Drop-in compatibility with merom

bpgordon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I have a thinkpad T60 with a reg'lar old Core Duo. If I were to buy a merom, how easy would it be to switch out the processors? Would I have to update my BIOS? How about heatsinks- I think my laptop has some kind of copper thermal piping over the CPU.. is that kind of thing easy to remove and will my new processor even fit under it? My experience in the laptop form factor is nothing more than putting in a mini pci wireless card.

Also, and most importantly, would I have a human-noticeable performance increase if I get a similarly clocked core 2, or would it just be a difference in benchmarks?

G

Without goin into any details, I had to change the CPU fan on a HP laptop once, I think most laptop will be similare.

You have to take the whole computer apart. You absolutly need the PDF of the laptop with you all the time. In the process you will probably Void your warranty, and when you'll put it back together, it probably wont fit perfectly and chances are you will have 1 or 2 screws left.

Overall I dont recommend doing this unless you are really familiar with computer hardware/tinering in general.

Other then that I would think the Core 2 Duo would be suported as the T60 they're selling is actually using that CPU. Doesnt meen that much but its a good indication.

Just because they are selling a T60 with a Core 2 doesn't mean its supported on his T60. Laptop mainboards are notoriously proprietary, and so it would be very difficult to tell if you even have one that will support a Core 2. Even in the same laptop family and laptop series, there are vast variations of hardware. The last thing I'd want you to have is a chip with no mother...board. (I couldn't resist....)

G

Well most merom were suppose to be drop in replacement. I agree with the mobo being proprietary but a CPU with the same socket and proper VRM and its all good. Im pretty sur they didn't change the VRMs from yonah to merom, have to check.
And it's the same Model! I agree that I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't supported but still.

I should have put more emphasis on the :
Doesnt meen that much but its a good indication.

not a lot of punch I agree :)

Your est bet is oubviously to email IBM/Lenovo...