Building Computer for Senior Project ( Need opinion plz plz)

xrambo

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Well I'm building a computer for my so called Senior Graduation Project. My first time building, but I'm not clueless when it comes to computer parts and my computer class teacher is helping me. I will be gaming on this PC heavily... What do you guys think of it? Would you recommend something different, are the parts all compatible, stickin with Intel cause the Core2 duos out perform most amd's. Would wait until dx10 but gotta have it built before December anyway heres the list....Tell me what u think!!
Case
Motherboard
PSU
RAM
Processer
Graphics Card
Hard Drive (gettin 2 in RAID 0)
Floppy (my teacher recommended...)
CD Drive (gettin 2)
Temp Sensor
Cold Cathod blue!!
Liquid Cooling ( my teacher recommended)
Nice Keyboard!!!
Mouse
LCD
Speakers

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I would love to help, but could you list the parts, not just links to newegg? For some reason Newegg doesnt like me and will not let me load their page, tried 3 different browsers and a proxy, but still doesnt like me.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
everything looks pretty good, you might want to get some extra coolant, and if you have any pets make sure they dont drink it, since its, well extremely toxic but you probably already knew that.

oh one more thing, youve got the coolest computer teacher ever!

xrambo

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Just for u Nitro350z :wink: ill list the parts, I thought its just regular water u put in...some1 fill me up on that so i gotta buy a special type of coolant for that mmm thx for the help so far

CASE Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

NEON LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL2 12" DUAL COLD CATHODE KIT - OEM

DVD DRIVE LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model SHW-160P6S-04 - Retail

TEMP DISPLAY SILVERSTONE SST-FP52-S Silver Aluminum Multifunction Panel - Retail

RAM CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) System Memory Model VS2GBKIT667D2 - Retail

LIQUID COOLING Thermaltake CL-W0075 120mm Ceramic Liquid Cooling System - Retail

FLOPPY SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM

MOTHERBOARD Intel BOXD975XBXLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

HARDDRIVE Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

KEYBOARD Logitech G15 2-Tone USB Wired Standard Keyboard - Retail

LCD ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" 2ms LCD Monitor - Retail

MOUSE Logitech MX518 931352-0403 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1x Wheel USB + PS/2 Optical Mouse - Retail

PSU
Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail

PROCESSOR
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

SPEAKERS Logitech Z-5450 315 Watts 5.1 Digital Speaker System - Retail

GRAPHICS CARD BFG Tech BFGR7950512GTOCE GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Thats a pretty sweet comp. As for the liquid cooling, you can either put in a dedicated fluid, such as Fluid XP (it's "non conductive", non corrosive and performs well) or a water additive like the DD(danger den) ones (additive to water, somewhat conductive, good performance) or you can use distilled water(not sure about this one), The kit should come with an additive, I think.

I would recomend something like FluidXP, it's just a lot less hassle IMO

For you motherboard, I would suggest maybe an asus or gigabyte instead of the intel, I just prefer an asus motherboard and it seems like they are more stable when overclocking (I'm not exactly sure on this, but IMO the quality is usually higher with these manufacturers) if you plan on overclocking. Someone with experience verify this...

Otherwise that is an awesome system, and I wish I had a computers teacher like yours.

PS - if you ever need a/v cables or simmilar, look at monoprice.com , They have the greatest prices (usually half price of local retailers including shipping). They also have comp parts, but it's mostly outdated, but the cold cathode kits are pretty cheap.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Case - yes
Motherboard - yes
PSU - yes
RAM - good thinking
Processer - yes
Graphics Card - yes
Hard Drive (gettin 2 in RAID 0) - whatever
Floppy (my teacher recommended...) - OK
CD Drive (gettin 2) - alright
Temp Sensor - mmm
Cold Cathod blue!! - oh god no you'll go blind
Liquid Cooling ( my teacher recommended) - report him to the school board
Nice Keyboard!!! - does it have keys? it's nice then
Mouse - yes
LCD - yes
Speakers - forget it: get a real hi fi and a good soundcard

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
This will be a very nice computer. As for the case I would recommend this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133155

the silver edition of the case for some reason is made of solid alum. unlike the black which is made of alum/steel which will reduce the weight of the computer overall drastically. And as for the HD's i will HIGHLY recommend the

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144

these drives are just amazing I myself have 2 of them in raid0 and they are very fast and quiet. The drives are going to cost a little more but come with twice the cache on them also and alot better performance. As for the MB i agree with the other people i would recommend an Asus or Gigabyte board. And if you are building this rig for gaming and OC'ing i would get the 965 chipset i have read that is OC's like crazy. The Intel boards also do not include that great of features and carry HIGH price tags compared to other MBs with the same features. As for the rest man it looks great.

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
A good system but a little mismatched I think. Judging by the ram and mobo, I would assume you don't plan to OC, so why water cool unless it is required for the project. If that is the case, get one of the brands of mobo mentioned above and better ram. I have had a few problems in the past with the Corsair valueselect ram too, so I wouldn't recommend that anyway. XMS is good stuff tho.

Also, in the HD area, Seagate 10 series is the new thing to have now, and 320 is where the sweet spot for price per gig.

randomcow

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Nice project! I wish I could devote a year to building my own PC.

I agree with above. The water cooling introduces unnecessary cost, hassle, maintenance and risk. Air cooling is enough for quietly cooling Conroes even OCed. If you want to burn money anyway TEC is getting popular it might be a more attractive option than WC.

This ones got a temp display LCD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835702002

Also I read a wiki earlier mentioning that RAID0 will not benefit gaming performance by very much in most cases. A single raptor might achive higher performance/cost.

Your RAM choice isnt the best choice for any type of water cooling aided overclocking. Is it your intention to take advantage of the high end cooling to overclock?

LCD: Replace ViewSonic VX922 19" $255 with SAMSUNG 205BW Black 20" 6ms Widescreen $290

Floppy Drive : SIIG 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Media Card Reader/Write + Floppy $40

SPEAKERS Logitech Z-5450 $299.99 @ NewEgg
Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System @ CompUSA $250
(If the shopping process is at all a part of the project learn to use FROOGLE for searching)
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Logitech+Z-5450+Digital+5.1&btnG=Search

MOTHERBOARD Intel BOXD975XBXLKR "The Bad Axe"
Be on the lookout for BadAxe2 BOXD975XBX2KR it should be released in the very near future.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Intel+BOXD975XBX2KR&btnG=Search
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP $250 or ABIT AW9D-MAX $230 are better overclocking choices than the BadAxe1 and so a better match for water cooling.

Jinx13

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Just thought of something else. The 5450 speakers are apt to have interferance in the rear wireless channels according to some reviews I have read. Just get the 5400s.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
if youre looking for a DX 10 card i would suggest you buy a cheaper GPU now then upgrade later for the system you have there it deserves a DX10 so maybe find yourself a cheap 6600 or similar on ebay or wherever then get DX10 when you can. just my opinion anyway. it also gives you the option of writing a couple of pages regarding upgrading and expandability of the Computer when you write up your project