Creating hotspot by tapping into wired LAN

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I got a Linksys wireless router. I have a network with 30 machines
with static IPs - 192.168.128.1 through 192.168.128.255. I'm plugging
wireless router into the wired switch through port 1. Wireless
computers connect to the new wireless network, but they just sit there,
no Internet, no network.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about creating hotspot tapping wired
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Mia" <maxvalery@gmail.com> wrote:
    >I got a Linksys wireless router. I have a network with 30 machines
    >with static IPs - 192.168.128.1 through 192.168.128.255. I'm plugging
    >wireless router into the wired switch through port 1. Wireless
    >computers connect to the new wireless network, but they just sit there,
    >no Internet, no network.

    Sounds like you need to assign a static IP address (and other
    associated parameters, talk to your IT folks) to the router.
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    This is what I did. I got two of these routers. On router I stupidly
    connected from "Internet" port into Port 1 of one of the hubs ... and
    it worked! People have been going in and out, connecting wirelessly
    and enjoying their fast wireless connection ... but no network.

    The other one (about a mile away) I decided to plug exactly the same
    way ... Didn't work. I them connected the router from Port 1 to Port 1
    on a switch ... Didn't work. I then connected to the router from my
    laptop, used broswer config, set up its IP (192.168.1.2), turned ON the
    DHCP .... everyone connects fine TO THE ROUTER, but no Internet, no
    connectivity.

    I would like to have this router hand out IPs automatically and give
    people access to my network and the Internet. I really don't care what
    IPs it hands out ... as long as people can play with my files and get
    online.

    Thanks!
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Mia" wrote in message
    > I got a Linksys wireless router. I have a network with 30 machines
    > with static IPs - 192.168.128.1 through 192.168.128.255. I'm plugging
    > wireless router into the wired switch through port 1. Wireless
    > computers connect to the new wireless network, but they just sit there,
    > no Internet, no network.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Are you wanting the wireless network to be part of 192.168.128.x or a
    different network?

    If I'm reading you right, you are trying to have the wireless part of the
    same network -- basically just using the wireless router as an access point
    only by feeding one of it's LAN ports and not WAN (?). If so, just make
    sure the wireless router's DHCP is disabled, and then just set it's WAN's
    local/gateway/mask/dns accordingly to 192.168.128.x or obtain automatically
    if you got DHCP upstream. (It'll also pass through the router to clients.)

    If you want the WLAN a different network than your LAN, it should be as
    simple as just giving the router's WAN's local/gateway/mask/dns accordingly
    to 192.168.128.x (or auto), it's WLAN to whatever you want to use for the
    new network, and DHCP enabled if you want to use it for the WLAN. Doing
    something similiar here, using ZoneCD (portal). My LAN is 192.168.x.y,
    while WLAN is 10.10.x.y. They can all talk just fine to one another.

    Only familiar with DLink, but my DLink stuff (routers and AP's) have an
    option to enable/disable wireless and wired integration. By default, they
    were all disabled. It wasn't until enabling them that everything could talk
    to one another.

    Cheers
    Eric
  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Eric wrote:
    > "Mia" wrote in message
    >> I got a Linksys wireless router. I have a network with 30 machines
    >> with static IPs - 192.168.128.1 through 192.168.128.255. I'm plugging
    >> wireless router into the wired switch through port 1. Wireless
    >> computers connect to the new wireless network, but they just sit there,
    >> no Internet, no network.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Are you wanting the wireless network to be part of 192.168.128.x or a
    > different network?
    >
    > If I'm reading you right, you are trying to have the wireless part of the
    > same network -- basically just using the wireless router as an access point
    > only by feeding one of it's LAN ports and not WAN (?). If so, just make
    > sure the wireless router's DHCP is disabled, and then just set it's WAN's
    > local/gateway/mask/dns accordingly to 192.168.128.x or obtain automatically
    > if you got DHCP upstream. (It'll also pass through the router to clients.)

    When you use a wireless router as an AP and plug into one of the LAN ports ...
    can you still get to that AP config page with a browser to do the setup things?
    If you have five identical wireless routers and you use 4 of them as APs can
    each be reached via a browser for setup. (same question 2 times) Is this a
    viable method of stretching wireless coverage as long as running cables is not
    an issue? If so... is it best to daisy chain the connections or use the maximum
    LAN ports from the original wireless router to feed the APs LAN ports?
    And I'm assuming that however they are physically connected they all get the
    same SSID but mix up the channels using 1-6-11-1- 6 etc keeping like channels
    physically separated as best as possible. Correct?

