclock the C2D's and it's another story). Or if you can get one really cheap, buy an E6300.
November 7, 2006 5:56:21 PM

I would go with the C2D E6400. Performance wise, the Athlon 64 3800+ is nothing compared to the E6400. Just look at a few of the benchmarks on the CPU charts on this site. The C2D beats the 3800 by a wide margin in pretty much everything. The 3800 is about $100 cheaper though. Video card wise, if you want a SM 4.0 card, you're going to need an 8800 GTX. Be sure to get a good quality high wattage PS to provide it with power. I believe there is a nforce 650 chipset for Intel coming out at the same time as the 8800, so you may want to look into that. AFAIK the 8800 and nforce 650 are both coming out this month.
November 7, 2006 8:40:33 PM

Thanks for the many replies and tips, however a card like the 8800 GTX is too expensive for me at the moment, Prices around Croatia are expensive

DUO E6300 = 200euro

*** E6600 = 350 euro

and the 6700 at 500 euro

funny fact they dont even sell E6400s in no shop around here.

Should i be looking at SM 4 cards ?

Just a note, I will not overclock the cpu, i have no past experience in it. So please recommend me a competitive one without me needing to o/c it.

I have heard the 8800 GTX is heavy on the cpu req, so iffy there too...

:? Im quite confused atm honestly.
November 7, 2006 9:13:22 PM

The E6300 requires NO overclocking to be a great CPU. Paired with a Powercolor X1950Pro. You would have a great gaming machine! Don't worry about SM4.0 cards, the X1950Pro will last you long enough for the next generation to come out, judging that you don't mind keeping hardware around awhile (PIII 800mhz...)
November 7, 2006 9:58:24 PM

Ok an update here, I found a E6400 for reasonable price, heres the list so far. The bugdet has been surpassed and im missing PSU + Housing :evil: 

INTEL Core 2 Duo Procesor E6400 2,13 GHz 2M 1066MHz LGA775
( ABIT ) ========= €256

LCD SONY 19 SDM-S95A 19 1280x1024 C700:1 250 cd/m? RT 8 ms H 17
€277

EAX1950PRO/HTDP/256M, ATI Radeon X1950PRO, PCI-Ex16, 256MB DDR3

€227

DVD RW PLEXTOR PX-760A/T3 BEIGE RETAIL + CRNA MASKA WRITE:D VD+R ====== €102

HDD Desktop SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.10 with NCQ 250GB 7200rpm 16M
€81

MBO ABIT, s. 775, AB9 Pro, iP965, BUS 1066 MHz, serial ATA II,
RAID, 7.1 zvuk, DDR 2, 2x 1Gbps, FireWire, ATX 2
€175

RAM PC-6400, 2048MB, DDR2, CRUCIAL, KIT, Ballistix, 800 MHz, 2x1024MB

€380 ( looking to lower that bigtime if possible! )

Tell me what you guys think so far, will it work ? and how well ?

:p 
November 7, 2006 10:10:13 PM

The LCD price is a bit on the high side... no? I would have thought you could grab one for less than 200 euros.

RAM is absolutely through the roof... look elsewhere. 2GB of the best shouldn't be more than 200 euros.

DVD-RW really shouldn't be more than 50 euros... they run for $40 here.

MB is also highly priced... u should find a good one for around 130 euros.

I realize that I'm not being much help here, but these prices are like extortion. I know that you're from Croatia, but come on. There's GOTTA be better deals out there. You can easily shave off 300+ euros off this build.
November 7, 2006 10:12:14 PM

well, the memory itself is the most expensive item, and it wont have nearly the performance impact on gaming that a high end gpu will, the same with the cpu TBH... because once you reach high enough resolutions and detail, the vast majority of processing will be limited by the gpu anyhow...

