HELP .. NO CRITCAL FILES FOUND..

Help Please...

I am trying to install the upgrade xp home, and my computer cannot find the
needed files-- BOOT.INI, SYSTEM.INI ..ETC.. Where did they go, how can I get
them back??

Help
Thnks
3 answers Last reply
More about help critcal files found

    "kawika" <da2693@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Help Please...
    >
    > I am trying to install the upgrade xp home, and my computer cannot find
    the
    > needed files-- BOOT.INI, SYSTEM.INI ..ETC.. Where did they go, how can I
    get
    > them back??
    >
    > Help
    > Thnks

    You didn't say so I'm assuming you didn't use Start>Search>Files and
    Folders...>All files and Folders (the new window). If not, try it; Type in
    needed names in next dialog box. If no results, type in *.ini to be sure.
    Also be sure that Local Drives (Cm D* is what is in "Look in...

    Malv

    You are not installing Windows XP correctly. You must boot to the XP
    installation cd first and install outside of Windows. You'll have to change
    the boot order in the bios to make the cd drive first in the boot order.
    Directions for installing XP here:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
    Make sure you have not used the XP installation cd on any other computer.
    Each computer must have its own XP cd. You will be asked to show your Win 98
    or ME disk to verify upgrade eligibility. You should also run the Upgrade
    Compatibility program on the cd first before trying to install XP.

    "kawika" wrote:

    > Help Please...
    >
    > I am trying to install the upgrade xp home, and my computer cannot find the
    > needed files-- BOOT.INI, SYSTEM.INI ..ETC.. Where did they go, how can I get
    > them back??
    >
    > Help
    > Thnks

    To fix that, go to start, run type cmd. Then type format c: and you should
    be ready to go. Hope that helped :)

Microsoft Windows XP