    > If you want the WLAN a different network than your LAN, it should be as
    > simple as just giving the router's WAN's local/gateway/mask/dns accordingly
    > to 192.168.128.x (or auto), it's WLAN to whatever you want to use for the
    > new network, and DHCP enabled if you want to use it for the WLAN. Doing
    > something similiar here, using ZoneCD (portal). My LAN is 192.168.x.y,
    > while WLAN is 10.10.x.y. They can all talk just fine to one another.
    >
    > Only familiar with DLink, but my DLink stuff (routers and AP's) have an
    > option to enable/disable wireless and wired integration. By default, they
    > were all disabled. It wasn't until enabling them that everything could talk
    > to one another.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Eric
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "Mia" <maxvalery@gmail.com> wrote:
    >This is what I did. I got two of these routers. On router I stupidly
    >connected from "Internet" port into Port 1 of one of the hubs ... and
    >it worked! People have been going in and out, connecting wirelessly
    >and enjoying their fast wireless connection ... but no network.

    What do you mean by "no network"? No internet? No WinDoze file and
    print sharing? Is this the one you are happy with?

    >The other one (about a mile away) I decided to plug exactly the same
    >way ... Didn't work. I them connected the router from Port 1 to Port 1
    >on a switch ... Didn't work. I then connected to the router from my
    >laptop, used broswer config, set up its IP (192.168.1.2), turned ON the
    >DHCP .... everyone connects fine TO THE ROUTER, but no Internet, no
    >connectivity.

    You are playing around with static IPs on a network you don't
    administer, and could potentially cause every other machine on the
    existing network a major problem. You really need to co-ordinate with
    the network administrators of the LAN you are plugging into. Ask them
    for a static IP, netmask, default gateway, and DNS server numbers to
    plug into each of your routers.

    >I would like to have this router hand out IPs automatically and give
    >people access to my network and the Internet. I really don't care what
    >IPs it hands out ... as long as people can play with my files and get
    >online.

    Connect the 'internet' port on the routers to the LAN, set the IP,
    netmask, gateway, and DNS numbers you were given on the WAN (or
    internet) side, set the LAN side to use a network that's _different_
    from your existing LAN, and you should be OK.

    Note that the 'play with my files' thing may not work like you think.
    What files are you talking about, where are they located, and who do
    you want to share them with. You may need to open some holes in the
    filewall(s) on your router(s).
  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

    > "Mia" <maxvalery@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>This is what I did. I got two of these routers.

    Before Jeff complains, try stating what exactly "these routers" are.

    >>On router I stupidly
    >>connected from "Internet" port into Port 1 of one of the hubs ... and
    >>it worked! People have been going in and out, connecting wirelessly
    >>and enjoying their fast wireless connection ... but no network.
    >
    > What do you mean by "no network"? No internet? No WinDoze file and
    > print sharing? Is this the one you are happy with?
    >
    >>The other one (about a mile away) I decided to plug exactly the same
    >>way ... Didn't work. I them connected the router from Port 1 to Port 1
    >>on a switch ... Didn't work. I then connected to the router from my
    >>laptop, used broswer config, set up its IP (192.168.1.2), turned ON the
    >>DHCP .... everyone connects fine TO THE ROUTER, but no Internet, no
    >>connectivity.
    >
    > You are playing around with static IPs on a network you don't
    > administer,
    > and could potentially cause every other machine on the
    > existing network a major problem.

    They're "private" addresses. By convention, anyone can use a 198.168.x.x
    address for anything they want.

    > You really need to co-ordinate with
    > the network administrators of the LAN you are plugging into. Ask them
    > for a static IP, netmask, default gateway, and DNS server numbers to
    > plug into each of your routers.

    If you just let the router get its values from the ISPs DHCP server, all
    should be fine.
    --
    derek
  7. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
    >William P. N. Smith <> wrote:
    >> You are playing around with static IPs on a network you don't
    >> administer,
    >> and could potentially cause every other machine on the
    >> existing network a major problem.
    >
    >They're "private" addresses. By convention, anyone can use a 198.168.x.x
    >address for anything they want.

    True, but Mia (the OP) is playing around on a network segment where:
    /*
    I have a network with 30 machines with static IPs - 192.168.128.1
    through 192.168.128.255.
    */

    [Yeah, fuzzy thinking, but you get the idea. Least, I think we do,
    Jeff would disagree, but I'm not sure how to get Newless Cluebies to
    give us any more detail than they do. I tend to state my assumptions
    given the limited information given and present an answer based on my
    assumptions.]

    >> You really need to co-ordinate with
    >> the network administrators of the LAN you are plugging into. Ask them
    >> for a static IP, netmask, default gateway, and DNS server numbers to
    >> plug into each of your routers.
    >
    >If you just let the router get its values from the ISPs DHCP server, all
    >should be fine.

    But it's not clear what the ISP is in this case, and if they really
    are static IPs, then someone is administering them, and Mia needs to
    talk to the administrator before assigning one (or worse, two fifty
    six 8*}) to the WiFi router she(?)'s playing with.

    The problem, IMNSHO, is that Mia has just enough knowledge to be
    dangerous, and may wipe out the existing network by plugging things in
    and configuring them at random.
  8. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:28:13 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

    >[Yeah, fuzzy thinking, but you get the idea. Least, I think we do,
    >Jeff would disagree, but I'm not sure how to get Newless Cluebies to
    >give us any more detail than they do. I tend to state my assumptions
    >given the limited information given and present an answer based on my
    >assumptions.]

