Sign in with
Your question

Does HD orientation affect performance or life?

Last response: in Storage
November 7, 2006 11:48:10 PM

Will sideways mounting be an issue for Raptors?
November 8, 2006 12:43:14 AM

Quote:
Will sideways mounting be an issue for Raptors?

no, hard drives are designed to work in a 0G environment, and orientation does not effect their operation or lifetime at all. shaking them while they are on, or spinning them while they are on will tho :lol: 
November 8, 2006 4:32:25 AM

Actually, they're designed to work in a 1G environment (here on earth, not in space :wink: ).
While a drive will work fine as long as two of its 6 faces are parallel with the ground, at least one manufacturer says not to install their drive at an angle.
Related resources
November 8, 2006 5:43:08 AM

Not that I can imagine why, but could you list that manufacurer that recommends two sides parallel to the earth?

Also I wonder on the effects that coroliolis force does to the bearings... Maybe it'd be better to rotate your drive around a plane every so often...

And then there's the question of notebooks and coriolis force. I frequently carry my NB on a train, bus, etc. I tilt it to get better views of the screen when I get 'sunstrike' etc. My NB is 4 years old, been treated like shite, nary an issue. I've dropped it while running...

Just a set of random ramblings...
November 8, 2006 9:10:38 AM

IBM (Hitachi now) on the install sheet for Deskstar 75GXPs (I just recycled a couple from an older computer into a roll-your-own NAS).
November 8, 2006 9:27:20 AM

IBM knows better.... I bet they were hedging bets against warranty claims over the DeathStar debacle.

The 75GXPs were excellent drives in their time, and should stand you in quite good stead.
November 8, 2006 9:27:32 AM

I once killed a maxtor by running it at an angle for a couple weeks (this was back in ~98).
!