so i would say first and foremost, to reduce the memory investment to a less expensive brand... and you will still be about on par for performance with the memory you chose out too (again, because youre relying mostly on the gpu for gaming performance)... ...memory amount matters more than memory speed, because once your system runs out of available memory, it starts relying on the hdd as virtual memory... which slows things down by a great deal, because of how slow the hdd is compared to everything else... so, a less expensive brand of memory is the best thing you can do there, still staying at at least 2GB is a good idea to do either way though.
November 7, 2006 10:30:00 PM

Quote:
well, the memory itself is the most expensive item, and it wont have nearly the performance impact on gaming that a high end gpu will, the same with the cpu TBH... because once you reach high enough resolutions and detail, the vast majority of processing will be limited by the gpu anyhow...

so i would say first and foremost, to reduce the memory investment to a less expensive brand... and you will still be about on par for performance with the memory you chose out too (again, because youre relying mostly on the gpu for gaming performance)... ...memory amount matters more than memory speed, because once your system runs out of available memory, it starts relying on the hdd as virtual memory... which slows things down by a great deal, because of how slow the hdd is compared to everything else... so, a less expensive brand of memory is the best thing you can do there, still staying at at least 2GB is a good idea to do either way though.

Looks like im off to Austria to pick up my parts, seem to have found lots of savings on ever single item i listed.

OCZ DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit (OCZ2P800R22GK, XTC Platinum) 283 euro
Asus MB19SE (DVI-D, Sound, Silber/Grau) 232 euro
Plextor PX-760SA 118 euro
GeCube Radeon X1950 PRO (Retail, TV-Out, 2x DVI) 248 euro
Abit AB9 Pro (Sound, 2x Gigabit-LAN, SATAII RAID) 155 euro
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6400 (Boxed, FC-LGA4, "Allendale") 232 euro

how do the models and prices sound now ?

Sound card and housing ill buy here, hmm any more suggestions to this setup ? Does it all sound deliscious ? :twisted:

Thank you for your replies everyone!
November 7, 2006 10:40:23 PM

still getting this, right?:

HDD Desktop SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.10 with NCQ 250GB 7200rpm 16M
€81

it looks good so far to me :) 

as far as a sound card, its not a necessity for performance, especially since the motherboard already comes with integrated sound... but, if you have the money to spare, an x-fi might be a good card to look into

also, you didnt mention anything about speakers either, so, im assuming you have some already, or are going to pick some up later on... as far as speakers, if youre looking, and have money to spare (again), a 5.1 set is a good place to start

in all honesty though (IMO)... speakers should probably be a whole seperate investment... because decent speakers by themselves can be somewhat expensive
November 7, 2006 11:09:37 PM

Quote:

100euro price on the DVD-RW is way too high. Unless you use your optical drive a lot (most people don't) almost anything will do. Find a cheap one. You should be able to buy one, break it, buy another one and still save money over that price.

Looks like a good choice for CPU, RAM, and GFX so far but if you want to significantly lower the price you may want to consider an AMD socket AM2 setup. The CPU performace will be a lot lower but the gaming performance will only be a little less. You could also consider buying only 1gb of ram now, and 1gb later. The prices should drop at least a little within 1.5-4months and 2gb isn't really necessary right now anyway. Is that two motherboards in your list? *confused* the Abit AB9 is a popular choice.
November 8, 2006 7:31:38 AM

Quote:

100euro price on the DVD-RW is way too high. Unless you use your optical drive a lot (most people don't) almost anything will do. Find a cheap one. You should be able to buy one, break it, buy another one and still save money over that price.

Looks like a good choice for CPU, RAM, and GFX so far but if you want to significantly lower the price you may want to consider an AMD socket AM2 setup. The CPU performace will be a lot lower but the gaming performance will only be a little less. You could also consider buying only 1gb of ram now, and 1gb later. The prices should drop at least a little within 1.5-4months and 2gb isn't really necessary right now anyway. Is that two motherboards in your list? *confused* the Abit AB9 is a popular choice.

