keyboard logger trojans

I had a few people staying at my home while I was not around. I don't use a
login. I'd like to feel confident that they didn't install a keyboard
logger trojan that could steal my passwords. Can somebody suggests how I
should approach this. [I am even considering format c: as its been a
couple years since I originally bought this XP computer.]

sk
3 answers Last reply
More about keyboard logger trojans

    The launchpoints of keyloggers are Services and startup items:

    How to manage Windows Startup?:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

    To inspect the services, open MSCONFIG and switch to Services tab. Click "Hide all Microsoft services".

    And, use Drivers.exe to list all the loaded drivers:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/drivers-o.asp

    Even better, try a clean install of XP:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "eskey" <regfman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O9B2Q0F5EHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    I had a few people staying at my home while I was not around. I don't use a
    login. I'd like to feel confident that they didn't install a keyboard
    logger trojan that could steal my passwords. Can somebody suggests how I
    should approach this. [I am even considering format c: as its been a
    couple years since I originally bought this XP computer.]

    sk

    Yes, clean install is best but I hope not to have to do that -- although the
    last time I did that at work, on company time, it really sped up my win2k
    machine, and I was happy I did it.

    The problem with a visual scan of services, startup items, and drivers is
    that I am not familar with the names of many of them so I have no idea
    whether they are legitimate or not. I don't know how hackers write this
    stuff but it sure seems to me that they wouldn't name it "evil keyboard
    logging utility"; they would name it something harmless sounding. So it
    seems that what I want is sometihng like a virus scanning utility that
    searches for a list of known exploits.

    sk

[...]

    A good anti-virus software and a spyware cleaner should be able to remove the keyloggers (if any). In addition, it's worth verifying the services / startup entries manually. Note that the latest version of HijackThis lists all the non-MS services.

    You need:

    Lavasoft Ad-Aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    SpyBot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org
    CWShredder - http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

    Download the latest versions of this tool *AND* also update the database immediately before running a full scan. In addition, download HijackThis from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ Generate a log using HijackThis and visit any of these forums below to post your HijackThis log. The experts there will guide you how to remove the malware from your system:

    http://forums.aumha.org
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com

    More reading:
    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "eskey" <regfman@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e73MkHG5EHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Yes, clean install is best but I hope not to have to do that -- although the
    last time I did that at work, on company time, it really sped up my win2k
    machine, and I was happy I did it.

    The problem with a visual scan of services, startup items, and drivers is
    that I am not familar with the names of many of them so I have no idea
    whether they are legitimate or not. I don't know how hackers write this
    stuff but it sure seems to me that they wouldn't name it "evil keyboard
    logging utility"; they would name it something harmless sounding. So it
    seems that what I want is sometihng like a virus scanning utility that
    searches for a list of known exploits.

    sk

Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP