Review: NETGEAR RangeMax 240 Wireless Router

Tags:
  • Article Discussion
  • Wireless Router
  • WiFi
  • Netgear
Last response: in Toms Network
February 15, 2006 6:32:58 PM

Not only this product, but all draft 802.11n products when running in their default high-speed mode will cause interference with 802.11b/g wireless LANs using Channel 6. Do you think this should be changed before the 802.11n standard is finalized?

More about : review netgear rangemax 240 wireless router

July 17, 2006 4:35:41 AM

There is more to a router than just speed. I recently tried a NetGear RangeMax 240 router but found that many of my current devices (e.g. an Apple Airport and a Linksys PAP2) could not reliably establish DHCP assignments from the RangeMax. Powering up the network requires a careful sequence of powering on the cable modem, then the router, then attached devices.

a2dave
July 27, 2006 7:11:23 PM

I picked this router up for the speed and hit a pretty interesting issue.

The wired portion of the router worked fine, but that is not why I bought it. What I found is there were numerous websites that I was unable to access when I used the wireless portion of the router.

I could ping and tracert to all of the sites but I could not open the website through my browser. When I compared the wireless tracert to the wired tracert I was surprised to see that they actually took different routes. I do not know if this is typical of wireless devices but I thought it was pretty odd. Not only were the routes different but the destination IPs were different. I hardcoded my DNS into both connections and it still translated the IP's differently and performed the same.

After going through a couple support people I finally found someone that recognized that the problem was a known issue. Unfortunately he could not tell me when the issue would be addressed.

Needless to say I returned the device.
Related resources
!