You know what, your very right on the cd-rom, i presumed a good plextor because I did alot of 1:1 copies with liteon safedisc/securerom protection back when everything came on cds, i guess just making an image from my dvds makes so much more since HDD are quite cheap, ill check later to see how cheap dvd-r drives can really get :D 

they aren't two mobo's, the Asus MB19SE is an LCD 19inch 1:700 monitor, oh and how much diff will it make if I get the HDD Desktop SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.10 with NCQ 250GB 7200rpm 16M but with NL35 over NCQ model ?

Im not going to bother with a sound card at all since we have a home theatre system with nice amp/ mission front and rear B&W speakers, plus yamaha centre. All music listening is done there :wink:

Will it be safe to o/c the C2D with the boxed fan ?

edit : typos
November 8, 2006 7:47:42 AM

yep, the C2D overclocks very well... stock for an e6400 is 2.13GHz, i believe... on stock cooling and voltages, you *should* be able to exceed 3GHz, so, youre okay on that front

very good for the sound setup ill add :) ... because if you were going to consider purchasing a sound setup, i was going to advice against computer speakers anyhow, lol

HT all the way :D 

what you could do even, if your amp offers optical inputs, is purchase an optical toslink cable long enough to reach from the optical output on the motherboard to your amp... that way you can get your computers sound from your HT... ...wouldnt cost anything except for the price of the cable itself... if your amp however doesnt offer any optical/coaxial connections, you could always go the analog route as well
November 8, 2006 8:14:34 AM

Quote:
yep, the C2D overclocks very well... stock for an e6400 is 2.13GHz, i believe... on stock cooling and voltages, you *should* be able to exceed 3GHz, so, youre okay on that front

very good for the sound setup ill add :) ... because if you were going to consider purchasing a sound setup, i was going to advice against computer speakers anyhow, lol

HT all the way :D 

what you could do even, if your amp offers optical inputs, is purchase an optical toslink cable long enough to reach from the optical output on the motherboard to your amp... that way you can get your computers sound from your HT... ...wouldnt cost anything except for the price of the cable itself... if your amp however doesnt offer any optical/coaxial connections, you could always go the analog route as well

The pc will be upstairs, unfortunately the HT is downstairs on the other side. No biggie though :) 

So we still need a PSU + Housing, and the budget is 170euro left so :) 
No doubt id like to go with a big tower, sticking 2-3 extra cooling fans through the vents.

and so far I am liking the Thermaltake Armor (Schwarz, Stahl, 25cm Lüfter)

this baby http://www.alternate.at/html/product/details.html?artno...

:twisted:

edit: the ab9 pro is ATX while the tower is for an Extended ATX mobo, it will still fit right ?
November 8, 2006 8:44:36 AM

Armor is a good case, excellent choice, and yes that motherboard will fit in there.

As for a power supply look for something around 500w if your not going to upgrade to the G80 anytime soon, only go for branded PSUs such as OCZ, Antec, Akasa, Tagan, Enermax, FSP etc. Go for a PSU that has dual 12v rails and at least 18a on both of them, just look at the PSUs spec sheet to see if it has those requirememnts.

I reccomend a Hiper Type R 580w PSU, I have one and it's pretty quiet and runs my setup (AMD 3500 OC'ed, 1GB RAM, X800XT OC'ed, 2 HDDs and 2 Optical Drives) fine
November 8, 2006 9:03:49 AM

Quote:
Armor is a good case, excellent choice, and yes that motherboard will fit in there.

As for a power supply look for something around 500w if your not going to upgrade to the G80 anytime soon, only go for branded PSUs such as OCZ, Antec, Akasa, Tagan, Enermax, FSP etc. Go for a PSU that has dual 12v rails and at least 18a on both of them, just look at the PSUs spec sheet to see if it has those requirememnts.

