HP Photosmart Scanner Driver (XP)

I'd like to use my original SCSI Photosmart scanner on a new PC
running Win XP. I downloaded what is supposedly the XP "version" from
HP labeled "PhotoSmart Scanner (SCSI) and S20/S20xi Photo Scanner
(USB) Software". http://tinyurl.com/5lz3x

Has anyone had any success getting an old Photosmart scanner with the
included SCSI card to run on XP with this software? The page
describing the installation for XP http://tinyurl.com/4fgyb says an
updated driver for the Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI Host Adapter must
be downloaded from the LSI Logic site, 416w2k.zip. Apparently it's
not included in the HP package. Unfortunately LSI Logic no longer
seems to support the card since that file isn't there.

The whole thing is ridiculous. I hate to trash the scanner since it
really works well but unless someone can offer any suggestions there
doesn't seem to much in the way of alternatives. SCSI to USB
converters seem to be iffy, as do other SCSI cards, and file
416w2k.zip (which I have my doubts about) isn't available from LSI.

Thanks.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:25:41 -0400 in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, George
Wirth <geo_remove_wirth@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'd like to use my original SCSI Photosmart scanner on a new PC
>running Win XP. I downloaded what is supposedly the XP "version" from
>HP labeled "PhotoSmart Scanner (SCSI) and S20/S20xi Photo Scanner
>(USB) Software". http://tinyurl.com/5lz3x
>
>Has anyone had any success getting an old Photosmart scanner with the
>included SCSI card to run on XP with this software? The page
>describing the installation for XP http://tinyurl.com/4fgyb says an
>updated driver for the Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI Host Adapter must
>be downloaded from the LSI Logic site, 416w2k.zip. Apparently it's
>not included in the HP package. Unfortunately LSI Logic no longer
>seems to support the card since that file isn't there.
>
>The whole thing is ridiculous. I hate to trash the scanner since it
>really works well but unless someone can offer any suggestions there
>doesn't seem to much in the way of alternatives. SCSI to USB
>converters seem to be iffy, as do other SCSI cards, and file
>416w2k.zip (which I have my doubts about) isn't available from LSI.

Try:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=43542
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?action=download&driverid=43542
and do a virus scan after unzipping.