Sign in with
Your question

ASUS VENTO or Thermaltake ARMOR which one???

Last response: in Components
November 7, 2006 4:02:26 PM

hello guys need help to pick one ...considering style, design, performance...everything..

ASUS VENTO 3600 BLK Black 0.8mm SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811173008
or

Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA Silver/Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133155

plz recommend me...
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2006 4:17:50 PM

Id take the Armor, dont like the Vento, worked with one once, no a bad case, but focus is really on looks...

Id pick this...
Related resources
November 7, 2006 4:49:11 PM

I would def. get the Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA Silver/Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case. It has a lot more internal room and expansion slots available. And alot better air flow to cool the case. I agree with labbby the Vento focus is on the looks of the case.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2006 4:49:53 PM

If money is not a problem that case looks wicked!!!

Then you can look at TJ07

And the TJ09, not in stock at newegg yet!

Also stacker 830 would be better then Armor IMO.
November 7, 2006 5:24:46 PM

thanks buddy but I have to limit the choice among them I mean ..ASUS Vento, TT Armor,TT Tai-Chi.. because of availability.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2006 5:49:25 PM

Then get the Tai chi or armor
Review of the Tai Chi

Link
November 7, 2006 5:57:13 PM

Asus makes PC cases?? Anyways, I vote for the Thermaltake (unless you are open to other suggestions).
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2006 6:15:22 PM

The vento is their only model as far as I know, introduced ~18month ago
November 7, 2006 6:28:25 PM

I've seen the Vento, its huge, doesn't have many bays, and I dun really like it, felt kind of cheap will all the plastic...

Get the Armor...
November 7, 2006 6:30:04 PM

After they found out they created the ugliest case available, they felt no need to try and one up the ugliness of their only model.
November 7, 2006 6:36:03 PM

Well, not a good start for their case business anyways. I didn't even look at the specs because it is UGLY! What is the point in the sides bulging out like that? From newegg's pics it doesn't appear to be functional at all.
November 7, 2006 6:43:21 PM

definitely TT Armor but get this one w/ 25CM Fan Side Panel
November 7, 2006 7:21:38 PM

Yeah, I totally agree and pick the Armor. It's one of the best case you can buy and looks cool too. I know I got one. The Vento looks like a cheat plastic case.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 7, 2006 7:41:19 PM

All that plastic IS cheap and flimsy....wanabe alienware or something
November 7, 2006 8:07:25 PM

Who would want to be alienware? Their cases are ugly (plus, they == dell).
November 7, 2006 8:08:54 PM

Exactly, that what people would think when looking at the Vento. Asus should focus on the graphics card and motherboard not cases.

My favorite case makers are Thermaltake, Lian Li and CoolerMaster.
November 7, 2006 8:13:13 PM

I still love Antec cases. They aren't as flashy as most and are of great build quality, plus if they come with a PSU, its usually half decent.
November 7, 2006 8:23:15 PM

have u looked on the Thermaltake VE2000BWS Armor LCS Full with water cooling? anyone know anything about it? l00ks damn neat
November 7, 2006 8:25:50 PM

Thermaltake Armor...

Make sure you get the Silver one because it is made out of Aluminum. The black one is made out of steel and is rediculously heavy.

However....I would recommend this case over every single case on the market right now but you'll have to wait for them to come in stock again because they are selling like hotcakes!
November 7, 2006 8:42:35 PM

I agree that the Silverstone TJ09 is a great case, but it has a few problems:

1) Its really big, which for some is good, others not so much (to big for my comp room),

2) Its expensive, but then again, you get what you pay for,

4) Its kinda ugly. Yes its simple (and I like simple), but its a little TOO simple. Its just a box with some squares cut out of it.

Other than that, it is technically speaking a great case.
November 7, 2006 8:49:27 PM

Quote:
I agree that the Silverstone TJ09 is a great case, but it has a few problems:

1) Its really big, which for some is good, others not so much (to big for my comp room),

2) Its expensive, but then again, you get what you pay for,

4) Its kinda ugly. Yes its simple (and I like simple), but its a little TOO simple. Its just a box with some squares cut out of it.