    Sigh. Prying information out of people with tech wireless questions
    is frustrating. I can understand not disclosing locations, static
    IP's, logins, and passwords but why this anonymity craze is being
    extended to hardware makes, models, and versions is beyond my limited
    imagination. It's a bit like the browser cookie "threat", where
    paranoia rules over any attempt to understand how cookies actually
    work. Anyway, I've tried being polite, diplomatic, humiliating,
    humorous, vicious, and irate, without any noticeable effect. I would
    not expect beginners to have an extensive technical vocabulary. I do
    expect them to supply enough information to get a decent answer.
    Perhaps it's time to write an FAQ as this nonsense is getting old.

    Anyway, we have a local wireless ISP that uses non-routeable, RFC1918
    style IP addresses in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range. Managing this mess
    was declared to be a challenge, so the least organized person involved
    was drafted into assigning IP addresses and managing the list. That
    was me until recently. Currently, it's about 40 /24 subnets in about
    5 VLAN's. Each user has two IP's, one for the wireless and one for
    the router. There are also about 15 devices on the network. Keeping
    the IP's straight is a pain.

    The major problems are users that want to assign their own IP's, as in
    this example. A new IP appears out of nowhere and usually causes
    problems. I use arpwatch to check for any suprises and conflicts.
    About a month ago, someone decided to reconfigure their router so that
    their IP address was the same as the gateway router. Since the MAC
    address was new, I just blocked it by MAC address at the gateway and
    waited for the phone to ring. 10 minutes later, the complaint arrived
    and I got to practice primal scream therapy at the bozo. It was a
    computer professional with many years of experience that should have
    known better.

    On systems that I maintain, NOBODY assigns IP addresses without first
    asking me or at least telling me shortly afterwards. That included
    the boss at one company that I locked out until his appointment
    schedule allowed me to explain the problem. He was angry. I was
    angrier.

    If someone were to assign their own IP address on one of my systems,
    they will be presumed to be an attacker and treated accordingly.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  9. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    >Sigh. Prying information out of people with tech wireless questions
    >is frustrating.

    I agree, but I don't see that berating the newbies is getting you
    anywhere. Many times people don't know enough to ask the right
    questions, much less give us the information we need to answer them.
    Dunno what the answer is.

    >Perhaps it's time to write an FAQ as this nonsense is getting old.

    Yeah, but the newbies don't (usually) even know what a FAQ is, much
    less where to find it. Sigh.
  10. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Don't want to start another thread ...

    Do you guys know why out of my two laserjet printers the color one
    ALWAYS makes itself DEFAULT printer even though I make the back & white
    one the default one about 10 times a day? We print checks on the B&W,
    and it is EXTREMELY frustrating to see a stack of checks printed on
    blank paper instead of check paper.

    How can you make a printer a default and have it stay default?

    Mia
  11. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On 20 Sep 2005 10:22:16 -0700, "Mia" <maxvalery@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Don't want to start another thread ...

    Why not? Are you somehow afraid that nobody is going to answer your
    question and prefer to trample on some other topic instead? Topic
    drift is a common problem and is most commonly an accidental problem.
    However, doing so intentionally is rather rude.

    >Do you guys know why out of my two laserjet printers the color one
    >ALWAYS makes itself DEFAULT printer even though I make the back & white
    >one the default one about 10 times a day? We print checks on the B&W,
    >and it is EXTREMELY frustrating to see a stack of checks printed on
    >blank paper instead of check paper.
    >
    >How can you make a printer a default and have it stay default?
    >
    >Mia

    Yes, I know that answer and I'm really tempted to confirm my
    reputation as a totally arrogant and obnoxious self centered ego
    maniac by not answering your question. It's especially true because
    you apparently did not read my previous message where I complained
    about people not bothering to describe their problem or what they have
    to work with. In this case, you didn't bother supplying the model
    numbers of your printers, your operating system, or your check
    printing application and version. It's like asking for help with your
    vehicle engine, without offering a clue as to the make, year and
    model.

    However, I can tell that you are not going to get an answer without
    much frustration and just hate to see someone suffer.

    My guess(tm) is that you're using Quicken, Quickbooks, or Peachtree.
    These programs do NOT use the Windoze default printer for anything.
    You must define the default printer used for checks (and the type of
    paper or forms) in the printer configuration page. You might also
    find some more specific help in:
    alt.comp.software.financial.quickbooks
    alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
    alt.comp.software.financial.peachtree

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  12. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:42:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >My guess(tm) is that you're using Quicken, Quickbooks, or Peachtree.
    >These programs do NOT use the Windoze default printer for anything.
    >You must define the default printer used for checks (and the type of
    >paper or forms) in the printer configuration page.

    That was about as clear as mud. I meant the printer configuration
    page in Quicken, Quickbooks, or Peachtree. Each program has a place
    where you decide which printer gets the forms, the reports, the
    checks, and perhaps the envelopes.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Configuration Wireless Router Wireless Networking