Canon scanner light source scanning element dirfferences

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 28, 2005 9:27:52 PM

Hi
What's the difference between a CIS Scanning element with an LED
Light source and a CCD Scanning element with a Cold cathode
fluorescent lamp Light source in regards to scanning quality results
etc.?

Is the CC D required for film scanners? or do they give better results

I don't need a film scanner - just for photos, CD/DVD covers and OCR

I'm pulled between the Canonscan lide 35 and the lide 80

Martin
©¿©¬
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:52:16 PM

<Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com> wrote in message

> Hi
> What's the difference between a CIS Scanning element with an LED
> Light source and a CCD Scanning element with a Cold cathode
> fluorescent lamp Light source in regards to scanning quality results
> etc.?
>
> Is the CC D required for film scanners? or do they give better results
>
> I don't need a film scanner - just for photos, CD/DVD covers and OCR
>
> I'm pulled between the Canonscan lide 35 and the lide 80
>
> Martin
> ©¿©¬
CCD + Cold Cathode scanners are reputed to give better quality scans with
improved colour accuracy than the cheaper (but usually more compact) CIS
scanners. I've never actually used a CIS scanner so am only going by what
I've read and I assume there will be great individual variation. As for
those 2 models you mention, I'm unfamiliar with both but if one uses CCD and
the other CIS, all else being equal, I'd go for the CCD one.

Paul
!