please help me choose one

hai

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Kingston ddr2 4200 2x1G running at 3.3.3.12
Corsair ddr2 5300 2x1G running at 5.5.5.15
They are all same prices
Most software I run is video converting.

Thanks.

Asus - M2NPV-VM
AMD - X2 4200 AMS

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Doing video conversions, your memory latencies will not play into it much. So, since the Corsair is faster for the same money, I'd go with it. If you ever decide to OC the Corsair should allow more headroom.

And, I am not being biased at all :wink:

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
They are all same prices

Thanks.

Asus - M2NPV-VM
AMD - X2 4200 AMS

I'd say the kingston, those lower latencys will allow more overclocking headroom as you could lower the latency and increase the clock speed of the RAM.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
They are all same prices

Thanks.

Asus - M2NPV-VM
AMD - X2 4200 AMS

I'd say the kingston, those lower latencys will allow more overclocking headroom as you could lower the latency and increase the clock speed of the RAM.
I'd go with the faster ram for the same price for future upgradeability. Check the Corsair to see if it is the "value line". I have read several negative post about the "value line".

BTW - I use my rig mainly for video editing/converting with Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus and I ran my ram at stock DDR2 677 4-4-4-12 and then at DDR2 533 3-4-4-10 with no difference in speed for video converting. I timed it and it seems my HDD is the bottleneck. Just finished installing a 2nd Seagate 7200.1 320GB and am going to time some converting to see if that helped.

hai

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
Thanks for the replied.

I will keep the Corsair 'cause it's faster for the same money. And my mother board is very limit to OC, I don't think I will OC.

My main point is liability, Kingston made very good product (value pack), Corsair is value pack too, but it rated good in Newegg consumer review. Boths are running good on my system.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I'd go with the faster ram for the same price for future upgradeability. Check the Corsair to see if it is the "value line". I have read several negative post about the "value line".
The only complaints I have heard are that the price is going up (all DDR2 is) and that our Value Select won't OC well :?: No surprise there. Are you hearing/reading anything other than that? If so I'd like to read it so I can try to assist.

We use AVID for DV production and several authoring programs for DVD burning, converting, etc. I have found the same as you that timings do not matter. Pure CPU speed does. So in this case, the faster the CPU+memory, the better performance in video rendering, converting, compression, etc.

Mondoman

Splendid
... Check the Corsair to see if it is the "value line". I have read several negative post about the "value line".
The only complaints I have heard are that the price is going up (all DDR2 is) and that our Value Select won't OC well :?:...
The complaint I have is that Corsair doesn't make clear that ValueSelect is outsourced (yes, I know there is a fine-print allusion to this on the website), and so people (including me) get suckered into thinking ValueSelect will live up to Corsair's second-to-none quality reputation. In my more than 15 years of buying RAM, the only defective modules I've ever had have been ValueSelect (in fairness, one set of Ballistix DDR2-800 had SPD settings that didn't allow the board to boot if they were the only RAM installed). This has happened with DDR DIMMs and SODIMMs bought at different times, so it's not an isolated occurance. No overclocking involved.
Corsair is of course happy to replace defective VS modules, but that means you're without any modules for the week or two it takes to ship them back and have new ones sent out.
Kingston seems to be able to sell "value" modules without these problems. Even the lesser brands like Centon, Ultra, etc, seem to be able to consistently deliver working modules. I can only conclude that ValueSelect modules are no better than generic RAM.