Lost 1 of 4 DDR chips, what configuration should i go w?

Dacar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Ok. So I had 4x512mb Geil PC3200 DDR400 (CL=2-6-3-3) Golden Dragon chips. One of them has become corrupted somehow so after testing to find out which it was I removed it. So now i have 3 chips and my speed has dropped. Is it better to have 1.5GHz at the single rate since dual is disabled by not having chips paired or should i removed another chips and have 1 GHz at dual speeds. Rest of system: P4 2.6c w/HT on an Intel D465GBF motherboard. I use the computer mostly for gaming and business related web development. Thanks.

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Ok. So I had 4x512mb Geil PC3200 DDR400 (CL=2-6-3-3) Golden Dragon chips. One of them has become corrupted somehow so after testing to find out which it was I removed it. So now i have 3 chips and my speed has dropped. Is it better to have 1.5GHz at the single rate since dual is disabled by not having chips paired or should i removed another chips and have 1 GHz at dual speeds. Rest of system: P4 2.6c w/HT on an Intel D465GBF motherboard. I use the computer mostly for gaming and business related web development. Thanks.

woah, hold on, first off your getting the wrong idea. ram speeds don't stack like that. dual channel, (which is probably what your thinking) only uses two sticks at a single time, so 2 sticks of DDR400 effectively become DDR800.

the reduction in bandwidth is only lost on the single stick. the other two will still work in dual channel mode. and for what your doing you wont notice a difference from just the loss of bandwidth, you may notice the loss of actual memory ( - 512MB) now may be a good time to pick up a 2GB dual channel pack, because you will like the increase in ram, and you will have all your sticks running in dual channel. plus a little future proofing with 3GB of total memory.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
(Msg. 2) Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:57 pm
Post subject: Re: Lost 1 of 4 DDR chips, what configuration should i go w? [in reply to: Dacar]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dacar wrote:

woah, hold on, first off your getting the wrong idea. ram speeds don't stack like that. dual channel, (which is probably what your thinking) only uses two sticks at a single time, so 2 sticks of DDR400 effectively become DDR800.

the reduction in bandwidth is only lost on the single stick. the other two will still work in dual channel mode. and for what your doing you wont notice a difference from just the loss of bandwidth, you may notice the loss of actual memory ( - 512MB) now may be a good time to pick up a 2GB dual channel pack, because you will like the increase in ram, and you will have all your sticks running in dual channel. plus a little future proofing with 3GB of total memory

yes but have you checked the price of ddr ram lately= 8O

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
i know, its kinda pricey....should drop around Christmas time hopefully. but i was just making the point. i do agree, ram prices are not properly following the laws of economics

Dacar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Ok, yes Geil ram i have is very expensive and no longer made. It has cool art and dragons on it. Its over 3 years old though. I'm gonna be building a new system within the next year, so buying something is really out of the question.

In response to Almerac info. Normally, you'd be right, but this is an older mobo and is forcing all the ram to single and dropping the frequency some to protect itself. So i'm unable to run the two other chips in dual channel, which sucks, but i don't know how to get around it.

My ram is 1.5 running at frequency of 160(should really be 200 but my motherboard is protecting because of the lack of matched chips) outta my max 800 possible. If I remove one of the 512 chips the frequency will jump up to 800 but it's only 1 gig of ram. Which is better? I'm thinking the 1gig set up may be more effective. Thanks.

Dacar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
A little bit more follow-up. So I just called GeIL trying to figure out what this lifetime warranty was on the previously link and they are sending me new modules to replace the pair! I'm thoroughly impressed with this company and would recommend them to anyone.

Dacar

almerac

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
A little bit more follow-up. So I just called GeIL trying to figure out what this lifetime warranty was on the previously link and they are sending me new modules to replace the pair! I'm thoroughly impressed with this company and would recommend them to anyone.

Dacar

always love good warrenties :D