sata 3.0 or serialata 150 ?

Milanowiec

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I have a question about sata 3.0GB/s and serial ata 150. What if my motherboard says that it supports serial ata 150 but says nothing about sata 3.0Gb/s? If I buy sata 3.0GB/s and connect it will it still work?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
What if my motherboard says that it supports serial ata 150 but says nothing about sata 3.0Gb/s?
So it's mean that it only support S-ATA 150.

If I buy sata 3.0GB/s and connect it will it still work?
Yes. No worries on this. S-ATA 3.0GB/s are backward compatible. Some S-ATA 3GB/s HDD has a special jumper to switch back to S-ATA 150.

Milanowiec

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
yes meaning that it supports sata 150. Thanks for information :) now i can buy it cuz i was wondering for a long time if it will work :)

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
yeah, you just wont be making the use of the full potential of the drive in terms of speed which I guess doesnt matter but is probably meaning that your paying for performance that your not making use of.

pat

Expert
yeah, you just wont be making the use of the full potential of the drive in terms of speed which I guess doesnt matter but is probably meaning that your paying for performance that your not making use of.

What it means is that the interface is faster with the 3.0gb/s but hdd still have to fully saturate the sata150 but(even the ATA100bus, by the way..)

So, the drive will still be used at it full speed, but some feature(that don't really affect performance, like hot swapping) wont be available.

the newest sata standard don't really add speed to the HDD. it simply add bandwidth to the bus and some feature.

Your 30 mp/h speed limited moped wont go faster on a 60 mp/h highway that in town

You speed limited HDD wont be faster on sata3.0gb/s than on sata150. fact is..even sata 80 would be fast enough...