is there a way to get a new phone without renewing contract?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
November 27, 2004 8:16:06 AM

I am happy with the existing contract which has expired about a year ago and
none of the new plans can match what I've got. My plan is regional, and all
the new plans are national with a lot less minutes. Since I hardly travel
outside of my state, national plans do nothing for me.

But I do not want to have to renew the contract for another 2 years just
because I want a new phone. Cingular requires a 2 year extention of the
contract if you want to upgrade the phone. Is there a way to buy a phone
from someone other than Cingular and program it?

Thanks.
November 27, 2004 8:16:07 AM

I paid for my own phone and sim cards and I am not under a contract your
SIM will transfer over I have 3 phones for my many moods all work great mine
are all UNLOCKED Motorolas Inculding my old T-Mobile V66

"David" <spammersgohome@spammersgohome.com> wrote in message
> I am happy with the existing contract which has expired about a year ago
and
> none of the new plans can match what I've got. My plan is regional, and
all
> the new plans are national with a lot less minutes. Since I hardly travel
> outside of my state, national plans do nothing for me.
>
> But I do not want to have to renew the contract for another 2 years just
> because I want a new phone. Cingular requires a 2 year extention of the
> contract if you want to upgrade the phone. Is there a way to buy a phone
> from someone other than Cingular and program it?
>
> Thanks.

November 27, 2004 8:36:12 AM

David wrote:

> I am happy with the existing contract which has expired about a year ago and
> none of the new plans can match what I've got. My plan is regional, and all
> the new plans are national with a lot less minutes. Since I hardly travel
> outside of my state, national plans do nothing for me.
>
> But I do not want to have to renew the contract for another 2 years just
> because I want a new phone. Cingular requires a 2 year extention of the
> contract if you want to upgrade the phone. Is there a way to buy a phone
> from someone other than Cingular and program it?
>
> Thanks.

read my post 'Argh, Question!'. I asked the same thing.

Its possible, just switch the sim cards and make sure that the phone can
support cingular service. The links are in the post to some sites that
figure it out for you. :)
November 28, 2004 6:53:06 AM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:16:06 GMT, "David"
<spammersgohome@spammersgohome.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>I am happy with the existing contract which has expired about a year ago and
>none of the new plans can match what I've got. My plan is regional, and all
>the new plans are national with a lot less minutes. Since I hardly travel
>outside of my state, national plans do nothing for me.

There are still regional plans. I don't know how many minutes you're
getting for how much money, but take a look at
http://onlinestoreg.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...
(watch the wrap)

>But I do not want to have to renew the contract for another 2 years just
>because I want a new phone. Cingular requires a 2 year extention of the
>contract if you want to upgrade the phone. Is there a way to buy a phone
>from someone other than Cingular and program it?

Go to any dealer and ask the price of the phone you want for an
'outright buy'. (Be prepared for sticker shock - the prices are
nowhere near the ones on Cingular's site. They subsidize the price if
you extend for 2 years.)
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:46:22 AM

In <2liiq01pntiddutvln7dnjvg6a3e74qtbp@4ax.com> on Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:53:06
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:16:06 GMT, "David"
><spammersgohome@spammersgohome.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>>But I do not want to have to renew the contract for another 2 years just
>>because I want a new phone. Cingular requires a 2 year extention of the
>>contract if you want to upgrade the phone. Is there a way to buy a phone
>>from someone other than Cingular and program it?
>
>Go to any dealer and ask the price of the phone you want for an
>'outright buy'. (Be prepared for sticker shock - the prices are
>nowhere near the ones on Cingular's site. They subsidize the price if
>you extend for 2 years.)

The subsidy is $50/year; i.e., $50 off for 1-year, $100 off for 2-year.

November 30, 2004 6:47:21 AM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:46:22 GMT, John Navas
<spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:

>In <2liiq01pntiddutvln7dnjvg6a3e74qtbp@4ax.com> on Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:53:06
>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>>Go to any dealer and ask the price of the phone you want for an
>>'outright buy'. (Be prepared for sticker shock - the prices are
>>nowhere near the ones on Cingular's site. They subsidize the price if
>>you extend for 2 years.)

>The subsidy is $50/year; i.e., $50 off for 1-year, $100 off for 2-year.

Not from the dealers' perspective, John. The 'subsidy' includes the
commission.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 7:21:35 AM

In <g7rnq0pepj04jj1f77q4lgdkbn0bgl6in5@4ax.com> on Tue, 30 Nov 2004 03:47:21
GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:46:22 GMT, John Navas
><spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> said in alt.cellular.cingular:
>
>>In <2liiq01pntiddutvln7dnjvg6a3e74qtbp@4ax.com> on Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:53:06
>>GMT, Al Klein <rukbat@verizon.org> wrote:
>
>>>Go to any dealer and ask the price of the phone you want for an
>>>'outright buy'. (Be prepared for sticker shock - the prices are
>>>nowhere near the ones on Cingular's site. They subsidize the price if
>>>you extend for 2 years.)
>
>>The subsidy is $50/year; i.e., $50 off for 1-year, $100 off for 2-year.
>
>Not from the dealers' perspective, John. The 'subsidy' includes the
>commission.

Cingular will sell the phone 'outright' without subsidy according to the
numbers I stated -- no need to go to a 3rd-party dealer.