I reccomend a Hiper Type R 580w PSU, I have one and it's pretty quiet and runs my setup (AMD 3500 OC'ed, 1GB RAM, X800XT OC'ed, 2 HDDs and 2 Optical Drives) fine

OCZ ModStream 520W (260 Watt Combined, 1x PCIe) sounds good enough :p 

20 Watt (Combined Power 260 Watt)

Eingangsspannung

230V, 50Hz, 6 A
60Hz
200-240 Volt

Mainboardanschlüsse

1 x ATX (20-polig)
1 x ATX 2.0 (24-polig)
1 x ATX12V (4-polig)

Stromanschlüsse

6 x 5,25 Zoll
1 x 3,5 Zoll
2 x Serial-ATA
1 x PCIe

Stromstärken

+3,3V 28 A
+5Vsb 2,5 A
+5V 52 A
-5V 0,8 A
+12V 28 A
-12V 1 A
does that seem ok ? Confused again :oops: 
November 8, 2006 9:20:18 AM

Quote:

OCZ ModStream 520W (260 Watt Combined, 1x PCIe) sounds good enough :p 

20 Watt (Combined Power 260 Watt)

Eingangsspannung

230V, 50Hz, 6 A
60Hz
200-240 Volt

Mainboardanschlüsse

1 x ATX (20-polig)
1 x ATX 2.0 (24-polig)
1 x ATX12V (4-polig)

Stromanschlüsse

6 x 5,25 Zoll
1 x 3,5 Zoll
2 x Serial-ATA
1 x PCIe

Stromstärken

+3,3V 28 A
+5Vsb 2,5 A
+5V 52 A
-5V 0,8 A
+12V 28 A
-12V 1 A
does that seem ok ? Confused again :oops: 

Yup that looks fine, good brand and 28a on the 12v rail. Just google it for some reviews etc before you buy.

EDIT: tbh i don't know that much about PSUs apart from which brands are good. You also want high amps on the 12v rails as it's the one that powers the graphics card, if you don't have enough amps it won't provide enough power when your GPU is under load so will crash the system and possibly damage it.
November 8, 2006 9:46:51 AM

Ok so here is the final specs of the pc being purchased next week :

OCZ DIMM 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit (OCZ2P800R22GK, XTC Platinum) 283
Asus MB19SE (DVI-D, Sound, Silber/Grau) 232
GeCube Radeon X1950 PRO (Retail, TV-Out, 2x DVI) 248
Abit AB9 Pro (Sound, 2x Gigabit-LAN, SATAII RAID) 155
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6400 (Boxed, FC-LGA4, "Allendale") 232
Thermaltake Armor (Silber, Aluminium, inkl. Window Kit) 155
OCZ ModStream 520W (260 Watt Combined, 1x PCIe) 87
Seagate ST3250620AS (Barracuda 7200.10) 82

Total 1474

HRK 7.34 = 1 euro

Total HRK 10819.16

( budget of 10000, but whats 800 more ey ;)  )

Both the case and psu have good reviews 8)
November 8, 2006 10:02:35 AM

Looks v good, wish i had enough money to upgrade to core 2 duo but gotta stick with my OCed AMD 3200 for now :( 

Good luck building it etc and just post if you need help :) 

BTW I said the E6400 as it has a higher multiplier than the E6300 so should overclock more easily.
November 8, 2006 11:04:37 AM

That psu doesn't have dual +12V rails! Also, you didn't list an operating system. Do you already have a copy of that?
November 8, 2006 4:09:45 PM

Quote:
That psu doesn't have dual +12V rails! Also, you didn't list an operating system. Do you already have a copy of that?

Do I need dual 12V rails, and what for ? :)  Ill be using a copy of win XP pro, no worries there. Let's get the PSU fixed up the shall we ;) 
November 8, 2006 5:52:21 PM

Quote:
I have a buget of 10000kuna, which is roughly 1400 euro.

OK, I'm afraid I had to convert that to dollars for me to relate to how much money that is. According to google, 10,000 kuna or 1,400 euro are at least $1,700 (today). (And, yes, FWIW I always believe everything google tells me. After all, lying is evil and google tries real hard to not do evil. It says so right in their corp guidelines!)

