punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
hello all!! first, let me say, if i would have come here in the first place i probably wouldnt be in this mess. but, i do try to resolve most of my pc problems by reading, and tinkering myself. well, that method has my machine fubar right now :) anyway....1 problem led me down the path of updating my bios, even though my gut says thats not the problem (but thats my next post ;) ) i decided to try the asus update utility. i downloaded and saved newest bios to desktop, i installed update utility from mobo disk, clicked "update from file" and chose the newest update, nothing happened!! well, actually somethin happened, the pc just froze, no mouse movement, couldnt bring up task mngr, hdd light showing no activity. well i let it sit there for apprx. 45 minutes (300 was on :) and then i hit reset button. rebooted fine...it showed that my older bios (v. 1901) was still installed. so i decided to try the update again, but in safe mode. but when i try to open the updte utly, i get dll errors. uninstall and it wont reinstall, even when i put disk in. so i search some forums and come across this "so-called" fix to reinstall updte utlty. here is the steps i took...start>run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>software>rename"Wow6432Node" to "aWow6432Node">restart.........so i did this. now i got a mess!! 1st..it loads fine....but all my icons have turned into that lil white box with the even littler box (i dont know wut its called but im sure u know wut im talkin about) none of my programs will work because it says "windows cannot open this file...blah..it needs to know what program created it...blah..what do u want to do...blah...well if i check "select from list" its empty...if i chose "find program from web" internet explorer wont load up!?!?! well when i try to reopen start>run>regedit....that same window pops up (windows cannot open blah blah) even if i go to my control panel and go into system tools...nothing...all blank icons!! so in a nutshell...anything with a ".exe" after it will not open!?!? how in the heck do i get back into the regedit so ican change that entry back the way it was??? i cant even do a system restore!! LOL!! any help would be much appreciated. i have 2 versions of windows on same hdd and everything is fine on the x32. so is there any way to access the x64's regedit from here?!?! thanks again for any help!!

punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
sorry bout that TC. i actually have solved this problem...good ole fashioned windows re-install ;) HOLY CRAP!! YOUR A RED WINGS FAN!! UGH!! im watching them hoist the cup right now on my beloved penguins home ice!! YOU PRICK!! LOL!! just kiddin...we'll get em next year ;)