Other than that, it is technically speaking a great case.

It basically says "IM A MAN" instead of "im a wee little boy looking childish curves and silly looking windows"

Thats the whole idea....also Silverstone makes some of the finest cases available alongside Lan-Li (I like Silverstone more that Lan-li imo). Over the past few years Silverstone cases have been chosen for almost every single dream machine ever built just because of sheer quality, look, feel, and performance.

There is a reason why the price is where it's at, because your paying for the best of the best.
November 7, 2006 9:01:35 PM

I like some of the suggestions being made, like the silverstone and armor cases.

If I could add, maybe take a look at some of the coolermaster stacker cases. I personally really like the 830, but the 810 and the original stacker are great if you're looking for lots of room and good cooling. just a thought...

Should also take a look at the Lian-Li offerings, the full sized V series looks pretty good.

Just my $0.02
November 7, 2006 10:14:29 PM

Quote:

It basically says "IM A MAN" instead of "im a wee little boy looking childish curves and silly looking windows"

Nice. I guess that's true. So its a "real man's" case then. Like a mustang (poor quality aside) is a real man's car. That's fine, I'll still choose a Ferrari or even a TVR or Aston Martin.

I don't need childish curves, I just think the TJ09 is boring. I like plain cases like the Antec P180 and I love a lot of Lian-Li's cases. The TJ09 is utilitarian (which is good), but you can make a utilitarian case that still looks good without anything flamboyant (see Lian-Li).

I can understand users who just want a case that will perform well and doesn't look like a disco-infused epileptic law suit. For people who want a case to sit under their desk and not draw any attention (good or bad), the TJ09 is the case for you. But that has nothing to do with it being a good looking case, it just isn't unsightly.

That being said, I would consider the TJ09 (cost aside) based purely on its performance, which is top notch.

Also, I have never owned a case with a window. The only reason I would get one is if I wanted the side intake, which usually means you have to have a window.
November 7, 2006 10:37:25 PM

Quote:
Also, I have never owned a case with a window. The only reason I would get one is if I wanted the side intake, which usually means you have to have a window.

I havent seem many cases with both windows and a side intake. I've noticed that usually it's one or the other and for the most part it's neither, opposite to what you have suggested, I may be wrong tho, but thats just my experience. If you really wanted a case with a side intake and didnt care about a window, it's not that hard to mod it yourself or buy a premade side panel from a place like FrozenCPU or Performance-PCS

Either way I'm just nitpicking details. :wink:
and forgive my grammar/punctuation, too tired to clean it up...
November 7, 2006 10:54:07 PM

Even the Thermaltake Armor has a side window + intake:

November 7, 2006 10:56:24 PM

that's why it's one of the best money can buy :) 
November 7, 2006 11:11:50 PM

I like Thermaltake myself. That's what I am using but the previous version which as no 250 mm side fan. Still a very good case, top end quality and very good air flow.
November 7, 2006 11:15:14 PM

at the time i bought mine there was no TT armor cases with no 250 mm side fan, so had to order the side door with fan later
November 7, 2006 11:27:48 PM

@ Nitro

I just went to newegg, went to view their cases, filtered to only show the windowed ones, then sorted by price ascending (edit, not desc). Of the first 20 cases I looked at, they ALL had at least a mounting spot for a side intake fan. Most of them came with the side fan pre-installed. I am not sure what windowed cases you normal look at, but almost all of the ones I have seen at least have the option to add a side intake fan.
November 7, 2006 11:42:01 PM

I live in Canada, and aparently Newegg doesnt like my... Wont let me load a single page, I've tried 3 different browsers and a proxy, still doesnt like me.