From where I sit that's one hell of a lot of money! You could get one hell of a system with that much money! Yet, you've lived "happily" :?: with an 800MHz 256MB Pentium 3 all these years? This seems to imply you don't really need one hell of a computer.

Looking back it wasn't clear to me just what you want to do with the new system you get. That's something which is important to think about before you get it. Just because you can throw a lot money into a new system doesn't mean you must do that. You can do other stuff with any money you "save" that might be more fun for you.

So what do you want to do with your computer? (Are games the only activity it will be used for or will there be other stuff?) Also, are you looking to buy everything new or are you going to carry anything forward from your existing system?

In some ways this is not the best moment to buy new PC components. There are new motherboards and a new graphics card "standard" coming out relatively soon. Also, DDR2 memory is very expensive now compared to what it's been in the past. OTOH, there is always something better coming around the corner. Viewed from that perspective, now may be as good a time as any to buy.

It all depends on what you want and where you think you might go in the (near) future. It can really help to sit back and think about that for a day or three. :wink:

-john
November 8, 2006 7:14:21 PM

Quote:
I have a buget of 10000kuna, which is roughly 1400 euro.

OK, I'm afraid I had to convert that to dollars for me to relate to how much money that is. According to google, 10,000 kuna or 1,400 euro are at least $1,700 (today). (And, yes, FWIW I always believe everything google tells me. After all, lying is evil and google tries real hard to not do evil. It says so right in their corp guidelines!)

From where I sit that's one hell of a lot of money! You could get one hell of a system with that much money! Yet, you've lived "happily" :?: with an 800MHz 256MB Pentium 3 all these years? This seems to imply you don't really need one hell of a computer.

Looking back it wasn't clear to me just what you want to do with the new system you get. That's something which is important to think about before you get it. Just because you can throw a lot money into a new system doesn't mean you must do that. You can do other stuff with any money you "save" that might be more fun for you.

So what do you want to do with your computer? (Are games the only activity it will be used for or will there be other stuff?) Also, are you looking to buy everything new or are you going to carry anything forward from your existing system?

In some ways this is not the best moment to buy new PC components. There are new motherboards and a new graphics card "standard" coming out relatively soon. Also, DDR2 memory is very expensive now compared to what it's been in the past. OTOH, there is always something better coming around the corner. Viewed from that perspective, now may be as good a time as any to buy.

It all depends on what you want and where you think you might go in the (near) future. It can really help to sit back and think about that for a day or three. :wink:

-john

Hello John and thanks for the reply, I have noticed how DDR2 memory is quite expensive at the moment, I haven't upgraded the p3 because I didn't have the money. Now I do and I want to build a beast that will last me sometime into the future, you could call it a 100% gaming machine. I have been saving for a while and that is my budget now. See the problem in Croatia is that, firstly wages are low, computer shops dont stock the good stuff we know about, pc packages are a complete rip off. And ill have to get a few parts by driving to Austria ( Graz ) mobo here and OCZ ram/psu online order. Even if a store does have what I need, hell the prices are at least 30+ euro greater, not to mention the wait.

I know dx10 cards are just around the corner, but they will be expensive and dx10 still needs developing. So theres plenty of time for low budget speedy dx10 cards to come out. It's always wise to wait, though the new "standard" will my budget be able to afford it ?

It is quite a pain getting almost every other part from somewhere else, especially ordering the OCZ ram then the post office will force a 22% tax on it. This is exactly the reason why im going to Austria for the parts, #1 it is cheaper, and #2 I will receive a tax refund :D  of around 12-20%

It's quite annoying loading up firefox everyday, and most flashy webistes lagging, not to mention not playing any games that came out since 2001, system wont handle it.

Looking forward to your reply ;) 
November 8, 2006 8:29:08 PM

I'm afraid I don't have much useful to say in response. Unfortunately, that never seems to shut me up ... :oops: 

Quote:
... I want to build a beast that will last me sometime into the future, you could call it a 100% gaming machine. ... And ill have to get a few parts by driving to Austria ( Graz ) mobo here and OCZ ram/psu online order.

