Your question

Forum loads slow as Sheep Testicles

Tags:
  • Site Bug Reports
  • Internet Explorer
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Forum Feedback
May 31, 2008 3:06:55 AM

Anyone else noticing that when you view or reply to a topic that the IE window is basically unresponsive for about 15 seconds after the page loads up?

I noticed this on my work machine (IE7, XP SP3) and my home machine (Vista 32-bit Ultimate, IE7). It just kinda sucks because the forums are approaching the unusable point.

[sarcasm]Also, isn't there a way we can fit more advertisements into the interface? I was using the forums and I thought, wow, constant double green advertisement links, the advertisment sidebar, and intra-post advertisements aren't really enough. There's gotta be a way that we can fit more advertisements into the interface. Maybe some pop-ups or something... just an idea.[/sarcasm]

More about : forum loads slow sheep testicles

June 1, 2008 5:18:33 AM

*pity post*
;p
June 15, 2008 3:58:45 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Anyone else noticing that when you view or reply to a topic that the IE window is basically unresponsive for about 15 seconds after the page loads up?

[sarcasm]Also, isn't there a way we can fit more advertisements into the interface? I was using the forums and I thought, wow, constant double green advertisement links, the advertisment sidebar, and intra-post advertisements aren't really enough. There's gotta be a way that we can fit more advertisements into the interface. Maybe some pop-ups or something... just an idea.[/sarcasm]

they could put a banner ad after each word

so if someone does a 300 word essay, there will be 300 banner ads in their post :) 

the forums load fine if you remove the ads

it is not that the tomshardware servers are slow, ( by grabbing the same image rapidly, i was able to hit around 250KB/s , about half of my download speed, which is plenty fast to load the actual content of the page, the problem is that roughly 70-80% of the size of the page are ads and the 3rd party ad servers are very slow, so if your browser gets stuck on the ad, the page wont load until the ad server responds

this effect can be reduced by enabling pipelining in firefox

(step by step instructions on my site, scroll down about 2/3rd's of the page http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2241e/tips/id1.html )
!