But anyway, I usually look for cases at NCIX or TigerDirect, at NCIX it's hard to preview the cases without clicking on them, Tiger is easier. I must appologize tho, It seems that a lot of them have added fans or places for fans on the side, Havent looked at windowed cases in while, I assumed it didn't change much. :oops: 

That and local retailers here in winnipeg mostly carry the cheapest cases(for the most part older models too) and those rarely include side fans at all. The only way to buy a better case here is to either order it off online retailers or if you're lucky enough a local retailer might have that particular case on display, funny thing is it's cheaper to order and pay shipping than to buy local...
November 8, 2006 5:03:46 AM

A fellow Canuck, eh. I live in the Vancouver area (near an NCIX location actually). Newegg works fine for me, must be something with either your router or your ISP. Canada can be really lame for some PC components (mostly video cards) and of course you never really want to have to ship a case (especially with our exhorbitant shipping rates up here). I generally shop @ NCIX and ATIC (atic.ca).

Anyways, I used to really dislike side windows, but since I have gotten more into overclocking and tuning, I have had to clean up all of my cables, etc, so I don't mind showing it off a little (although I still don't use LEDs). Mostly I just want the side intake. I will likely just cut a hole in the side of my case to accomplish this instead of using a window anyways.
November 8, 2006 7:01:55 AM

Quote:

I live in Canada, and aparently Newegg doesnt like my... Wont let me load a single page, I've tried 3 different browsers and a proxy, still doesnt like me.

I know this is off topic but that is very odd, you better check for spyware/malware. I like HijackThis, but it is not for the feint of heart. Maybe try to boot the computer with knoppix just to see if u can check out the web page from a different OS. Good luck!

I would get the armor case. However, I like to keep my cases for a very long time. If the 25cm fan in the Armor case failed how hard would it be to find a replacement? Would any 25cm fan work? I looked on newegg and couldn't find any 25cm fans at all!
November 8, 2006 12:05:17 PM

You could always try a proxy server which will make you look like a US IP...

Back to cases, I don't choose cases because it screams "MAN"... I choose them for what they were designed for... cooling (and looks)... but price also matters. I was originally looking at the Lexa, with 120mm exhaust, 120mm side intake, 120mm front intake, top 80mm exhaust, and bottom 80mm intake, moved on the the Zero, 7 120mm fans and 2 80mm... and now I think I settled onto the Antec 900...

Also, paying 200+ bucks for a case doesn't scream "MAN"... it screams "NERD"...
November 8, 2006 12:22:03 PM

Antec 900 is a sweet ass case. If I didn't have one already I'd go for this one. Not too expensive either. This is a real man's case. Military grade, baby (In a rough n' tough kind of way - not the cheapest bid kind of way).
November 8, 2006 5:10:53 PM

I can understand paying 200+ for a case if building computers is a hobby. Think about how much money people put into their cars. My case was actually only $140 with a decent 450W PSU.

As for the Antec 900, I love it. The only thing that worries me is a thread I was reading earlier this week (on toms) about how, on at least some of them, their isn't enough clearance on the video card bay to plug in your monitor. I can't seem to find the thread (it had pictures!), but basically the top expansion slot was a little too small and there isn't enough room for the video cable to plug in.
November 8, 2006 6:26:29 PM

Apparently it's an issue with SLI boards like the A8N-SLI he is using... Personally I probably would have tried to bang it down a bit with a wood block or worst-case get the rotozip or dremel to it... Beats waiting for an RMA :p 

Quote:
mohawk @ atomicmpc.com.au forums"]
[/url]
November 8, 2006 6:58:40 PM

Quote:
Also, paying 200+ bucks for a case doesn't scream "MAN"... it screams "NERD"...

LMAO :lol: 
November 8, 2006 7:17:55 PM

If that Antec 900 problem is only with SLI boards, couldn't you just use the 2nd PCIEx16 slot? Or if you only have one card, does it have to be in the top one? If you have two cards, couldn't you just hook your monitor up to the lower card?
!