Sounds like you want to go with the higher end components, but your situation will also somewhat force you to "wait" and thus think about what you want as you go. I'm sure that must be frustrating for you, but it's also not a totally bad thing.

Quote:
I know dx10 cards are just around the corner, but they will be expensive and dx10 still needs developing.

Yes. What I was actually thinking was that when DX10 comes out it might also have an effect on the cost and availability of the current round of video cards. It looks like you have enough money to go with the most expensive stuff out there. Another possible DX10 related thing to ponder is if you want to do that or do you want to go with "adequate for your immediate purposes" and hold back cash to upgrade again in 6 months, a year, whenever?

Quote:
It is quite a pain getting almost every other part from somewhere else, ...

Personally, my nightmare if I was in that situation would be not being able to assemble the system and test it to verify the stuff I got was working. If returning a defective part is not going to be easy for you and you're buying from a store, maybe you can get them to hook up and test what you buy while you watch? :?

Quote:
It's quite annoying loading up firefox everyday, and most flashy webistes lagging, not to mention not playing any games that came out since 2001, system wont handle it.

Tell me about it! :cry:  My system is a dual socket motherboard with two Pentium 3 800's and 512MB of RAM. I want more memory and more memory bandwidth so bad I can almost taste it! I'm trying to fit a new Core 2 Duo CPU, motherboard, DDR2, and video card into my budget.

My budget is tad bit less than yours though. :wink: I'd prefer to spend only $400 which is, what?, about 2,300 kuna? And that's just not going to happen. Prices either have to drop or I have to spend more. :cry: 

-john
November 9, 2006 6:53:44 AM

Ok people, there will be a few changes and im hoping it wont affect performance :p  we are cutting the budget by 2800 and our problem is solved by me using my old 17inch crt until I decide upon a tft and ram will be cut down to 1 gb, do not fear! the 2nd gig will be coming in a month or two :D 

Will the overall performance be affected in the end by using 4x 512mb ram ? DIMM 1 GB DDR2-800 Kit OCZ2G8001GK, XTC Gold

and once again, will I need dual 12v rails or will this suffice ? 520 W ATX 2, OCZ, PowerStream OCZ520ADJ

So the final specs are : :twisted:

1GB DDR2-6400 (2x modules 512mb ) OCZ2G8001GK, XTC Gold
Intel® Core 2 Duo E6400
ABIT AB9pro mobo
Midi THERMALTAKE Armor/Window, ATX/BTX opt., silber
GECUBE Radeon X1950Pro HDCP Edition, 512MB
SATA II Seagate Barracuda, 7200.10, 250GB, 16MB Cache
and the PSU which is currently being talked about doesnt have dual 12v rails, 520 W ATX 2, OCZ, PowerStream OCZ520ADJ
or
SILVERSTONE, Strider ST56NF
1x 24/20-pin motherboard connector (550mm)
1x 8-pin ATX12V connector (550mm)
1x 4-pin ATX12V connector (550mm)
2x 6-pin PCI-E (550mm)
2x dual SATA power connectors (500mm + 250mm)
6x 4-pin IDE power connector (500mm + 250mm + 150mm)
2x 4-pin floppy power connector

Maybe it would be wiser if a PSU was recommended that would fit the system. 100euro I guess :?
November 9, 2006 11:30:02 AM

Just get the cheapest brand name PSu, with at least 18a on at least 2 12v rails. e.g.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

or the Tagan 480w listed on the same page

But yeah that Silverstone looks fine, 2 12v rails with 18a max each and 560w. You could get the PSU I have though, Hiper Type R, 580w, 2 12v rails with 18a on one and 20a on the other and it's modular :) 

Also if you are upgrading to 2GB soon i really would stick with a 1x1024mb RAM module. 4x512 will make it hard to overclock (which you should do otherwise that motherboard is a slight waste of money - you could get a suitable one a tad cheaper)
!