I have a problem

Well i was just testing out the OCing abilities of my Core 2 e6400 and i was watching the fan speed monitor i have in my motherboards Ocing software and my CPU fan never got above 2000 RPM even though the temps were hitting like 55-58. and i think this is a little low, if some one could help me out with either telling me of a way to manually control the fan speed or a way of telling the Bios to up the speed more.

just so you know i have

e6400,(Was OCd at 2.33 GHZ and running Sandra's CPU burn in software for approx. 20 min straight)
And i have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 running bios rev F7
and this is all cooled by the CPU cooler, 2 80mm fan units, and 1 120 mm fan unit.

THX for any help i get in advance.
5 answers Last reply
More about problem
  1. You are dealing with a stock cooler right.Well that's your prob dude,you need an after market cooler to get a faster fan.Lots of different coolers available,just google it and you should find quite a few.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
    EVGA NF4 SLI MB
    2X7800GT IN SLI
    2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
    WD300GIG HD
    EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
    ACE 520WATT PSU
    COOLERMASTER MINI R120
  2. Quote:
    Well i was just testing out the OCing abilities of my Core 2 e6400 and i was watching the fan speed monitor i have in my motherboards Ocing software and my CPU fan never got above 2000 RPM even though the temps were hitting like 55-58. and i think this is a little low, if some one could help me out with either telling me of a way to manually control the fan speed or a way of telling the Bios to up the speed more.

just so you know i have

e6400,(Was OCd at 2.33 GHZ and running Sandra's CPU burn in software for approx. 20 min straight)
    And i have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 running bios rev F7
    and this is all cooled by the CPU cooler, 2 80mm fan units, and 1 120 mm fan unit.

THX for any help i get in advance.

First, the stock cooler, unlike what others have said, can run over 4250 rpm, and it makes a bloody racket doing so.

Secondly 2.33 Ghz is hardly much of an an "overclock" of this 2.14 Ghz processor, and shouldn't give more than a temp of 40 or so working hard, on the stock cooler. For 2.33 Ghz the stock cooler is absolutely fine running at 2000 RPM, however your temps are too high so check case ventilation in the area of the CPU and the cooler mounting on the CPU. It can be tricky to get it seated right.

An overclock would be more like 2.6Ghz or greater. My own 6400 runs at 3.2 Ghz, with a max temp of 58 degrees (coretemp, 45 degrees on MB monitoring) using an Arctic Cooler Pro 7.
  3. this was as i though but i have all of my fan settings to 100% so it should in theory be spinning the cooler to 100% capacity. if some one could tell me if there is any way to manually set the CPU fan speed to run at a set speed. i know my friend did it with is Pentium D processor on some asus board where the fan just spinned at 4500 RPM all the time thusly keeping his cpu ALOT cooler all of the time, and he has that thing OC'd to something like 3.89 GHZ with water cooling on it now.

so basically to sum up my rambling is there a way with my board to set the cpu fan to run at a single set speed or will it allways be variable.

THX for any information in advance
    ~Andrew~
  4. Quote:
    this was as i though but i have all of my fan settings to 100% so it should in theory be spinning the cooler to 100% capacity. if some one could tell me if there is any way to manually set the CPU fan speed to run at a set speed. i know my friend did it with is Pentium D processor on some asus board where the fan just spinned at 4500 RPM all the time thusly keeping his cpu ALOT cooler all of the time, and he has that thing OC'd to something like 3.89 GHZ with water cooling on it now.

so basically to sum up my rambling is there a way with my board to set the cpu fan to run at a single set speed or will it allways be variable.

THX for any information in advance
    ~Andrew~

I have absolutely no experience with your motherboard so I can't tell you the exact settings in Bios, but on the Asus series the fan speeds are set by Q-fan settings including default profiles "silent," "Optimal" and "Performance" with each profile ramping up the speed. But I still say you have a problem with how the cooler is attached to the board, did the four mounts snap properly in place?
  5. well I did some tests with my cooler last night and my friend and i deduced that the cooler is in fact not on properly and i am planning on having him come over today to help me re-seat the cooler. but i would still like to know if there is some kind of fan controller unit either in my bios or in my software package that will let me manually set the speed.

THX
    ~Andrew~

EDIT: well i took it over to my friends house who is much more experienced in this stuff, we reseated the cpu cooler and now it is over clocked to 2.4 ghz and runs at like 45○ C. so on monday when i h ave time to Over clock again im going to try and take it to 3.0 ghz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Fan Speed Components